Trailtec 4x4 - Colorado Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Well my back went out and I didnt make it to the trails. I did manage to pull the compressor and a bunch of other gear from my JK and move it to the Colorado. Haven't driven the JK since I did the lift on the truck and I think it's days will be numbered after a few shows we have scheduled in the fall.

Did some planning for a sliding bed platform and a dual battery set up. Ordered some locking 4' drawer slides for the platform to ride on and have been trying to figure out how to scavenge the parts from my Genesis dual battery kit from the JK and make them work in the truck. Sometimes the planning takes longer than actually building the rig.
I know how you feel about the JK.. My JKU has been pretty much setting since getting inspected in march. I might have put 100 miles on it since then. Been driving the crap outta the new Taco.

Reactions: T4X Overland

T4X Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Allen, VA, USA
First Name
Herb
Last Name
Coulter
Member #

I know how you feel about the JK.. My JKU has been pretty much setting since getting inspected in march. I might have put 100 miles on it since then. Been driving the crap outta the new Taco.
The JKU is our rolling display for the shop but the truck is catching up quick. I do need to drive it for the advertising more than anything. I've always had a Jeep and a truck with the Jeeps slowly becoming more and more trail only. The JKU was supposed to be an all around daily/overland rig but I just like this truck too much. Cant wait to get it out for some trail time.

Reactions: JCWages and Hafaday

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

The JKU is our rolling display for the shop but the truck is catching up quick. I do need to drive it for the advertising more than anything. I've always had a Jeep and a truck with the Jeeps slowly becoming more and more trail only. The JKU was supposed to be an all around daily/overland rig but I just like this truck too much. Cant wait to get it out for some trail time.
Right on!

Reactions: T4X Overland

T4X Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Allen, VA, USA
First Name
Herb
Last Name
Coulter
Member #

Finally got to add my favorite mod. Dirt! Ha ha! Just a quick trip up in the GW National forest but it was nice to get it on the trail. And of course I was reminded that red is not good for hiding Appalachian pinstripes. Oh well.

One big thing I've hated since I got this is the tow mirrors and on the trail it makes the truck way wider than it needs to be. Problem is the PO added them and had the heating circuit completed with them. I want to go back to stock size but all the replacements I'm finding are non heated. Has anyone found a stock style heated mirror that fits a 2016? It's not a deal killer here in VA but it is nice and it's already wired so I'd hate to swap them out and not get heated.

20190831_122226.jpeg20190831_133218.jpeg20190831_143536.jpeg20190831_132140.jpeg

T4X Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Allen, VA, USA
First Name
Herb
Last Name
Coulter
Member #

Closed the shop for the holiday but the cabinet shop is at home so...the project continues. Pulled the rear seats and added a platform for the fridge with storage undernneath. Bedliner is drying now then I'll bolt it back in.
Just need to run power to the fridge and add some tie down points to it. Thinking maybe a MOLLE panel across the back too.20190902_161918.jpeg

Reactions: MazeVX and Hafaday

T4X Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Allen, VA, USA
First Name
Herb
Last Name
Coulter
Member #

Pulled the Genesis dual battery set up out of the JK and moved it to the Colorado. Part of it at least. Ill put the second Odessey in the trailer. I had thoughts of adding both batteries to the truck but the Jeep was fine with 2 and the trailer has a wet cell in it.

I pulled the spare and built a box to hold the battery then cut the wings off the Genesis plate and mounted it up where the tire lift used to be. I`m planning to add a compressor and some other power to the bed so since its so tight up front I thought that was a better location to pull power from. Terminal blocks are stainless and the solenoid is IP66 so it should be pretty safe there.

Attachments

Reactions: MazeVX and Hafaday

T4X Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Allen, VA, USA
First Name
Herb
Last Name
Coulter
Member #

Finished the rear seat delete plate for now and added the fridge tie down and ARB screw in plug. Still needs some tie down points and a MOLLE plate up the back but that's for another day.

Found that the truck's smart alternator is too smart for the older tech of the smart solenoid. The main battery doesn't get charged up enough on short runs to connect the two and charge the house battery. So I have a CTEK DC to DC charger/solar controller coming to just kill two two birds with one stone.
20190907_111915.jpeg20190907_111944.jpeg20190907_111953.jpeg

Reactions: Hafaday and JCWages