TRAVELS: What animal have you seen increase in number the most?

• HTML tutorial

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

That human attack occurred within 7 miles of my house. A few years ago a 5 yr old was snatched off of a hiking trail while with a church group, within 20 miles of my house. They found parts of his remains a couple of years later.
I live by boyd lake as well over by the MCR hospital guess you call that neighborhood high plains village. I remember the little boy getting attacked. Kid was running between groups of people on the trail and went missing. Found lion tracks and the remains like you said. That lion attack up on horsetooth was crazy! Listing to that guy tell his story was a wow factor!

Creepy thing about a lion is they’ll kill just to kill stash something in a bush and come back later. Had one kill a calf one time and watched over the kill that next night and he came back... come up on deer kills a few times as well.

Wolves. Theyll just eat the rear end out of an animal. Move along. Seen vidoes of a cow that was still a live walking around and rear end was completely tore up from a lone wolf

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
About 20 years ago when I first moved to a new home off of Taft and 45th, I saw tracks in the fresh excavated dirt at the end of my street.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

My better half use to live off of wilson and 43rd that neighborhood that butts right up to the foothills and shed always run up a gravel road along the foothills. Was always worried about that...snakes as well! All that building and excavation going around that time.. ground vibration brings those rattle snakes out like its no body’s business.. think thats the biggest picture with alot of attacks and sightings. Is this has been their land in their blood before it was ever ours. I look at it as its really just borrowing time from them. Or people get complacent about things. Like that guy that got attacked near horsetooth rock. If he had music playing on his phone or earpods he never would of heard something come up behind him..Like all these people that want a house on top of a hill in the woods. They dont take fire, animals other things into affect.

Was it last fall when bears kept getting into the stanley? Heard the other day that they are starting to come back out

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Some additional pics from a work trip to Canada. A Buffalo, And a caraboui . Never expected to see them in NW Canada, let alone in such numbers. The herd was eating salt off the road, and was over 50 animals, maybe as many as 75. The caraboui had also been eating the melting ice and chowing down on plants along the hwy. Saw a few of them, but not in any quantity. Although no pics, I saw moose also. But I expected to see some of them.

ALSO:

In Northern Idaho/Western Montana, saw a lone,wolf just outside BROWNING, later a wolf pack chasing a deer right next to the hwy coming South. In the same area, a huge herd of Elk thru the snow fog.

In Nevada:

The animals most recovered and now seen are the Elk herds in the north, antelope(Pronghorn), both in the North and Central areas, deer not so much due to mountain lion predication.

The Elk in Southern Nevada are limited to mostly the Mt. Charleston range due to the surrounding desert landscape. It has been a up and down battle with big horn sheep numbers, due to a couple of fatal disease outbreaks. NDW (Nevada Dept. Of Wildlife)
And University of Nevada Studies, have done numerous transplants to diversify the herds, to try to limit herd fatalities, and keep a viable gene diversity. View attachment 94003View attachment 94004View attachment 94005
A followup..

Here are ,pics of some big horn sheep in a public park, in Boulder City Nv. They come in from the surrounding mountains, and thru a housing track to eat the grass and find shade under the parks trees. They will let people get 50-70 feet from them before they spook. A lot of people come to observe them.

Under the trees.....expand to see easier.. Lake Mead in the background.

Year's ago I had a huge trophy RAM run across the street in front of me. A full curl horn plus (+) no hunting allowed of course
Even in the surrounding hills due to city boundaries and park restrictions in the area. 20170819_130815.jpeg20170819_130856.jpeg20170819_130833.jpeg

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

A followup..

Here are ,pics of some big horn sheep in a public park, in Boulder City Nv. They come in from the surrounding mountains, and thru a housing track to eat the grass and find shade under the parks trees. They will let people get 50-70 feet from them before they spook. A lot of people come to observe them.

Under the trees.....expand to see easier.. Lake Mead in the background.

Year's ago I had a huge trophy RAM run across the street in front of me. A full curl horn plus (+) no hunting allowed of course
Even in the surrounding hills due to city boundaries and park restrictions in the area. View attachment 94283View attachment 94284View attachment 94285
That is really cool to see! Big horns have to be one of my favorite animals to come across! Use to pack horses into the backcountry a lot and would come across them as they basic in the high altitude cool sun. Once was stopped and tied off doing some fishing on a alpine lake and a herd of them grazed up to use. Man it was like a bad of gypsies. Tried to steal everything! One tryed to run off with a soft lunch box. Others tried running of with a jacket and a hat.

Thank you for the pictures

Reactions: Desert Runner

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I was in Phoenix a few years ago ran up that highway 87 that goes to Winslow AZ. Had to run a trailer down to Tempe so didnt wanna drive back to colorado on interstate so took that way. Was cool that morning and went around one of the curves and had two desert big horns standing in the middle of the road. You wouldnt think a tick could live in that country but the wildlife that can live off the desert is amazing.. also how they adapt to their surroundings.

Last edited:

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

In central Oklahoma the deer seem to be everywhere the last couple of years.
In SE Oklahoma I have seen a huge increase in bear prints and scat but still haven't haven't seen any in person.
Then of course there is the ever growing (and out of control) hog population throughout the region.

Lead K9

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Franklin Park, Illinois
First Name
Lead
Last Name
Dog
Member #

Locally, I've encountered a few red foxes. Not very common until recently. There has been a decline in coyotes and feral cats, so I assume the foxes are thriving because of less competition. We even have a breeding pair in our neighborhood. Their kits seem interested in my Siberian huskies when we walk the dogs later at night.

Also, the number of European Starlings has increased. Their population was decimated a couple years ago by disease. They seem to be making a comeback.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Been seeing more turkeys alot lately as well.
The last few years, have seen a increase of turkeys in the back country around Duck Creek UT, and surrounding areas. Never used to see them at all. My BIL and my sister said this year they have seen so many Does with twins. A very wet winter and Spring this year. Foliage has been very plentiful, and water is in places rarely seen by mid-summer.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Populations of grey squirrel, red squirrel, and racoon are way down in southern NH due, says one park manager, to the increase in bobcat.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Out here in San Diego area Coyotes are having a banner year. We have had them enter into yards and approach people in our neighborhood. More rain this year = more rabbit food = more rabbits = more coyotes. Although when they run through the rabbits they look elsewhere and unfortunately it has been some pets. Another animal is Crows. Seems like the Cow population has exploded the last 10 years. Finally, in our San Diego mountains, the Turkey population is huge now. Turkeys were introduced in the late 80s. The first batch didn't do well. Fish and Game said it because the first winter was a harsh winter. 243 birds were again introduced in 1993. Turkeys clutch 4 - 17 eggs at a time. The population has exploded and their range is expanding. 10 years ago the population was estimated to exceed 30,000.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Growth in Northwest Arkansas is insane ... as such, there are a lot of animals being displaced as previously undeveloped areas are now being developed. Fifteen years ago, my first job out of college was for a small weekly newspaper. There was an accident involving a deer practically every day. I still see a lot of deer, but, now, I am seeing a lot of foxes.