Trailer build axle issue

• HTML tutorial

Scarecrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

So I’m building an off road trailer i did the axle flip and moved the spring perch’s and it looks like the passenger side wheel is slightly turned out and the drivers side is turned in. I loosened it back up to see if there might be a little play in it or I could move it and I couldn’t. I’m kinda stumped

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
Most trailer axles have a slight bend to them to help accommodate the load. You didn't get the axle flipped exactly 180 degrees so that bend is causing your off-axis turn-in/-out. Instead of flipping the axle, get a relatively cheap over-under swap kit. This may not be the exact kit you need, but it will get your search started.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

when you install the spring seats\perches your axle most likely was not perfectly vertical during the install, the slightest tilt forward or backward of the axle will change the geometry of the wheel alignment whether it kicks the wheel inward on one side vs kicking the wheel outward on other side. Turning the axle left to right or 180 degrees will not cure the problem you have. Most trailer axles are cambered\arched for a reason, it compensates the load so the tires are planted evenly on the road & wears evenly when the load is applied. Dexter Flip Kit or over under kit will solve the problem. It does away with miscalculating the seat's in the wrong position.

nhfire

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

New Hampshire
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Currier
Member #

Great information, I used ordered a new Dexter Axle with the same bold pattern as my Jeep, gives me more options with a spare, when ordering I requested the spring over option and it worked great.

DifferentStrokes

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler III

Pine Ridge, SC, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Linden
Member #

the real problem is your spring mount is too far forward or your leaf is too long. You can help with a longer shackle but I would move the mount.
Old_man is right here. With the swing shackle bottomed out against the frame the leaf spring can not work like it should.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Would it hurt to make it a little longer and move it back
Length is not the issue, location is.
A short shackle is more stable.
Sometimes a shackle to short will limit the range of motion, but 1/2" longer might be all it needs.