Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Jones Jr
Member #

Just popped in my head and I just want to know about the need to have water on hand when doing overlanding. I was also wondering how individuals here have set up their rig to pump water out via electrical pump when storing it in water certified Jerry cans another thing I thought about was the fact when you're near streams camping can you have a water pump system that not only collects water but filter is it at a fast pace and with a high-performance filter to clean any particles and debris + toxins that can make you sick I eat bacteria viruses so on so forth.

Also if you would indulge me some examples of your rig setup to not only carry water but catch a few cans full and keep it on the move what are can sustain us, help us to be clean, and make life a lot easier in hotter climates and have clean fresh water in the winter to heat up for drinking or bathing also eating as well

Dodge Cummins

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arlington Texas
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Garland
My Cummins 4x4 with 42" tires, cut out fenders, ARB lockers front and rear, 17K winch, All breather tubes extended up into interior of cabin,20161009_26a.jpg decked system etc...

Reactions: Mikeblack

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I have 2 water cans 1 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon which on I carry depends on the trip length. Water filters are tough, as it depends what kind of water source you are filtering. Here in BC most water, away for civilization is clear so the issue is contaminants, then you get into micron sizes etc.

If in doubt you can follow a 3 step plan it just takes time, a hour or so depending on the volume

1. Filter
  2. Treat
  3. Boil
For treatment a product similar to this : Katadyn MicroPur MP1 Water Treatment Tablets would work but you need to do some research not all treatment are the same.
Filters are tough but I like this method : Platypus GravityWorks 4.0L Filter System - mostly because it is load up and forget

I will note I carry water, I did research on the filtration and treatment decided against it. I carry water for cooking and consumption. And use local water for washing and cleaning, and up here there is always local water that can be boiled and used for those purposes.

Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
water.JPG

I have 25 gallon tank that is made for crop spraying from an ATV. It is certified good for drinking water and came with a 2.2 gpm on-demand 12 volt pump. I filter the water as I fill the tank with one of those blue filters attached to a drinking-water hose. This was good enough for me but not the g/f; now I also carry two 5 gallon water-cooler bottles and a hand-pump.

Cabin Fever

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

2-5 gal Scepter water cans. Nemo Helio water bag for showers, dishes. Fill camelbaks and cary a couple gallon jugs of drinking water. Also carry a water filter that I never really need. I keep thinking I need more capacity, but it is just 2 of us and usually able to find a resupply long before we run low.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Depends on length of trip for me. WHen I lived in the NW, water is abundant and usually only needs treatment and boiling. Down here in Texas, not so much. I just dont trust it. We use between 14, 5 gallon cans like above from Amazon or if its just me and my dog, 1, 5 gallon and a 2 gallon Rotopax. Lots of guys use Rotopax fuel and water can mounted inside their bed for ease of use.

rotopax.com