Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

My wife and I sleep in the hammocks as often as possible when camping! By far the best sleep I have gotten out in the wild. The down side is that it can take some effort to learn the essentials, find the right gear, and practice setting up and getting everything adjusted. The payoff is big though, IMO.

Hammock 1.jpg

Even when it's chilly out! :p

Hammock 2.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey @Fuzzy Briggs - I had a father and son camp next to me in the Smokies that both had Warbonnet hammocks and raved about them, though can't say for sure which models they have. I tried out the father's hammock and loved the way there are pouch areas for both head and feet off of center to opposing sides, so you lay flat and comfortable. They were there on a sub-freezing night and were fine. I'm looking into getting one for myself.

McEasy

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

San Clemente
Member #

I use a Yukon Outfitters hammock both for camping and in the field/on deployment. Can't beat it! I usually string it between the back of my FJ or humvee and a convenient tree. Add a tarp, and you're gold!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Anyone else camp in hammocks here? My whole family has them and it's a damn comfortable way to sleep. My grandkids love em!
Have for years. Before it was really a thing I started swing in hammocks when on rafting trips. Had had one of the original designs of the North American Clark Hammock. I have since moved to a more modular system which is a lot more versatile and comfortable.

I am a big guy and air mattress don't do well for me and I hate sleeping on the ground.

I love the fact you can rig up just about anywhere. No worries about rain run off or rocky uneven ground.

I also get to use my Hammock at work some days. I figure if I get time to rig my Hammock we are having a good day. If I get to swing in my Hammock we are having a great day. [emoji41] [emoji106]

Sent from my "Smart Phone"

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Yep I have become a full time hammocker. It is the best night's sleep I ever get.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Curious.. .how is this on your back? Does it curve/arch your back? Is this only for young nimble wiper snappers?

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Curious.. .how is this on your back? Does it curve/arch your back? Is this only for young nimble wiper snappers?
When the hammock is setup right and you know how to lay in it none of those things are an issue. A hammock was originally designed as a sleeping platform, we just forget that over the years. When you get your system right the hammock comforts to you with pressure points.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I find it is not as good as my bed at home but out in the world I love it. I can never really get comfortable sleeping on the ground. Closes I come when camping is if I use an over sized inflatable air mattress which often sags at the end of the night.

It can take a couple of tries to dial in a Hammock rig. But they are so light wieght and quick to set up that you can experiment just about anywhere for a quick afternoon siesta. [emoji42]

Sent from my "Smart Phone"

A lot of people think you lay "banana" style in a hammock which is wrong. When suspended right (typically 30*) you lay at an angle, head offset from center one way and feet offset from center the other way. This allows you to lay flat. I'm a side sleeper and sleep very comfortable in mine. Also, stay a way from the cheap Chinese hammocks on Amazon. They're usually too short and a single layer hammock which allows the skeeters to bite thru the fabric. You can get by with a 10' long hammock if your 5' tall, but over that you want at least a hammock 11' long.2302 (1).JPG