DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Well it’s that time of year once again for my annual trans America trail. Every year I take a week or two and explore the trans America trail. This year will kick off in Trinidad Colorado. Plan is to take two weeks and enjoy some off road camping and exploring. Each year I have had anywhere from 10 vehicles to 4 on the trip. I generally start inviting around March and we head out in June. This year we will be meeting on June 9th and plan on spending 2 weeks running the trail. This is an open invitation, the more the better.

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Me and my Daughter are heading out to CO on the TAT stating in Elkton TN June the 15th probably won't get to CO till 20th but will keep a eye out for you just incase your still in the area enjoy your trip

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

I'm hitting the TAT first part of July. Hoping to take it all the way to the Oregon coast from NC before my vacation runs out. Looking for some cool places to hit on the way through if you know of any. Also, anyone want to join in all are welcome to tag along.

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

Has anyone done the "Shadow of the Rockies" part of the TAT? I'm just wondering how gnarly the CO section is, like should it be two+ vehicles? I was thinking about doing as much of that loop as possible the first week of July.

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

I have heard it’s not too bad. But no first hand knowledge of it. I will find out in July, I think the biggest issue was snow. Can’t see that being an issue in July though.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Has anyone done the "Shadow of the Rockies" part of the TAT? I'm just wondering how gnarly the CO section is, like should it be two+ vehicles? I was thinking about doing as much of that loop as possible the first week of July.
It’s always good practice to run two vehicles at least. I always try to because I have had small issues in the past that required a trip to the auto parts store. And the tat is pretty remote in a lot of places

Reactions: JPM78130

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

It’s always good practice to run two vehicles at least. I always try to because I have had small issues in the past that required a trip to the auto parts store. And the tat is pretty remote in a lot of places
Wells that's what I was wondering after watching a bit about it on Jay Leno's Garage. At one point they've got a spotter. My dog doesn't make a good spotter.

Reactions: AndyHernandez1

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Would it be hard for you to share your intended CO route? I'm not all that familiar with the TAT. I suspect you may be stopped by snow at some point.

There's a chance a buddy and I might be interested in hanging with you for a few days.

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

3 weeks until time to go. It can’t get here soon enough. I can’t wait to see more of Colorado and Utah this time around.
Have you been on the
3 weeks until time to go. It can’t get here soon enough. I can’t wait to see more of Colorado and Utah this time around.
Have you done black bear pass yet? If so was it in the vehicle in your profile. I’m wondering because I drive a tundra. Looking at the tight turns and wondering about the level of difficulty with the turning radius I have. Im assuming it’s doable in s full size truck

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Ok so after some checking out roads in Colorado I will probably head straight to Utah due to roads being closed in Colorado from snow. I will continue to keep a check on it and let anyone know who is interested in meeting up for some trail riding.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

knkunz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Kunz
Member #

Great pics!! I’m jealous, Truck is still in the shop so I’m grounded for another week or 2. Safe travels, look forward to seeing more