Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

This is for any of y'all that use a trailer. I'm trying to figure out the best option that doesn't require a second mortgage lol! For anyone that pulls a trailer(not an rv trailer but a utility trailer) with them, how much difference does it make in you finding a spot and/or getting to where you want to be? Currently I have my Nissan Titan with my CVT Denali on top. The main reason I'm thinking of a trailer is because I need somewhere to carry my bikes, kayaks, etc and I'd like to have a second tent on there for my daughters when they are with us. My other thought was to do a van build but the more I look at this option I just don't see it being a better option. Being that my truck is already very long I just wondered if a trailer would hinder me. The other thing is, if I use the right trailer build I feel like I could possibly build in some things that would be beneficial. But I'd love to have anyone's opinion that currently uses or has extensively used a trailer for/while camping. Thanks!

Reactions: Shahn and Road

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Less than 19' is almost no problem anywhere. Less than 15' is no problem anywhere.

I tow utility trailers through the worst tight cities in the US, and they have to get within 100' of equipment indoors, so I'm always stuck in some BS alley or something. It' no problem.

25' TT, that's a problem for me.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I tow 16ft boat on a 17ft trailer, a 20' car hauler, 40ft hay trailer and a 50ft livestock trailer. If you don't go down trails you can take a trailer about anywhere if you do want to do trail unhook and lock the trailer and come back for it later.
Haul that trailer around and practice parking it backing it up etc and before you know it you will be used to it.

I taught my wife to back the boat trailer down the ramp and now she won't let me do it anymore

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Less than 19' is almost no problem anywhere. Less than 15' is no problem anywhere.

I tow utility trailers through the worst tight cities in the US, and they have to get within 100' of equipment indoors, so I'm always stuck in some BS alley or something. It' no problem.

25' TT, that's a problem for me.
Lol funny you mention the TT...I used to haul flat bed over the road. Ive been in some spots that even though I did it I still looked in amazement and scratched my head!! But with that being said, I feel like driving an 18 wheeler just is so different.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I tow 16ft boat on a 17ft trailer, a 20' car hauler, 40ft hay trailer and a 50ft livestock trailer. If you don't go down trails you can take a trailer about anywhere if you do want to do trail unhook and lock the trailer and come back for it later.
Haul that trailer around and practice parking it backing it up etc and before you know it you will be used to it.

I taught my wife to back the boat trailer down the ramp and now she won't let me do it anymore
Well I'm actually wanting to take a trailer off road lol. But yes I agree, you can go most anywhere normally.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

and this is my camper

since it is so short and manuverable it'll get places a full size pickup can't go without a trailer

DSC_0075.jpeg

Reactions: Shahn and Lil Bear

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This is for any of y'all that use a trailer. I'm trying to figure out the best option that doesn't require a second mortgage lol! For anyone that pulls a trailer(not an rv trailer but a utility trailer) with them, how much difference does it make in you finding a spot and/or getting to where you want to be? Currently I have my Nissan Titan with my CVT Denali on top. The main reason I'm thinking of a trailer is because I need somewhere to carry my bikes, kayaks, etc and I'd like to have a second tent on there for my daughters when they are with us. My other thought was to do a van build but the more I look at this option I just don't see it being a better option. Being that my truck is already very long I just wondered if a trailer would hinder me. The other thing is, if I use the right trailer build I feel like I could possibly build in some things that would be beneficial. But I'd love to have anyone's opinion that currently uses or has extensively used a trailer for/while camping. Thanks!
I have a long wheelbase van and trailer. Trailer is just over 14' long from hitch to outside of trailer's spare tire with bag; just over 15' with canoe on the cover.

I've hauled it all over North America, through all kinds of terrain and environments, back country and city, and have not found it to be a hindrance in getting a spot or in getting where I want to be. It'll go anywhere my van can go. Like @Boostpowered said, a little practice and before you know it you'll be backing it into places you don't think possible now.

Only times I find it cumbersome is when trying to find a good spot to park on busy streets downtown in a big city. I gave up one night in Nashville because it was CMA Awards night and downtown was jam-packed everywhere. Generally, though, if going to a museum or zoo, etc, they'll have pull-through spots reserved for people with trailers and campers. Same with truck stops along travel routes. When crashing at a hotel with limited spaces, I've backed the trailer into one spot, unhooked, and parked the van next to it.

One thing I learned when towing trailers is that when first learning to back up, steer with your hand at the bottom of your steering wheel. It's a bit more intuitive when first learning and you won't have as many pull up and try again attempts. Then it'll be second nature after awhile to have your hands anywhere on the wheel.

Another thing about small trailers is that when the distance from rear axle to trailer axle is same or close to the distance of the wheelbase of your tow vehicle, the better your trailer will track and corner and the less you will worry about it hopping a curb or running up against a tree or canyon sidewall. It'll go where you go in the same tracks.

Having a trailer makes a lot more possible, as far as I'm concerned. I go further and stay out longer.

offroad-vannxv2-900.jpg

Last edited:

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

My trailer has been no issues getting where we want to go. If you are going to be on rough trails, rear departure and ground clearance are definitely considerations. I did put a Max Coupler articulating hitch on mine. The one thing is securing everything inside, it has taken me a couple years of trial and error to not have a" yard sale" inside after some of our excursions. But it sure is nice have what you need when you get there.

Jeep & trailer (2).JPG

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a small camp trailer that we really enjoy using. its made by forest river and is mass produced, so there are a good bit of quality issues. after spending all that money and then having to go thru it and do a lot of repairs and mods, i really wished i had built my own.

@old_man has a great trailer build and he recently started a thread on here that might be helpful to you. if i had it to over again, i'd go his route

Reactions: Lil Bear

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
my question is a bit more complicated.

how much better is it having a small trailer with a (very small lay down) livable interior vs a RTT cargo one?

They are way more expensive but they have stuff like built in heaters that i like.

Is it worth it or will they eventually mildew/mold?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

how much better is it having a small trailer with a (very small lay down) livable interior vs a RTT cargo one?
depends on how much you like setting up and tearing down,,,, in the rain.
mold and mildew is more an issue with a tent. no matter what you have store it under a roof.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
my question is a bit more complicated.

They are way more expensive but they have stuff like built in heaters that i like.

Is it worth it or will they eventually mildew/mold?
the small camp trailer really excels when used as a base camp, where you can park it somewhere safe (state park, etc) and lock it and go exploring and then come back to "home" at the end of the day. i'd rather the camp trailer because i dont have to deploy a tent and the trailer is zero problem in a bad storm. i keep mine here at the house in the swamps of south louisiana and i dont have any mold or mildew issues with it at all...and this is definitely the place for mold.

the wife and i also camp in the back of our pickup in the camper shell, so we are fairly versatile and mainly use the camp trailer when staying in relatively the same area for longer periods of time. i can also load our kayak on it and free up the pick up for offroad exploring. i don't use the camp trailer as THE way to camp, but rather A way to camp. like everything else, they have their strengths and weaknesses

20190701_133652.jpg

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
For state park base camping, a 21' TT can't be beat.

beachdude93

Rank 0

Traveler I

PA, USA
First Name
jake
Last Name
zimmerman
the small camp trailer really excels when used as a base camp, where you can park it somewhere safe (state park, etc) and lock it and go exploring and then come back to "home" at the end of the day. i'd rather the camp trailer because i dont have to deploy a tent and the trailer is zero problem in a bad storm. i keep mine here at the house in the swamps of south louisiana and i dont have any mold or mildew issues with it at all...and this is definitely the place for mold.

the wife and i also camp in the back of our pickup in the camper shell, so we are fairly versatile and mainly use the camp trailer when staying in relatively the same area for longer periods of time. i can also load our kayak on it and free up the pick up for offroad exploring. i don't use the camp trailer as THE way to camp, but rather A way to camp. like everything else, they have their strengths and weaknesses

View attachment 193868
how much did that one cost you?

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I had a similar question lately: Overland Trailers - first-hand experience: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I ended up finding a great deal on a used teardrop, which I think is perfect for my use-case:
Combo3.jpg
Combo2.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to use it since I bought it because of work, but that should change soon. I did get a chance to kit it out with my camping gear including all the "kitchen" stuff too and test it out with the Jeep just around town and on the freeway. So far so good, but I can't really speak to how it'll be on a trail just yet. As you can see in the pics it has a lot of clearance with the 35" tires (I swapped the trailer's hubs/drums to the included 5x5 set and bought matching wheels/tires) and I have the Max Coupler. I don't expect it to be an issue for anywhere I intend to camp, and if I want to try some harder stuff I'll setup base-camp and take just the Jeep.

You can read more in my thread, but I chose this route over a RTT or sleeping in the Jeep for a few reasons:
  • Space - the WJ is just not that big. They're much smaller than a current Grand Cherokee, for example. For longer trips the WJ's cargo space becomes a limiting factor (I have a trip planned in late June that will be a week or so without being in a town where I can resupply)
  • Garage - a RTT would mean the WJ doesn't fit in my garage anymore
  • Space again - the size of the WJ means sleeping inside just isn't a good option (with the rear seats folded the length of the space for sleeping is less than my height, I could eliminate the rear seats all together and build a flip-forward platform, but it'd still be small/cramped and sleeping inside means all your stuff has to go outside)
  • Ability to have it prepped/ready to go at the drop of a hat - as I mentioned, work has kept me really busy lately so if I'm going to get any trips in, I need to be able to take advantage of extra time I might have without much pre-planning. With the trailer I can have everything I need already IN the trailer at all times, ready to go. I even keep some drinking water and dry goods so I don't have to shop if I really don't want to. Obviously if I want a nice steak dinner or something like that, I'll need to shop. But in a pinch I can have backpacking food, canned chili, and things like that already in the trailer so I can just hitch and go. Same for clothes (including cold/wet weather gear) and general supplies. Net-net, it just means I can camp more, even with a busy/ever-changing work schedule
  • Ease of setup, especially in bad weather - pretty simple one here, worst case I can just stop and jump in the trailer if it's dumping rain. No actual setup is required
  • Space, for the third time - with the trailer I can have some firewood already on board with me (some of the areas I camp are pretty popular so suitable firewood is often picked-clean by later in the season, I do NOT ever take down live trees or even dead trees that are providing a habitat for something else in the ecosystem) and room for lots of extra fuel (the WJ does ~10 with the trailer and about ~15 best-case freeway-only by itself)
-TJ

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Depends on where you are I have seen trailers get hung up and stuck. But largely on wet ground, muddy, or steep sharp mounds - hitch and trailer arm high centered. But largely if they are built for off road they tend to go ok.

Reactions: Lil Bear

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

As you can see in the pics it has a lot of clearance with the 35" tires (I swapped the trailer's hubs/drums to the included 5x5 set and bought matching wheels/tires) and I have the Max Coupler.
all I'd do is remove the rear stabilizers, they look ready to hook on anything

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

all I'd do is remove the rear stabilizers, they look ready to hook on anything
Yeah, that's definitely the plan. They are a simple pin away from being removed. For the street, or basic fireroad stuff I'll leave them there, but anything more technical I'll take them off and throw them in the toolbox or in the firewood bin.

-TJ