CA Atlantic Canada Trip planning to Labrador and Newfoundland via James Bay Road

• HTML tutorial

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I'm currently trying to plan for another exploration trip back to Newfoundland in summer 2019. I have about 17 days and my route planning as the map below. Leaving MA to Quebec and explore James Bay Road. Spend a few days exploring JBR to Chisasibi/Radisson. Then head to Trans-labrador Highway via North Road. Cross to Newfoundland via Ferry. We will spend more time exploring the east side of the island (St. John, Twilingate, Fogo Island).

Anyone has any good recommendation on camping spot along James Bay Road, North Road, Trans-Labrador highway and Newfoundland? I'm pulling a trailer with a RTT.

JBR.JPG

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Rawimage.ca

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Gagnon
Member #

I'm currently trying to plan for another exploration trip back to Newfoundland in summer 2019. I have about 17 days and my route planning as the map below. Leaving MA to Quebec and explore James Bay Road. Spend a few days exploring JBR to Chisasibi/Radisson. Then head to Trans-labrador Highway via North Road. Cross to Newfoundland via Ferry. We will spend more time exploring the east side of the island (St. John, Twilingate, Fogo Island).

Anyone has any good recommendation on camping spot along James Bay Road, North Road, Trans-Labrador highway and Newfoundland? I'm pulling a trailer with a RTT.

View attachment 82186
Camping along the James Bay road has many off the grid campsites, should be a good remote trip, i’ll Be there in Radisson in September photographing northern lights and attending a pow wow. Check out iOverlander there’s good campsites for the road you will be doing, if you are in James Bay in September we could meet up. Safe travels

Reactions: CampWithChin

Canadian Joe

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

My wife and did much of your intended route August of 2018 ,we did not go up to Radisson . We took 18 days coming from southern Ontario,Canada. This was our second trip to Newfoundland ,the first we spent most of our time on the north coast. To complete your proposed trip your are going to be doing a lot of hard core driving.
We found some great rough camping spots . Great people there

Attachments

Wandering Bison

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Overlanding The Americas
First Name
JS
Last Name
Bergeron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE4 JSB
We’ll be making the trip from Manitoba, towards Québec, Labrador and Newfoundland in August, to eventually making our way to PEI and Nova Scotia in September.

I’m just starting to wrap my head around the trip so I won’t be able to offer much right now, but I will most definitely keep an eye out for your plans.

Maybe our paths will cross.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

We’ll be making the trip from Manitoba, towards Québec, Labrador and Newfoundland in August, to eventually making our way to PEI and Nova Scotia in September.

I’m just starting to wrap my head around the trip so I won’t be able to offer much right now, but I will most definitely keep an eye out for your plans.

Maybe our paths will cross.
Possible. We are still looking at the departure date. It will be late june, july or august. No later than August due to kids school start end of Aug. We have been to Newfoundland in 2016. This will be our 2nd trip to Newfoundland as we want to continue to explore the area.

The little side trip upper around the Cabot Trail is definitely worth doing as well you should go to Meat Cove
View attachment 90080
I've been to Meat Cove. The campground on the rocky cliff/ledge is awesome. I even try a bowl of seafood chowder from the campground restaurant.

Reactions: Canadian Joe

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

My wife and did much of your intended route August of 2018 ,we did not go up to Radisson . We took 18 days coming from southern Ontario,Canada. This was our second trip to Newfoundland ,the first we spent most of our time on the north coast. To complete your proposed trip your are going to be doing a lot of hard core driving.
We found some great rough camping spots . Great people there
@Canadian Joe Thanks for the info. Awesome picture. Our first trip in 2016, we actually basecamp inside campground due to pop up camper. Since 2018, we switch to RTT. Now, I'm looking for dispersed camping spot. We have more freedom to travel offgrid and camped in remote location.

This trip, we are mostly trying to explore the east side of NL and Labrador.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Sadly to say, this plan is postponed. Due to limited time available, I have plan C in place. We will be touring the Canada Maritime coast. Starting from Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Sadly to say, this plan is postponed. Due to limited time available, I have plan C in place. We will be touring the Canada Maritime coast. Starting from Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.

It will still be a great trip! If you come through Portland Maine area and I'm not away, let's meet up for coffee or something. I'll be back n forth all summer, looks like, then heading back down to the borderlands of West Texas to do some work

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

We did a 13 days trip. It was an awesome trip as I got to meet some great OB members from Canada Atlantic region. We have a short 2 hrs meet & greet at Tim Hortons Dartmouth NS.

Here is our route.

73C4C528-7812-4EB3-B4AB-12AD88990454.png