Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
What would you recommend for road rash? How do I tell when it's something I can deal with or if it's too deep and will need a trip to the hospital?
Hydrocolloid dressing (duoderm is an example), I'm a long distance runner and take tumbles occasionally and that stuff does wonders to heal up road rash!

YoOldDude

Rank I

Contributor III

Pacific Northwest USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Maine
How big a patch is scraped up? Generally if you aren’t sure if you should go to the E. R. you should probably just go on in. If you are digging little pieces of the road out of it you might as well go in and have it done right before it gets infected. Believe me it is a whole lot less painful to have it treated while it is fresh than it is a day or so later when they have to scrape all those scabs and matted hair off a quarter of your body to clean you up.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

After sliding down the road a couple times at 40 plus mph (M/C crash) I found A&D ointment (yup, same stuff you used on your babies butt for diaper rash) is wonderful! Kept me from having a debridement in a couple places.Can say enough about it, simple is always best

gritt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Buford, GA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
R
Two of my kids are competitive cyclists and have had their fair share of crashes, leading to a lot of road rash treatment over the years. The two things we have found to work the best are tegaderm dressings and silvadene cream, the latter which is technically for burns but does a great job if you can get your hands on it.

My son will leave tegaderm on until it's basically healed, he'll change them out when needed, but always keeps them on. My daughter doesn't crash as much as the women's races are marginally tamer.

As others have recommended, if unsure definitely a good idea to get seen.

Reactions: velo47