William
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6MKX
Service Branch
Volunteer Fire
Picture is Somewhere South and West of the Sheldon National Wildlife refuge NV. We dropped in out of the east side of the Warner Mountains. After camping near Patterson camp ground. Maiden trailer voyage.

Moved RTT from top of LX to trailer. It was tippy with the 6” lift and leaned way over in corners. Several times pulled a wheel up and could never tell how far we could lean it without flopping it. With the trailer, Mostly mild back roads and did run the Strawberry trail out of Kyburz CA about a 4 on 10 scale. No issues hardly knew it was there. It was awesome!

Now for the rest of the story......

After a late start out of the Placerville area we stopped in Susanville for lunch. Someone left his credit card at the restaurant and had to go back. :expressionless:Fortunately only 10 min out of town. We finally reached camp just before dusk and began setting up camp looking forward to dinner, a beer and campfire but not necessarily in that order. We had a guest passenger on board and were unloading their gear when they asked have you seen my sleeping bag? To which I replayed “I packed everything you brought over” and as I said those words I had that sinking feeling.... their bag never made it out of their garage. Neither had ours. For some reason right where we were my wife got just enough cell service to see that Walmart in Susanville was open till 10 pm. It was 7:20 pm. 23 miles of forest dirt roads and windy 2 lane to hw 395. Then 80 miles from Likely to Susanville. Quick unhitch the trailer, climb in to the Temptress, strap in and go. Rolled out at 7:30 on the dime. Made the turn at Likely at 8:33. Great it’s dark 80 miles to go and lots of night critters I hope I don’t meet. You can push her to 75 or 80 on a freeway, but on a lonely two lane highway in the dark that’s silly. Even 65 was to fast, but Walmart closes at 10 and we don’t have sleeping bags. Just extra clothes some tarps and towels so we could survive the mid 20s temp coming that night if we had to, but Walmart was in my sights. I buzzed along as fast as I dared and finally made the turn to Susanville at 9:49. Oh no I forgot they were night paving the highway between me and Walmart. Tick tick tick now 9:53. Call Walmart explain situation to gal on phone. She says just a minute let me git my manager. I am thinking great, drive 103 miles of backroad and two lane HW and come up 7 min short. Looks like I am staying in a hotel while Wife and friend of Wife roughs it. Now 9:56 pm. Walmart manager gets on I am still sitting in traffic. I explained situation again 103 miles to get sleeping bag blah blah blah... she says no problem, get here as soon as you can, middle front door open, come and meet my assistant manager Robert and he will help you out. Traffic finally moves, pull into lot and snag a front row spot dash in at 9:59 Wait for Robert. 10:02 Robert arrives we grab a cart and dash around the store to sporting goods and grab 3 bags big warm 20 degree Colman bags some fuel for the jet boil, some d batteries and some red hots. Cash out. Back in the Temptress @10:16 and motor back arrive at camp 12:27. Girls still by the fire and pretty silly by now. Now go to bed toasty warm after what was supposed to be a leisurely drive to camp. Instead almost 600 miles in the day.

moral of the story? Double check your checklist....doh!

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Picture is Somewhere South and West of the Sheldon National Wildlife refuge NV. We dropped in out of the east side of the Warner Mountains. After camping near Patterson camp ground. Maiden trailer voyage.

Moved RTT from top of LX to trailer. It was tippy with the 6” lift and leaned way over in corners. Several times pulled a wheel up and could never tell how far we could lean it without flopping it. With the trailer, Mostly mild back roads and did run the Strawberry trail out of Kyburz CA about a 4 on 10 scale. No issues hardly knew it was there. It was awesome!

Now for the rest of the story......

After a late start out of the Placerville area we stopped in Susanville for lunch. Someone left his credit card at the restaurant and had to go back. :expressionless:Fortunately only 10 min out of town. We finally reached camp just before dusk and began setting up camp looking forward to dinner, a beer and campfire but not necessarily in that order. We had a guest passenger on board and were unloading their gear when they asked have you seen my sleeping bag? To which I replayed “I packed everything you brought over” and as I said those words I had that sinking feeling.... their bag never made it out of their garage. Neither had ours. For some reason right where we were my wife got just enough cell service to see that Walmart in Susanville was open till 10 pm. It was 7:20 pm. 23 miles of forest dirt roads and windy 2 lane to hw 395. Then 80 miles from Likely to Susanville. Quick unhitch the trailer, climb in to the Temptress, strap in and go. Rolled out at 7:30 on the dime. Made the turn at Likely at 8:33. Great it’s dark 80 miles to go and lots of night critters I hope I don’t meet. You can push her to 75 or 80 on a freeway, but on a lonely two lane highway in the dark that’s silly. Even 65 was to fast, but Walmart closes at 10 and we don’t have sleeping bags. Just extra clothes some tarps and towels so we could survive the mid 20s temp coming that night if we had to, but Walmart was in my sights. I buzzed along as fast as I dared and finally made the turn to Susanville at 9:49. Oh no I forgot they were night paving the highway between me and Walmart. Tick tick tick now 9:53. Call Walmart explain situation to gal on phone. She says just a minute let me git my manager. I am thinking great, drive 103 miles of backroad and two lane HW and come up 7 min short. Looks like I am staying in a hotel while Wife and friend of Wife roughs it. Now 9:56 pm. Walmart manager gets on I am still sitting in traffic. I explained situation again 103 miles to get sleeping bag blah blah blah... she says no problem, get here as soon as you can, middle front door open, come and meet my assistant manager Robert and he will help you out. Traffic finally moves, pull into lot and snag a front row spot dash in at 9:59 Wait for Robert. 10:02 Robert arrives we grab a cart and dash around the store to sporting goods and grab 3 bags big warm 20 degree Colman bags some fuel for the jet boil, some d batteries and some red hots. Cash out. Back in the Temptress @10:16 and motor back arrive at camp 12:27. Girls still by the fire and pretty silly by now. Now go to bed toasty warm after what was supposed to be a leisurely drive to camp. Instead almost 600 miles in the day.

moral of the story? Double check your checklist....doh!
This forum is not for horror stories...
I think I saw three sleeping bags on your Craig's list and was wondering why someone was selling 3 almost new bags. LOL

HINDSIGHT : You didn't say in your story that you left the ladies in camp until the end of the story.

When I read that was when your story became a horror story. What if an animal had jumped out in front of your rig and you had wrecked, possibly killed and couldn't get back to the girls. They could have died out there in the boon docks and no one would have known to go look for them ? We all make foolish mistakes and leave something at home occasionally.

Please don't ever make the mistake again of leaving people in a disbursed camp site while you go for something. Always stay together.
It turned out okay this time but it could have had a very scary ending that no one would have read about. Better luck next time
William ! :mask:

William C aka “The Claw”

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Fork, Idaho, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6MKX
Service Branch
Volunteer Fire
Lanlubber you are correct. I forget to say we were traveling with another couple in another rig. They went to bed early ltao at me. Even though Both ladies are very independent and self reliant I would never leave them without a way out. The ranger station where we camped is only about 1/2 mile up the road. Remote area in Cali? Yes very. Life is a series of calculated risk. We all balance that against the adventure. Thanks for caring.

cheers

the claw

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
This forum is not for horror stories...
I think I saw three sleeping bags on your Craig's list and was wondering why someone was selling 3 almost new bags. LOL

HINDSIGHT : You didn't say in your story that you left the ladies in camp until the end of the story.

When I read that was when your story became a horror story. What if an animal had jumped out in front of your rig and you had wrecked, possibly killed and couldn't get back to the girls. They could have died out there in the boon docks and no one would have known to go look for them ? We all make foolish mistakes and leave something at home occasionally.

Please don't ever make the mistake again of leaving people in a disbursed camp site while you go for something. Always stay together.
It turned out okay this time but it could have had a very scary ending that no one would have read about. Better luck next time
William ! :mask:
I think he left the women there so that he would have a trailer to come back to after running in to town. Crazy people out there wheeling nowadays will take everything that you own - cause they just don't care any more.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Lanlubber you are correct. I forget to say we were traveling with another couple in another rig. They went to bed early ltao at me. Even though Both ladies are very independent and self reliant I would never leave them without a way out. The ranger station where we camped is only about 1/2 mile up the road. Remote area in Cali? Yes very. Life is a series of calculated risk. We all balance that against the adventure. Thanks for caring.

cheers

the claw
Todd, thanks for clueing me in, I had the whole incident completely wrong in my mind. The story makes sense now, and yes I was concerned because I don't know you or what your experience has been with situations like that. I trust that your judgement was good and as it turns out your biggest danger was the possibility of hitting a deer in your hurried need to get to town before the store closed. Thank God everything worked out for you-all without an accident.

BTW, I lived in a community called Outingdale Ca, near Placerville in 1946 - 47. Everything was remote in those days with thick forest, hundreds of deer running in herds, lots of bear and cougar and Schools that had one teacher for 8 grades of students. I walked 3 miles through the mountains to go to school and carried a 12 ga shotgun for protection. Gun sat in the coat room all day loaded and ready for my trek back home after school. I have so many good memories of California and my experience living in the outback. I loved my childhood even though it would be considered tough by today's standards.

William C aka “The Claw”

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Fork, Idaho, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6MKX
Service Branch
Volunteer Fire
Outingdale is just over the hill from where we live currently. Still bear, lions, deer etc. still lots of remote canyons. There are folks growing excellent grapes and making great wine in the area now. In fact one of our friends had bears come in his vineyard and ate ALL his Termpernio grapes last year. That was a sad day. He uses electric fences which are working pretty well now. We are looking forward to a trip to NM in the next year or two. Idaho first.
Cheers

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Outingdale is just over the hill from where we live currently. Still bear, lions, deer etc. still lots of remote canyons. There are folks growing excellent grapes and making great wine in the area now. In fact one of our friends had bears come in his vineyard and ate ALL his Termpernio grapes last year. That was a sad day. He uses electric fences which are working pretty well now. We are looking forward to a trip to NM in the next year or two. Idaho first.
Cheers
Thanks for the update on the area. I remember the grape orchards being 20-30 miles away. I know the area was forested many years ago that probably allowed the vineyards to move in. Is there still a place called Youngs in that area. I went to a school that was called Mt Aucom or Awkum near a place called River Pines.
I really need to go back for one last time if I can work it into my planned attendance to the PNW Rally later this year in Wa state. I'm hoping to get there via a route that will take me through Arizona, Nevada, through lake Tahoe and down into your area, then up through Oakland and the coastal route to Seattle. Coming back I want to take a route that will take me eastward through the upper states before I drop back down through Colorado and NM and home.
Enjoyed the post, thank you.
Lanlubber Jim

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks for the update on the area. I remember the grape orchards being 20-30 miles away. I know the area was forested many years ago that probably allowed the vineyards to move in. Is there still a place called Youngs in that area. I went to a school that was called Mt Aucom or Awkum near a place called River Pines.
I really need to go back for one last time if I can work it into my planned attendance to the PNW Rally later this year in Wa state. I'm hoping to get there via a route that will take me through Arizona, Nevada, through lake Tahoe and down into your area, then up through Oakland and the coastal route to Seattle. Coming back I want to take a route that will take me eastward through the upper states before I drop back down through Colorado and NM and home.
Enjoyed the post, thank you.
Lanlubber Jim
I did BMX racing in River Pines around 1980.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Quick question: I see off road tires on these trailers. Is that so you can swap with the towing vehicle is you get a flat? Why not straight highway tires as the trailer does not need the tread for traction? Thanks.
My trailer isn't very pretty or fancy but it's worked just fine for me for 25 years or so and is still a work in progress.

I have the same wheels and tires on it as I do on my Willys. That way when I'm pulling my trailer I have 2 spares in the Willys and one on the trailer. As the tires wear out I put the new ones on the Willys and the older ones on the trailer.

edited to fix autocorrect "help"

Last edited: