trailers navigating technical terrain photo thread

• HTML tutorial

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
I'd like to see pics of your trailers navigating challenging terrain. i've noticed lots of "traditional" pics showing off but they're almost never towing.
if there's another thread like this, please link to it.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I never even think about a photo op when I'm wheeling. Way too much fun just driving. All my rig photos are parked in a secure spot since I only take pictures of it if I am already out taking pictures of something else. But maybe, knowing this thread exists, I'll consider stopping and taking that picture.

Reactions: Sparksalot

taliv

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tennessee
I never even think about a photo op when I'm wheeling. Way too much fun just driving. All my rig photos are parked in a secure spot since I only take pictures of it if I am already out taking pictures of something else. But maybe, knowing this thread exists, I'll consider stopping and taking that picture.
Same here. I never stop to take pics of my trailer. Since nobody else does it seems like hardly anyone actually takes theirs offroad. Which made me wonder if they’re really offroadable

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This thread made me realize, I have no pictures of my trailer in hard core areas. Any ones I've taken have been of camp. My M-100 has seen Dusy, Rubicon and all over my local mountains. It's very difficult dragging a trailer through some of these. Your happy just to not get stuck too bad. As it is, I'm the only one who takes pictures. I have whole albums of other people and almost none of me.

JohnKeller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Park City, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Keller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FIQ
  • Haha
Reactions: Graeman

Wendell-R

Rank 0

Contributor I

So Cal
Really a nice trailer mate. Quick question: I see off road tires on these trailers. Is that so you can swap with the towing vehicle is you get a flat? Why not straight highway tires as the trailer does not need the tread for traction? Thanks.
Yeah, the tires and wheels match the 4-Runner towing it. I do like the mud tires in any case to keep the trailer from sliding off an off camber shelf road, but I pay for it with low MPG - even without the trailer.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Really a nice trailer mate. Quick question: I see off road tires on these trailers. Is that so you can swap with the towing vehicle is you get a flat? Why not straight highway tires as the trailer does not need the tread for traction? Thanks.
Me thinks they need the same durability for the terrane they are pulled threw. Nothing to do with traction as I see it !

Reactions: JohnKeller

4S50

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Idaho, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Stef
Was the Dusy picture of the top of Thompson Hill?
I think that is Thompson Hill, it is the boulder fielf. Thompson is at the south end, right? That trip was a long time ago. The weather was hot so we took the top and doors off and put the windshield down. once up on the trail at the higher elevation we ran into a hellacious downpour and hastily threw the windshield back up and made a quick top with a handy blue tarp and bungee cords.It only lasted about an hour and we were back to topless in the sun.
And yes John Keller, I run the same size tires with matching wheels on my trailer so that I can share the spare And the longer tire footprint of the larger diameter rolls over obstacles easier. I also have an onboard air compressor and tire plug kit so have only needed the spare a couple of times for torn sidewalls.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
The area I live in is volcanic. The rocks are very sharp. That's my main reason for the heavier side wall off-road tire. The other reason is they look cool. My new trailer build has a different tire size than my tow rig but the same lug pattern. I could swap tires if I had to but the trailer has 31's and my Cruiser has 35's. My M-100 trailer matched my jeeps with 35's. That one went over some big obstacles and needed the axle clearance. When I tow that one with my Cruiser I cant swap spares and have to carry one for it.