Trailer tongue box electrical setup help.

• HTML tutorial

brian0128

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Burnie, Maryland
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ogle
Member #

My goal is to have 2 batteries (Battle Born 100aH LifePO4), shore power (NOCO GEN 2 20amp charger), Solar and 12V DC to DC charger (REDARC BCDC1225), inverter (Xantrex 2000) and a fuse box to have wiring run to various areas of the trailer. I've looked at multiple pictures of setups here on the forum and the cleanest looking setup is the perforated aluminum mounted to the back of the box like Turtleback does on their trailers. Does anyone have a similar setup? I'm guessing their are standoffs mounting the perforated aluminum to the box with through bolts and everything else is just bolted to the aluminum.
What thickness of perforated aluminum should I use?
What should I use as the standoffs?
How should I mount the batteries to the box?
Is there an issue with mounting the Inverter sideways (I don't have enough box height to mount it vertically.

Here are some photos I've been collecting from the forum for ideas.
07-Turtleback-Expedition-Power-Center.jpg43952114_1041689316005123_2815879704282660864_o.jpgIMG_1921.jpg

Attachments

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I would pull the manual off the net for Inverter to see about vertical mounting. A 2KW inverter is going to draw around 150A+ on a full load. The wire in the pix looks a little lite. You will probably need 2AWG or larger, bigger is better.You can find a wire ga/ amp chart on Blue Seas Systems web site. My 2K pure sine wave is wired 24”with 2/0, but I’m big on overkill. Be very careful and wear safety glasss’ when wiring the Inverter you are going to be dealing with current that can easily kill you. Keep the Inverter wire run as short a possible, they usually state under 2-3’. All wire and breaker specs will be in the manual. You can purchase pre-made cables at DonRowe.com. If you make the Inverter cables yourself finding a wire crimper to crimp the lugs is going to be an issue. If you live near a west marine they have a crimper on their customer work bench that they crimp sailboat rigging with that will work. I basically have the same set up in my van.
I see you are from Md. I used to keep my boat at Fells Point before moving toFl. Miss the crab cakes, they don’t have a clue down here! Lol Need any advice give me a shout.