Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

This is the first I’ve heard of Canaan Loop. Do you know where I can get a gpx file for this?
I don't, but it's easy enough to find. It's on the outskirts of Blackwater State Park in Davis, WV. The forest road is groomed gravel, the section that can be a little more technical actually runs across land owned by a lumber company and is unmaintained.
There's some good hiking with awesome views in the area as well.

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
This is the first I’ve heard of Canaan Loop. Do you know where I can get a gpx file for this?
I don't, but it's easy enough to find. It's on the outskirts of Blackwater State Park in Davis, WV. The forest road is groomed gravel, the section that can be a little more technical actually runs across land owned by a lumber company and is unmaintained.
There's some good hiking with awesome views in the area as well.
Awesome! Thank you!!

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Once past the mud pit, I think there is one steep Rocky part on the road to the lake, I believe this is Dunkel Hollow and turns into Switzer Lake. Other than the steep area, I think lines can be picked that stock is doable for newer drivers.

There is an area where you can turn off onto Union Spring, and from what I've heard, this route is much more difficult.

I was in stock 4R as well, with bigger tires.
Interesting you should say that. Based on a YouTube video I saw of a a group of jeeps coming in from the north, I expected to have issues on stock tires “climbing” back north. However, I never encountered that area. I wonder if that is on one of those bypasses I went around.
Yeah, I think that is Dunkel hollow. I came from that direction at night once, stupid 4Runner brakes were letting go, so pucker moment for sure. Definitely encouraged me to get the Tundra brake upgrade.
Yeah, I recently went back. Realized I've done union springs and all the other trails up there in stock form.

The last time I went I had the tundra upgrade, definitely an improvement.

My squad runs this area a lot and we are looking at many trips during the summer.