DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
My new security "tool" that I just finished. A 1913 Remington 11 semi auto 12 gauge. It started out as a rusty beat up $75 gun show purchase with a 28" barrel that was bent on the end, broken stock and forearm. Now it cycles 2 3/4" shells nicely.

View attachment 166736
Nice

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My new security "tool" that I just finished. A 1913 Remington 11 semi auto 12 gauge. It started out as a rusty beat up $75 gun show purchase with a 28" barrel that was bent on the end, broken stock and forearm. Now it cycles 2 3/4" shells nicely.

View attachment 166736
Interesting piece. Nice work.

As shotguns go, I'm partial to the Mossberg 500a pump with nice wood stock and forearm, but I'm sure I could find space in the cabinet for that Remington of yours

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Interesting piece. Nice work.

As shotguns go, I'm partial to the Mossberg 500a pump with nice wood stock and forearm, but I'm sure I could find space in the cabinet for that Remington of yours
Having both, I was very disappointed in the 2019 Mossberg 500 compared to the 2019 Remington 870. The 500 fit and finish of parts felt cheap, and very under built compared to the 870. (Both are wood stocks and forearms in 12 gauge)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Having both, I was very disappointed in the 2019 Mossberg 500 compared to the 2019 Remington 870. The 500 fit and finish of parts felt cheap, and very under built compared to the 870. (Both are wood stocks and forearms in 12 gauge)
Are the prices comparable. I've never understood why I like one brand over another but I'm really picky about my guns. I've always liked almost anything made by browning though I have none in my collection since 1959.

Reactions: Ubiety

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Are the prices comparable. I've never understood why I like one brand over another but I'm really picky about my guns. I've always liked almost anything made by browning though I have none in my collection since 1959.
Yes they were both about the same price... the 870 was a little more because I got both the rifled slug barrel and the smooth bore, but if I would have just got the smooth bore they would have been comparable in price.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yes they were both about the same price... the 870 was a little more because I got both the rifled slug barrel and the smooth bore, but if I would have just got the smooth bore they would have been comparable in price.
Seems like every time I get a shotgun I like I end up giving it to a grandson. I've managed to hold on to one old Mossberg single shot bolt action I bought for $15 in a pawn shop in 1973. I'm pretty sure it is a 1950's model 20 ga.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Mossburg has been naught and sold quite a few times since then, and their quality goes down with every new purchase. Remington when’s through the same problem a few years ago, but started stepping up their game again in 2015/2016.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

My Mossberg is a pre 1968 (no serial number). I'm very happy with the quality. My best buddy's got a newer Remmington 870 and it is also nice.

Cant speak much to the newer Mossbergs, but the Maverick line is theirs. Same stuff, just made in Texas instead of Connecticut.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Seems like every time I get a shotgun I like I end up giving it to a grandson. I've managed to hold on to one old Mossberg single shot bolt action I bought for $15 in a pawn shop in 1973. I'm pretty sure it is a 1950's model 20 ga.
Just picked up a 1957 or 58 Mossberg 342 .22 cal with pan sights. It's a rather nice piece, and was not expensive. I think most people figure Mossberg for shotguns or old .22 pistols but some of the rest of their stuff, while perhaps nothing to write home about, is very practical and servicable.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Mossburg has been naught and sold quite a few times since then, and their quality goes down with every new purchase. Remington when’s through the same problem a few years ago, but started stepping up their game again in 2015/2016.
You might be mistaken on some details here. Mossberg is still run by the Mossberg family.

Remmington has been bought and sold numerous times in its history. Thier Nylon 66 .22 caliber (one of which I happily own and shot a lot in my younger days) was actually a joint venture with DuPont, who owned Remmington at the time of its design and its release in 1959. They made it until 1989 and did not renew because the tooling had deteriorated and DuPont no longer owned them so they couldn't get retooling for cheap.

Remmington has been bought and sold numerous times and was actually recently in chapter 11. It was the Navajo tribe that bought and held them for a bit until they recovered. Now they are going into bankruptcy again, unfortunately

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You might be mistaken on some details here. Mossberg is still run by the Mossberg family.

Remmington has been bought and sold numerous times in its history. Thier Nylon 66 .22 caliber (one of which I happily own and shot a lot in my younger days) was actually a joint venture with DuPont, who owned Remmington at the time of its design and its release in 1959. They made it until 1989 and did not renew because the tooling had deteriorated and DuPont no longer owned them so they couldn't get retooling for cheap.

Remmington has been bought and sold numerous times and was actually recently in chapter 11. It was the Navajo tribe that bought and held them for a bit until they recovered. Now they are going into bankruptcy again, unfortunately
I never said Remington wasn’t bought and sold, but only once did their quality suffer... unfortunately quality suffered for nearly 2 decades.
However Mossburg’s quality has suffered since the early 1980’s in all of their guns... I heard quality was on the rise when I purchased my 500... it’s theone of 2 guns I wish I would have never purchased and the only firearm I have ever given away (even though it’s still in the family).
And yes it seams my information was skewed on the history of Mossburg.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I never said Remington wasn’t bought and sold, but only once did their quality suffer... unfortunately quality suffered for nearly 2 decades.
However Mossburg’s quality has suffered since the early 1980’s in all of their guns... I heard quality was on the rise when I purchased my 500... it’s theone of 2 guns I wish I would have never purchased and the only firearm I have ever given away (even though it’s still in the family).
And yes it seams my information was skewed on the history of Mossburg.
I cant speak to Mossberg's quality beyond what I've owned, and those have been 59's and 60's era stuff. My buddy has a Maverick and he likes it. Seems Ok, though I've never shot it or field stripped it.

If the quality has been that bad since the 80's, I'm surprised they are still in business. To have simply given one away, that must have been pretty bad.

Mine has served me well. Last year I got a nice pheasant with it. It is a tank.

Reactions: Shokgoblr

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I agree with Thundahbeagle. My '89 500c (20g) is built like a TANK. tight, solid walnut stock, My brother picked up a 2003 12g and it felt cheap. Ugly Birch wood, and if you shake it, it made all kinds of noise in the tube, and in the reciever. Nothing was made tight. Trying to sit for turkeys and his gun makes more noise than his 12year old son.
On another note--
I have a Mossberg International SA20 which is a whole different beast. It is basically a copy of the Weatherby SA-08, and made by Armsan of Istanbul....who makes a lot of euro weapons. It is actually a really nice gun. Cycles 3" mags like its nobodies business.

Reactions: M Rose

Robert Dooley

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Warrenton, Virginia
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Dooley
Member #

If staying overnight I will keep a fixed-blade survival knife, bear spray, and a .45 ACP within reach of my bedroll. If I'm just out for a day hike I only take a pocket knife. As you can tell, I'm not fond of the idea of someone rolling up on me foggy-eyed in the middle of the night with camp fully set and no where to fall back to.

With that said, I've never had a problem with critter or human in my adventures, knock on wood. Some of my luck may have to do with a bit of a spidey sense I have about folks with ill intent, though. I know what trouble looks like because I saw a lot of trouble in my mispent youth. I would advise following your instincts if you run into someone who seems shady on the trail and give the friendly impression that you are not to be trifled with as you move on your way.

Stay safe, be well, and know peace.

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Retired LEO here. Having seen the less-than-savory side of humanity FAR too many times, I carry daily. My camp load out in this arena is a Sig 320 X-Carry with hi-capacity magazine and Streamlight TLR. As someone stated earlier- I, too, normally carry concealed, but at camp- I open carry. More than a few times, when encountering sketchy people, a quick look at my firearm and my "Take no bull$hit" stare has made them re-think their nefarious intentions and turn the other way. Sincerely, its happened enough to where I genuinely wonder how often people are robbed while out enjoying nature. I mean, if I'm experiencing this...as a former tac guy...how many hikers/campers are seeing this stuff play out? We live in an absurd point in human history.

DRTMaverick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Someone tried to cut through the cable that locks my jerrycans down recently. I noticed the cable was mangled but they hadn't gotten through. I'm replacing it with a heavier cable but I'm wondering if I should opt for trying to get something welded up that would be a solid chunk of metal to secure it down somehow with. Not sure how I'll do it.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Someone tried to cut through the cable that locks my jerrycans down recently. I noticed the cable was mangled but they hadn't gotten through. I'm replacing it with a heavier cable but I'm wondering if I should opt for trying to get something welded up that would be a solid chunk of metal to secure it down somehow with. Not sure how I'll do it.
Chain? This past spring I tried to unlock my kayaks after a long winter's slumber and the lock was solid. I tried to cut the chain and it was almighty hassle and almost couldn't do it even with a big red bolt cutter. Maybe a good strong chain would do it?