Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

Just responding in line to get an understanding, not trying to be a dick.

Unfortunately it never got as far as partnering with the agencies.
What happened that you had to stop there?

I no longer can charge for the trail due to the ton of shit I received from others, including yourself Ian in your above post.
Yeah, I gave you a bit of shit, because I am grateful for what you have done and accomplished, and I feel like your being a little cocky about your work. It's one thing to be proud, its another thing to shoot morale down. Also, if you wanted to charge for it, again I would be more than glad to contribute.

I was only trying to protect the trail from misusers
I always believed this to be the case, especially after we spoke, I saw your head and heart were in the right spot

Think what you want but I had great intentions and big dreams of this trail actually becoming something bigger than what it really was.
It can still very much so be, all it takes is a few people to put in the work and make sure that the job is done right. This could be a huge opportunity not for the overland community, but something for the DEP or PPA to be proud of; something that not many states have especially on the east coast.

DVC couldn't have said it better, we all seem to want the same thing; A well kept trail with a positive reputation with the agencies that govern it. Let's all find a way to do just that

Reactions: Xplorr313 and DVC

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Looks to me like there's no argument to be had here, just a misunderstanding...
I (and I imagine others) would be more than happy to do the following:

• Contribute some money in respect of the great work done to map out the trails and work with the agencies to spread good faith toward the overlanding community

• Commit to treating access to the trail system as a privilege that must be respected in order to preserve said privilege (i.e. Don't drive or even tread where we're not supposed to; Don't drive in a manner, or in conditions that will result in degrading the trails; Pack out whatever we bring in (and maybe remnants that others lacking in consideration leave behind).

• Look forward to meeting up with other local overlanders to enjoy some exploration.

We're all in this together, so let's give each other the benefit of the doubt until there's a good reason to do otherwise.
Well said DVC!

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
What happened that you had to stop there?
I just didn’t pursue it any further. My focus changed and ultimately, I closed down MAX and sold off the rig. Many of people wanted MAX to become a guided tour business. It would have been great but I decided against it.

I apologize if I came off as being cocky. By no means do I mean for it to seem like that, I’m sorry.

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

I just didn’t pursue it any further. My focus changed and ultimately, I closed down MAX and sold off the rig. Many of people wanted MAX to become a guided tour business. It would have been great but I decided against it.

I apologize if I came off as being cocky. By no means do I mean for it to seem like that, I’m sorry.
Damn, if people wanted you to do guided tours you should have sold off the brand, would have made a little cheddar on the side to help pay the bills. I hear you on your focus changing; life happens and shit comes up. I really wanted to get a 4R-TRD PRO but there were no good offers and opportunities at the time. I had to bite the bullet and buy a 2017 3.6R Outback since my old green one needed some mechanical work at the time.

No worries man. I'm sorry for stepping on your toes like that. it wasn't my intentions by any means

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Damn, if people wanted you to do guided tours you should have sold off the brand, would have made a little cheddar on the side to help pay the bills. I hear you on your focus changing; life happens and shit comes up. I really wanted to get a 4R-TRD PRO but there were no good offers and opportunities at the time. I had to bite the bullet and buy a 2017 3.6R Outback since my old green one needed some mechanical work at the time.

No worries man. I'm sorry for stepping on your toes like that. it wasn't my intentions by any means
It’s all good bro. I still have the adventure bike and as Michael says, it doesn’t matter what you drive; right? Lmao! Maybe we can get together sometime and run some trails.

I thought about it long and hard but I didn’t want to turn my hobby into a job ya know?

Reactions: Ian McAdorey

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
All of y’all are going to have a blast on the trail. Just a heads up from my past experiences, don’t have too large of a group.

1, it causes way too much attention and attention is a very bad thing once you reach the pine barrens. Rangers and Park Police tend to see large groups of 4x4s as “off-roaders” and their definition of an off-roader is someone who purposely goes off the trail and destructs the park property. I have taken very large groups (25+ trucks) out into the pine barrens before and have never been hasseled and then there were times I had taken a group of 5-10 trucks out and I got issued a warning ticket since I was the leader of the group. No one else in the group got a ticket.

2, too large of a group WILL slow you down if you’re trying to do the whole trail in 3-4 days. I’ve done sections of the trail with 4-5 trucks before and it ended up taking 2-3 hours longer on the sections than when I did the trail myself. This is due to those wanting to stop and take photos and sight see. If you’re just doing a section for a day out, you’ll be fine with 4-5 trucks. When I did this, I always broke it down like this:

High Point to Princeton (Quaker Bridge Mall on Route 1) as the northern section, its long, 200+ mile long and would usually take about 8-10 hours to complete.

Princeton (Quaker Bridge Mall) to Batsto Village as the central section, its like 120+ miles long and usually took 6-10 hours to complete. This depended on how much you stopped to sight see. This section begins a lot of dirt travel, I’d say 80% of it is the pine barrens. Get ready for fun!

And finally, Batsto Village to Cape May as the southern section, its 120+ miles and would usually take 6-9 hours to complete. This section is about 40-50% woods/dirt roads. Once you reach Moore’s Beach, there’s only one more short section of dirt after that and then the rest is asphalt to Cape May.

When I ran the whole trail by myself back in April 2017, I broke it down like this:

Day 1: High Point to Round Valley Reservoir

Day 2: Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T Byrne State Forest

Day 3: Brendan T Byrne State Forest to Belleplain State Forest

Day 4: Belleplain State Forest to Cape May (50 miles and could have been done on Day 3 instead of pushing it off onto Day 4. I did it on Day 4 cause once I reached Cape May, I would just drive home then that afternoon instead of arriving at Cape May late in the day on Day 3 and then trying to drive home.)

I hope this helps y’all out some. I’ve always had planned to make the TNJT into 4 different routes, North Section, Central Section, Southern Section, and then the whole trail. I still might do this if I get the spare time. This would make it easier for those who only want to do a section at a time. Let me know if these Section routes interest you and if so I’ll make time to make them.

FULLRUNNEROVERLANDING

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

NJ
Member #

All of y’all are going to have a blast on the trail. Just a heads up from my past experiences, don’t have too large of a group.

1, it causes way too much attention and attention is a very bad thing once you reach the pine barrens. Rangers and Park Police tend to see large groups of 4x4s as “off-roaders” and their definition of an off-roader is someone who purposely goes off the trail and destructs the park property. I have taken very large groups (25+ trucks) out into the pine barrens before and have never been hasseled and then there were times I had taken a group of 5-10 trucks out and I got issued a warning ticket since I was the leader of the group. No one else in the group got a ticket.

2, too large of a group WILL slow you down if you’re trying to do the whole trail in 3-4 days. I’ve done sections of the trail with 4-5 trucks before and it ended up taking 2-3 hours longer on the sections than when I did the trail myself. This is due to those wanting to stop and take photos and sight see. If you’re just doing a section for a day out, you’ll be fine with 4-5 trucks. When I did this, I always broke it down like this:

High Point to Princeton (Quaker Bridge Mall on Route 1) as the northern section, its long, 200+ mile long and would usually take about 8-10 hours to complete.

Princeton (Quaker Bridge Mall) to Batsto Village as the central section, its like 120+ miles long and usually took 6-10 hours to complete. This depended on how much you stopped to sight see. This section begins a lot of dirt travel, I’d say 80% of it is the pine barrens. Get ready for fun!

And finally, Batsto Village to Cape May as the southern section, its 120+ miles and would usually take 6-9 hours to complete. This section is about 40-50% woods/dirt roads. Once you reach Moore’s Beach, there’s only one more short section of dirt after that and then the rest is asphalt to Cape May.

When I ran the whole trail by myself back in April 2017, I broke it down like this:

Day 1: High Point to Round Valley Reservoir

Day 2: Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T Byrne State Forest

Day 3: Brendan T Byrne State Forest to Belleplain State Forest

Day 4: Belleplain State Forest to Cape May (50 miles and could have been done on Day 3 instead of pushing it off onto Day 4. I did it on Day 4 cause once I reached Cape May, I would just drive home then that afternoon instead of arriving at Cape May late in the day on Day 3 and then trying to drive home.)

I hope this helps y’all out some. I’ve always had planned to make the TNJT into 4 different routes, North Section, Central Section, Southern Section, and then the whole trail. I still might do this if I get the spare time. This would make it easier for those who only want to do a section at a time. Let me know if these Section routes interest you and if so I’ll make time to make them.
Thanks for the info! I would be interested in tackling the trail in sections due to the fact that I may want to take some or all 5 kids with me some time! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DVC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hackettstown, NJ
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
R
Member #

... When I did this, I always broke it down like this:

And finally, Batsto Village to Cape May as the southern section, its 120+ miles and would usually take 6-9 hours to complete. This section is about 40-50% woods/dirt roads. Once you reach Moore’s Beach, there’s only one more short section of dirt after that and then the rest is asphalt to Cape May...
Great info - thanks! What would you estimate the percentage of the Northern section that's off paved roads?

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
Great info - thanks! What would you estimate the percentage of the Northern section that's off paved roads?
No problem. Ummm I would say something like 25-40% depending where you consider the north section to end. If you go by my High Point to Princeton North Section, I would say maybe 35-40%. If you go by what I did on Day 1, I’d say 25-30%.

Sarab Loh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hartsdale, Ny
First Name
Deep
Last Name
Singh
Member #

No problem. Ummm I would say something like 25-40% depending where you consider the north section to end. If you go by my High Point to Princeton North Section, I would say maybe 35-40%. If you go by what I did on Day 1, I’d say 25-30%.
You're awesome! I heard some NJ 4runner TRD's were out in Jackson this past weekend and got fines of $200 for "driving on an unpaved road".
-Is there any specific documentation that you may have from when you worked with the DEP while designing the route?
-The gpx file I have is the follow, if the file you provide the same as this one?

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/FeereITUI6XXv1Ep7jJdlTvK/FeereITUI6XXv1Ep7jJdlTvK?layer=mapquestaerial

Xplorr313

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlington, NJ
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WQYY816
You're awesome! I heard some NJ 4runner TRD's were out in Jackson this past weekend and got fines of $200 for "driving on an unpaved road".
-Is there any specific documentation that you may have from when you worked with the DEP while designing the route?
-The gpx file I have is the follow, if the file you provide the same as this one?

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/FeereITUI6XXv1Ep7jJdlTvK/FeereITUI6XXv1Ep7jJdlTvK?layer=mapquestaerial
No, that is not my version of the route. My version is 100% legal roads that you’re allowed to be on.

I’m about 10000% sure that the roads they got ticketed on were where the hill climbs are in Jackson. The original enduro bike route had you go through this section. My route avoids this section.

I do not have any paper work from the DEP, sorry. I wish I did but even if I did, I don’t think it would even matter.