Tread Lightly! Four Wheel Drive Way in Ocala NF

• HTML tutorial

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Looking for info on the Tread Lightly! Four Wheel Drive Way in Ocala National Forest. The FS website says its open and to download the Motor Vehicle Use Maps, but I can't seem to find anything about which roads are actually included in the 81-mile trail. Anybody have any info or GPX coordinates?

Reactions: Nivar3

Farmjeepwrangler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Brandon
First Name
Ross
Last Name
Bruno
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG288
Download Avenza app and then get the free ONF map. You can use any of the roads on that map. The 81 mile trail is just referring to 81 miles of additional trails that have In the past been closed to street legal 4x4's,they are now opened. However, they do close them from time to time if they get too soupy.

Avenza maps works without cell/internet service.

dbungard

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

TN
Member #

Download Avenza app and then get the free ONF map. You can use any of the roads on that map. The 81 mile trail is just referring to 81 miles of additional trails that have In the past been closed to street legal 4x4's,they are now opened. However, they do close them from time to time if they get too soupy.

Avenza maps works without cell/internet service.
ah, thanks for the help and explanation.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
did anyone have any luck locating the trail? Im thinking of going to ONF on the first to wheel and maybe check out some of the caves. I have avenue and GAIA but not sure how to lo cate the trails that your talking about in ONF or what to look for. Any thoughts or anyone willing to meet up and ride on Wednesday January 1'st

DickD1911

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Escambia County, Florida, United States
First Name
Dick
Last Name
DiVittorio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4QKP
The U.S. Forestry Service has now published a map of the 81 mile trails called Tread Lightly Four Wheel Drive Way.
You can download the map with the trail outlined.

It is now also a Jeep Badge of Honor.
And Jeeps can earn a hard badge within the JBoH app.

Reactions: Nivar3 and gonzoy5

Wildlee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Navarre Fl
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Passenier
Member #

The U.S. Forestry Service has now published a map of the 81 mile trails called Tread Lightly Four Wheel Drive Way.
You can download the map with the trail outlined.

It is now also a Jeep Badge of Honor.
And Jeeps can earn a hard badge within the JBoH app.
I was just looking at JBoH app and bumped it against some other maps. It appears the trail is most for ATV/UTV traffic. But didn't a group just find the actual trail? The wife want to hit this up in here 18 JLU Rubicon. since its the only Florida badge.

DickD1911

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Dick
Last Name
DiVittorio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4QKP
Check out the link to the map in my post.
This is reported to be the 81 miles of trails which make up the BOH.

The outline of the trail indicated on the Jeep badge is not correct.
The badge shows an outline of the Centennial Trail which seems to be for ohv only and not for highway licensed vehicles.

BTW,
There is a trail cleanup planned for Aug 8 at the trailhead of the Tread Lightly Four Wheel Drive Way.
The plan is to widen the trail to reduce the notorious Ocala pinstriping.

FSUJester

Rank II

Member I

Miami
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Espino
Member #

Has anyone found this trail? I would like to know where you can enter the trail. Thanks.

DickD1911

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Dick
Last Name
DiVittorio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4QKP
Check out the link to the forestry map in reply #10.
You can enter from the south or north end.
Many of us from the Orlando Jeep Club have run the trail.
It is stock friendly and open year round.
During hunting season be sure to be courteous to the hunters and not get an early start.

FSUJester

Rank II

Member I

Miami
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Espino
Member #

Check out the link to the forestry map in reply #10.
You can enter from the south or north end.
Many of us from the Orlando Jeep Club have run the trail.
It is stock friendly and open year round.
During hunting season be sure to be courteous to the hunters and not get an early start.
Thanks. Last night I saw some videos of folks with the Orlando Jeep Club doing the trail. Is it still pretty narrow? I’ve got someone with a new jeep that doesn’t want pinstripes.

Reactions: DickD1911

I’ve downloaded the motor vehicle black and white map, can’t seem to figure out where the tread lightly 4wd trail is. Does anyone have a copy with the trail highlighted?

DickD1911

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Dick
Last Name
DiVittorio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4QKP

I downloaded Dropbox and Gaia gps, now I just need to figure it out. Thanks for the map, that’s exactly what I needed. We’ve been searching for 3 days now. Thanks again.

Reactions: DickD1911

PepperE

Rank 0

Contributor I

Charlottesville, VA, USA
First Name
Pepper
Last Name
Ernest
Here is a link to the gpx files.

I use gaia gps.
Thanks for the drop box file - I’m coming down from Virginia in February and this will be really helpful. It does appear that a few sections of the recorded route are not on a mapped trail/road - are licensed vehicles required to stay on approved roads only? When I lived in Fla we ran several Safari Triathlons in ONF in the 90’s and ran a number of areas that I believe are closed today. Thanks again!