Trans-America Trail

• HTML tutorial

BWSracing

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Reston VA
I’m thinking this might be a decent way to finish our trip. We will have about 6 days to make it from CA to VA so I will take the path of least resistance when needed but don’t just want to hit the highway all the way home.

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
I’m thinking this might be a decent way to finish our trip. We will have about 6 days to make it from CA to VA so I will take the path of least resistance when needed but don’t just want to hit the highway all the way home.
Def not enough time.. took me almost a month one way.. but even a couple of days on it, is better than no days!!

Alex Beckett

Rank 0

Traveler I

Austin
Here are a couple pictures of the rear storage that I finished up today. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I am definitely considering purchasing a Smittybilt rear bumper with storage for 2 jerry cans (1 fuel, 1 water).

Front Runner Interior rack and tail gate table. The bottom silver is 2 camp tables by Coleman, then a Coleman stove. Plastic drawer to hold general camp supplies and some condiments. Dry food storage will be in the 2 wolf pack boxes on the interior rack. An emergency box of food will be stored on the roof rack in water proof box. A 70l cooler built by RTIC will keep all temperature dependent food food (and beer of course). 2-5 gallon jugs of water. Also bought the Nalgene caps to keep them sealed when traveling (the spouts on these like to break). The yellow bag keeps most of the recovery gear. Trauma bag is next to that.

Here is a shot from the other side. Both of the MTM boxes have spare fluids, jumper cables, etc. Considering not carrying as much fluid to condense 2 boxes into 1. Also everything that is in this unit is secured by straps. The unit itself will be secured to the jeep using the factory lashing points. All of the compressor stuff (air lines, tire gauge) along with the winch controlled is in a tan bag on the rack next to the window. 3 bag of tools are currently underneath the back row of seats.

This entire unit cost about $15o in materials to make myself. Its not very fancy, but gets the job done. Im not sure how many pounds the Interior rack is rated to hold, but like I said before, I really want to get the water off of that and lower the center of gravity. The rear bumper is just pretty pricey.

On this trip, the Jeep needs to hold myself, girlfriend and our 1 year old Lab. So far its looking like we will have just enough room. Clothes are probably going to be stored on the roof rack in a water proof container.

I just ordered the RTT today $$$$$!! Should be here in a week or so, def will get some pictures of it all set up.

Let me know what you guys think!!
Noticed that you are running the Backbone system with the Frontrunner interior shelf. Were there any issues with the two since they use the same mounting area? Thanks!

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

My wife and I completed the TAT a few months ago. What an experience! Let me know if there any questions!
My gf and I are about to tackle the TAT in April 2019. We are taking NC to CA route. We will be documenting our trip on YouTube. Nikko and Lee is the name of our new channel.

I’d like to hear what helped you guys out when finding camp and time frames during a days trek. About how long were your days and how many miles were covered on average per day. What did you guys do for food and how did you pin point gas stations along your routes... thanks.

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
My gf and I are about to tackle the TAT in April 2019. We are taking NC to CA route. We will be documenting our trip on YouTube. Nikko and Lee is the name of our new channel.

I’d like to hear what helped you guys out when finding camp and time frames during a days trek. About how long were your days and how many miles were covered on average per day. What did you guys do for food and how did you pin point gas stations along your routes... thanks.
If you buy sams maps.. it has the gas stations on the routes for you.. to be honest on the trail we had no shortage of fuel.. as far as food we invested in an ARB fridge and it was well worth it.. as far as camp sites we used an app called iOverlander.. we also documented our trip and how my wife packed the fridge

Reactions: Nickzero

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

Hello all!

Currently in the middle of planning a trip to complete the TAT! Vehicle is a 2016 4 door JK. If anybody has any tips, cool things to do or see along the way, or recommendations please let me know! The trip is slated to begin May 28th, and finish some time late June/Early July. We also then have to drive back to Wisconsin, and plan on stopping at a couple of parks the way back as well.

EDIT: I guess I should have included a few other things worth noting. I've done a fair amount of research on the TAT and all things related. I bought the maps and roll charts as a back up and am planning on using the GPS plots from Sam loaded onto a Garmin as the primary navigation.

As for the gear, here is what I have so far....

Jeep: Smittybilt SRC Gen 2 w/ 9.5k winch, Rhino Roof Rack w/ Backbone system. sPod 6 bank, ARB on board compressor, Front Runner tailgate table, Front runner interior rack, Trasharoo.
Soon to Come for the Jeep: CVT Roof Top tent, Full 2.5 inch suspension lift from Teraflex, couple LED lights, MaxTraxs.

General Stuff: Full compliment of tools, ARB recovery kit, ARB compressor kit w/ pressure gauge, ARB tire repair kit, and a basic camping kitchen (coleman stove, dry storage, 2- 5 gallon water jugs) and RTIC 75L cooler (no fridge/freezer in this trips budget :( ) Full Trauma Kit & Basic Med Bag. Extra fluids.

Monday I will be making a rear storage system and will be sure to get some pictures up of it.

I'm also wondering what spare parts I should bring with? I'm pretty mechanically inclined (heavy equipment mechanic turned Firefighter/Paramedic) and with a brand new Jeep I am not terribly worried about breakage. I have a general idea with fuses, clamps, bolts, etc. But that's about it.

Thanks!

Bob

Hi, Im also planning a trip on the TAT next year. The adventure all depends on you brother. what you want to get out of it. I will say it looks like you jeep is already pretty well prepared and the trail itself wont put a terrible beating on it unless you decide to play at some spots along the way. Don't forget the basic stuff like tape, zipties, etc.

As for extra parts, depending on what you plan on doing. I would take the usually breakables (tie rod ends, ball joints) and if you have a manual transmission I recommend taking a clutch slave cylinder. they are pretty cheap and can go out while offroading and using the clutch a lot. im planning on taking a power steering pump b/c mine has gone out twice on me in my 07JK.

side note: if you haven't seen the videos of "sir William goes" on the TAT, you should check it out. he does a pretty good write up

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

If you buy sams maps.. it has the gas stations on the routes for you.. to be honest on the trail we had no shortage of fuel.. as far as food we invested in an ARB fridge and it was well worth it.. as far as camp sites we used an app called iOverlander.. we also documented our trip and how my wife packed the fridge

Awesome info. I am buying Sam's GPX maps today used in conjunction with GAIA gps.

I thought about installing a 15L dometic Fridge in the rig as well. I'll give them a call this week. I built a bed platform system in the rig for us with loads of storage space. (In progress) --- I'm glad Sam added the waypoints for gas stations , that helps loads! And yes ioverlander is a great app, I use it too. Q. Now that you completed the TAT what key things would you bring if you were to run it again? Thanks! We are still in our prep phase. Will be intercepting Overland Expo West on our way.

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
Awesome info. I am buying Sam's GPX maps today used in conjunction with GAIA gps.

I thought about installing a 15L dometic Fridge in the rig as well. I'll give them a call this week. I built a bed platform system in the rig for us with loads of storage space. (In progress) --- I'm glad Sam added the waypoints for gas stations , that helps loads! And yes ioverlander is a great app, I use it too. Q. Now that you completed the TAT what key things would you bring if you were to run it again? Thanks! We are still in our prep phase. Will be intercepting Overland Expo West on our way.
Fridge is a must
And some type of back up for your batteries just in case. Solar is probably the cheapest route.
Pack clothes for about 4 days and just do laundry where u can.
A lot of baby wipes go a long way.
And don’t over plan it, we didn’t set any time frames.. some places you want to spend more time some places aren’t what u expected and want to move on..
be careful in Oregon. GPS doesn’t work well there, we had a rough time for about 5-6 hours. We were higher on the mountain so the map and road wasn’t adding up.
But all in all.. I can’t wait to do it again..

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Fridge is a must
And some type of back up for your batteries just in case. Solar is probably the cheapest route.
Pack clothes for about 4 days and just do laundry where u can.
A lot of baby wipes go a long way.
And don’t over plan it, we didn’t set any time frames.. some places you want to spend more time some places aren’t what u expected and want to move on..
be careful in Oregon. GPS doesn’t work well there, we had a rough time for about 5-6 hours. We were higher on the mountain so the map and road wasn’t adding up.
But all in all.. I can’t wait to do it again..
This is great! I have been planning out my solar setup with a mppt charge controller, battery banks and AC converter system. Was thinking of going with a 100w mono panal on my gobi. Oh and what clothes / gear did you guys find yourself using mostly? Shorts Ts? Or hiking pants, under armor and long sleeves (cold weather)?

Rudyr03

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Miami fl
This is great! I have been planning out my solar setup with a mppt charge controller, battery banks and AC converter system. Was thinking of going with a 100w mono panal on my gobi. Oh and what clothes / gear did you guys find yourself using mostly? Shorts Ts? Or hiking pants, under armor and long sleeves (cold weather)?
I went with my 2 kids and they were 4 months and 1.5 year old at the time so I just went with the genesis off road dual battery kit. Works amazing
We went in August so it was warmer.. I wore sneakers, cargo shorts and t shirts 99% of the time..
definitely get a mr buddy heater. the single, you won’t need the dual.
And take a 5 gallon jug with fresh water.
You can pm if u want more in depth information.

Pow_For_Rob

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cumming, Ga
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Lingenfelter
Hello all!

Currently in the middle of planning a trip to complete the TAT! Vehicle is a 2016 4 door JK. If anybody has any tips, cool things to do or see along the way, or recommendations please let me know! The trip is slated to begin May 28th, and finish some time late June/Early July. We also then have to drive back to Wisconsin, and plan on stopping at a couple of parks the way back as well.

EDIT: I guess I should have included a few other things worth noting. I've done a fair amount of research on the TAT and all things related. I bought the maps and roll charts as a back up and am planning on using the GPS plots from Sam loaded onto a Garmin as the primary navigation.

As for the gear, here is what I have so far....

Jeep: Smittybilt SRC Gen 2 w/ 9.5k winch, Rhino Roof Rack w/ Backbone system. sPod 6 bank, ARB on board compressor, Front Runner tailgate table, Front runner interior rack, Trasharoo.
Soon to Come for the Jeep: CVT Roof Top tent, Full 2.5 inch suspension lift from Teraflex, couple LED lights, MaxTraxs.

General Stuff: Full compliment of tools, ARB recovery kit, ARB compressor kit w/ pressure gauge, ARB tire repair kit, and a basic camping kitchen (coleman stove, dry storage, 2- 5 gallon water jugs) and RTIC 75L cooler (no fridge/freezer in this trips budget :( ) Full Trauma Kit & Basic Med Bag. Extra fluids.

Monday I will be making a rear storage system and will be sure to get some pictures up of it.

I'm also wondering what spare parts I should bring with? I'm pretty mechanically inclined (heavy equipment mechanic turned Firefighter/Paramedic) and with a brand new Jeep I am not terribly worried about breakage. I have a general idea with fuses, clamps, bolts, etc. But that's about it.

Thanks!

Bob
Hey Bob,

You seem to have done your research. Do you know you can download a GPX file of the TAT that I can upload into my all trails and GAIA app? Let me know. Thanks.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I am going to read this entire thread tonight I am dying for information on this trail I am planning spring or summer 2021 to give it a go

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I'm planning on driving the TAT all the way starting end of spring 2020. Starting in NC. I'm looking for a travel partner in my vehicle and additional vehicles to come with us during portions or all the way. I believe it's time to start planning. I have no time constraints and would be happy to make side trips as there are so many great places to go.

Anyone interested please let me know.

Jean Klaude The Jeep

Rank VI
Investor

Traveler III

Lexington, Henderson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Shelby
Member #

I'm planning on driving the TAT all the way starting end of spring 2020. Starting in NC. I'm looking for a travel partner in my vehicle and additional vehicles to come with us during portions or all the way. I believe it's time to start planning. I have no time constraints and would be happy to make side trips as there are so many great places to go.

If schedule works I would be interested in joining you for a day or two around the savannah TN area, I’ve completed a large portion of the TN section. It’s just a bunch of back road country asphalt roads.

Reactions: DrivingTacoLoco

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Still looking. Anyone interested for part of the trip?

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
My wife and I want to travel about that time and several years ago we did the TAT from TN but got stopped due to snow, we made it up Engineer's Pass in CO until about 20 vertical feet from the peak. We were all locked up but spinning, and the drop offs made it prudent we go back the way we came. So we thought it might be nice to complete that trip (I completed it by motorcycle earlier that year.)
Our vehicle is in AZ (we are in PA) and we plan on going out there sometime, maybe from March on, so our plans are both up int the air and flexible.

Can you ping (whatever that is :-) me so we share contact info? I don't know how to do that.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

My wife and I want to travel about that time and several years ago we did the TAT from TN but got stopped due to snow, we made it up Engineer's Pass in CO until about 20 vertical feet from the peak. We were all locked up but spinning, and the drop offs made it prudent we go back the way we came. So we thought it might be nice to complete that trip (I completed it by motorcycle earlier that year.)
Our vehicle is in AZ (we are in PA) and we plan on going out there sometime, maybe from March on, so our plans are both up int the air and flexible.

Can you ping (whatever that is :-) me so we share contact info? I don't know how to do that.
Mac, We started this discussion at Expo East. Is your vehicle ready yet? You mentioned you were going to fly to the Arizona to get the new vehicle. is that still the plan? Did you want to meet out west somewhere or did your plans change?

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Our vehicle won't be ready until maybe March, at which time we will fly out and go somewhere, although our options will be limited at that time of the year due to the weather. We may go to Baja, but later when it gets warm my wife wants to go to AK.

SO our plans are up in the air. The camper build is going slow, and on top of that the number two guy in the shop building our camper cut off the end of one thumb, so he is out for 8 weeks, putting the camper even later, thus the ETA completion date is completely up in the air, but is getting closer.

The local Toyota dealer last week painted the frame, installed 2020 TRD Pro wheels (4.88 pounds lighter each), with Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires, and a few other items. All the rest of the vehicle work will be started this Thursday, so sliders, front bumper, 4.88 gears, winch install, etc.
That will complete the vehicle work except for electrical, relocating the battery to behind the cab, air compressor install in the same location; the bed is off the truck and a camper cradle has been built.
Last will be the Fox suspension and camper build, inside and out.

It is taking oh so long!! But it will be worth it.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Our vehicle won't be ready until maybe March, at which time we will fly out and go somewhere, although our options will be limited at that time of the year due to the weather. We may go to Baja, but later when it gets warm my wife wants to go to AK.

SO our plans are up in the air. The camper build is going slow, and on top of that the number two guy in the shop building our camper cut off the end of one thumb, so he is out for 8 weeks, putting the camper even later, thus the ETA completion date is completely up in the air, but is getting closer.

The local Toyota dealer last week painted the frame, installed 2020 TRD Pro wheels (4.88 pounds lighter each), with Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires, and a few other items. All the rest of the vehicle work will be started this Thursday, so sliders, front bumper, 4.88 gears, winch install, etc.
That will complete the vehicle work except for electrical, relocating the battery to behind the cab, air compressor install in the same location; the bed is off the truck and a camper cradle has been built.
Last will be the Fox suspension and camper build, inside and out.

It is taking oh so long!! But it will be worth it.
OK I will keep you informed of where I am and we can meet up out west.
Rich