Trailer ideas that might help some people

• HTML tutorial

Tacoma_Tom

Rank 0

Traveler I

Ive Been looking into overland trailers but cant afford the price of most. So naturally i thought i can make one or modify something that would work and figured i would share my thoughts here if anyone else was in the same boat as me.

If anyone has ever seen the generator light towers that are used alot on the highways during night construction, these could be a good start. Most have some sort of suspension, open compartment in the middle where you would take the motor/generator parts out of. Probably big enough to store all your kitchen stuff, grill, foldable table, chairs, coolers ect... And are all steel (most of the time) so you can weld on brackets for a roof top tent, kayaks or bikes. Depending on the size i think its a promising starting point if you have the tools and are handy.

http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Light-Towers-Multiquip-Night-Hawk-LT12-Light-Tower-Arizona/1449285?h=5000,ct|1,c|1301,mode|2&rr=1&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Thats a smaller one but they can be had for a very reasonable price from that site. They also have tons of other trailers.

Reactions: John~SWNM

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I look at those every time I see one on the road and say to my wife ... "you know, I could ...". She never gets it. I think those would be a great start. Well built and often being government probably over built. I had no idea they could be had for that kind of price.

Mine started life as a mobile welding trailer. I didn't get the welder but the guy that welded the trailer frame together did a great job. Here's what I started with and although not finished yet generally where it stands now.

Reactions: Road

Tacoma_Tom

Rank 0

Traveler I

I look at those every time I see one on the road and say to my wife ... "you know, I could ...". She never gets it. I think those would be a great start. Well built and often being government probably over built. I had no idea they could be had for that kind of price.

Mine started life as a mobile welding trailer. I didn't get the welder but the guy that welded the trailer frame together did a great job. Here's what I started with and although not finished yet generally where it stands now.

The problem with that site is shipping, if youre to far away to pick it up, is a ton of money to get it shipped. But i used to say the same thing and get the "youre out of your mind" response. And very nice build you have their, extra points for the ammo can haha

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Thanks guys. I'm making progress. The top is now on and I'm able to lift it with actuators. Lots to do yet though ... including more ammo cans!

Reactions: Tacoma_Tom

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

why don't you get ahold of Scott Chaney @ https://compactcampingconcepts.com/ & https://www.dinoot.com/ Scott owns both of these companies.

Price wasn't a issue for me building my overland trailer. I liked the ideal of building mine the way "I" wanted it. Scott also sell the demo's he builds too. I new folks who built their Dinoot's around 2,100 using Northern Tool frames w\ upgraded suspension which Scott sells. Mine I have over 5,600. into it. Your build can be inexpensive as you want or costly as you want.
Here's my trailer I built, M Series.: M416. You can go the rout of a Explore Box trailer or M Series (after M416) & the J Series (Jeep Tub) style. Scott has all 3.

Scott sell the frames or you can use a Harbor Freight trailer frame or Northern Tool trailer frame.
Anchor Mountain Overland sells tubs also https://anchormtnoverland.com/collections/overland-trailers/products/overland-utility-trailer-diy-body

037.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacoma_Tom

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I DIY'd mine as well. Going into our second year using it.

Started off with this:

And ended up with this:

The box is built out of wood, since that's what I know how to work with. I can carry up to 21 gallons of water, our fridge, has a kitchen box, and can fit 6 68qt plano totes in it.

Reactions: PCO6

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
The old construction trailers were sure made of substantial materials. I used an old welder trailer from the 60's to build my camp trailer.

Before-
1682437651399.png

After-
1682437706441.png

Check out the build here: Project 'Yeller' Trailer Build
Some of the basic build includes: 3500lb Dexter brake axle, 30" tires, 11' 1/4" wall hitch backbone from front to back, some lighting and 15 gallons of water storage/filtration.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Here's how the trailer I posted above (#2) turned out. Due to another trailer acquisition, a tear drop, I scrapped the box above and built a different one. It was 4' x 6' x 18" and is now 4' x 6' x 16". It's now suitable for hauling an ATV, with the RTT removed of course (a 20 minute job). It now also has a 1 ton winch hidden on the tongue for hauling items up into the box. The original build and a bit of the rebuild are shown in my signature below.

thumbnail (7).jpgthumbnail.jpg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

The old construction trailers were sure made of substantial materials. I used an old welder trailer from the 60's to build my camp trailer.

Before-
View attachment 256185

After-
View attachment 256186

Check out the build here: Project 'Yeller' Trailer Build
Some of the basic build includes: 3500lb Dexter brake axle, 30" tires, 11' 1/4" wall hitch backbone from front to back, some lighting and 15 gallons of water storage/filtration.
Love that Comanche!

I usually camp with my XJ or LJ but did get out once last year with my MJ too. I drove my XJ and my wife drove the MJ. I've done a bit of work to it (basically a 2" lift, front and rear hitches, etc.) and hope to use it a few times this summer. Unfortunately it's still 2WD so its use will be limited. I'll also be putting Jeep Turbine wheels on the trailer above to match my XJ & MJ.

332329042_691530759419221_4642999840103240428_n.jpg