Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Ah... The RB 67 by chance? A formidable camera. My main, go-to studio & location camera. I used a dolly (stand) with it. And it was smart of those punks to get away. Gettin' smacked with that would hurt a hell of a lot!

Reactions: Baipin

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Ah... The RB 67 by chance? A formidable camera. My main, go-to studio & location camera. I used a dolly (stand) with it. And it was smart of those punks to get away. Gettin' smacked with that would hurt a hell of a lot!
That's the one! First camera I ever bought. I decided shortly thereafter I didn't like studio photography... and that's not the most portable camera. Bought and sold my way through a few and somehow went full circle... Nowadays everything is shot on a Linhof V, a Rollei, or a small Sony digital. Crazy story with how I got the Rollei: A drunk guy from Wisconsin found me on Reddit, and mailed me his dead dad's cameras.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

That's the one! First camera I ever bought. I decided shortly thereafter I didn't like studio photography... and that's not the most portable camera. Bought and sold my way through a few and somehow went full circle... Nowadays everything is shot on a Linhof V, a Rollei, or a small Sony digital. Crazy story with how I got the Rollei: A drunk guy from Wisconsin found me on Reddit, and mailed me his dead dad's cameras.
Beautiful! Now ya got a bunch o' haunted cameras!!... I loved my RB. Shot with it waaaay more than my Nikon F3 or my 4x5s. That big 6x7 neg/trans is just right. I haven't tripped the shutter of any of my cameras in about 15 years now. I've been pointing my iPhone 11 at stuff & puttin' my finger on a dot... BFD. It just aint the same. But I'm trying to force myself to not mind digital <gag>

Reactions: Baipin

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok fellas, as I can see by page 12, things have moved on, good, but a reminder please for us all....... Leave politics and religion out of the discussions please, as someone just posted not to far back, people get passionate about their beliefs and positions and then it gets ugly around here.

The thread is a good discussion, just avoid them areas please.

Thank you all for understanding my post and taking it for what it is,

Jim
By the way, carry or not, everyone should always respect guns and act as if they are loaded at all times......

Outbound

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alberta
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
H
This has been a really interesting thread to lurk. Heated at times, but always civil. I appreciate that.

I'm not a liberal, nor am I conservative, but I am a Canadian... Not that that's a political identity, :laughing: but it does mean I have quite a few more gun restrictions compared to my counterparts south of the border. (I guess I'd be somewhere on the left, but that's besides the point).

I'm interested to know how you fellow Canadians handle the gun situation when out overlanding? Out hiking? As I understand things, it's pretty difficult for us to get a handgun - and even if we do, the restrictions for transporting it are extremely tight? I've got a .22 and a 12 ga. Neither I'd want to walk around with for any considerable amount of time, let alone, have it take of space in the already small interior of a Subaru. I've thought about a collapsible rifle like the Chiappa X-caliber, M6, or Little badger which I could backpack with when out of the rig. Thoughts?

Truthfully, I've just never found a need to carry, yet. The only times I've been posed with threats of violence are when I've been in the city. The first time, I was walking with my friend down one of the main roads, broad daylight, after art classes. Two dudes a little younger than us started yelling racial epithets at us both (I'm as white as a sheet of paper, my friend is about as black as they come... so take that as you will). Things got heated when one brandished a knife. I got ready to smack him with my Mamiya camera (huge, 10 lb. chunk of steel and magnesium alloy) and they both promptly walked away.
I'm Canadian too. Short barrelled shotguns are my bush guns of choice. As I mentioned above, a Maverick 88 is my go to gun. It has a 18.5" barrel and the receiver is aluminum. It's pretty light. I have no issue carrying it while hiking and exploring. In fact, it feels weird to me to be walking around the woods without a gun in my hand.

I would like to get a Mossberg 590A1 with a 14" barrel and ghost ring sights. As long as a firearm is 26" overall length, it's good to go for bush carry. There are a few shotguns on the market in Canada that are non-restricted and have barrels as short as 8.5".

A Chiappa Little Badger or a Ruger 10/22 take down would be a good little plinking/small game survival rifle to stick in your vehicle. Not much good for defensive purposes though. In your case, I'd track down a Remington 870 or Dominion Arms Grizzly (870 knock off) with a 12.5" barrel. Compact enough you can store it easily in the vehicle, but very pointable and plenty of firepower.

As for circumstances requiring firearms, I've had more with animals than humans. I've had one with humans and it was most likely the sight of my shotgun leaning against the table that caused them to move on. I'm a firm believer in "better to have and not need, than need and not have". I carry a fire extinguisher in my truck. I also carry a gun in the backcountry.

DadJokes

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

KY
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Kil
Service Branch
US Air Force
Nope, it took the US army, wich is something different. And it took tanks, and navies and above else a lot of Air Power..

So lets not put and equal sign between US Army and some guys in truck with some revolvers.....
I will put an equal sign. Back then I guarantee you most enlisted were already familiar with firearms, if not proficient. Also, we kicked ass because we were not pacifists but didn’t enjoy it. We wanted it done ASAP and had the will to see it through on a military and civilian level back home. A different philosophy saved Europe. Every society there was failing to push back. If it were not for the English Channel, England might be speaking German now. Fact

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I'm not concerned about people attacking, it's feral pigs and javelina. I know two people that had to be taken to the ER, I was charged when I was little and climbed a fence to get away, my mom's been chased twice in the last few years, my dad and I beat back a pack of javelina at lake corpus Christi state park with a shovel and fishing rid holder when they attacked the tied up dogs.
So I don't like pigs. Never seen a bear, cats usually run, feral dogs can be a problem but usually they'll run. If I see them chasing cattle, they don't run far.
At the ranches out side of hunting season, I'll hike around with my single shot 12 ga with buck in the barrel, 2 slugs and 2 buck on the sling. In places I can't bring the 12, I've got a 9mm cc license.

On trips, depends on packing. My 12 breaks down into a 20" bag intended for paintball guns with everything I need but the 9 is just so dang convenient.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I'm Canadian too. Short barrelled shotguns are my bush guns of choice. As I mentioned above, a Maverick 88 is my go to gun. It has a 18.5" barrel and the receiver is aluminum. It's pretty light. I have no issue carrying it while hiking and exploring. In fact, it feels weird to me to be walking around the woods without a gun in my hand.

I would like to get a Mossberg 590A1 with a 14" barrel and ghost ring sights. As long as a firearm is 26" overall length, it's good to go for bush carry. There are a few shotguns on the market in Canada that are non-restricted and have barrels as short as 8.5".

A Chiappa Little Badger or a Ruger 10/22 take down would be a good little plinking/small game survival rifle to stick in your vehicle. Not much good for defensive purposes though. In your case, I'd track down a Remington 870 or Dominion Arms Grizzly (870 knock off) with a 12.5" barrel. Compact enough you can store it easily in the vehicle, but very pointable and plenty of firepower.

As for circumstances requiring firearms, I've had more with animals than humans. I've had one with humans and it was most likely the sight of my shotgun leaning against the table that caused them to move on. I'm a firm believer in "better to have and not need, than need and not have". I carry a fire extinguisher in my truck. I also carry a gun in the backcountry.
I was looking into the Chiappa folding shotguns a bit too and I didnt much like them. I shouldered a few and they didnt feel good and many reviews out there are not possitive. One shotgun that folds down that is really interesting to me is the new Midland Backpack shotguns. They make them in 410, 20, and 12. They are a simple shingle shot that very nearly folds in half. Also having looked at them in person they seem to be of good build quality and shoulder nicely for me. The best part is around here they sell for $139US. Might be worth a look.

TRUBRIT

Rank 0

Contributor I

Boone, NC, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Bubb
The way I look at it is that you can plan on a good camp spot and move to another spot if some sketchy folks camp nearby. Driving those long and lonely roads out West, my fear has always been a breakdown. You are now a Victim of opportunity for passing scumbags. Cell service might not be available so you are relying on a passing motorist or Cop for assistance. I have been shooting a long time. I have competed in the past, it is a fun hobby. I carry a modified Glock 19 for CC. Just built an AR Pistol in 300 Blk as my camping companion. A 'force multiplier' so to speak. It has a folding stock and fits into a small backpack. The AR Pistol is covered by my CCP so no issues crossing State lines. It is only my Wife and I when we travel so we are our own Security. I shoot and I train to shoot on a regular basis. You plan your trips in detail, do the same for your Security. It is not enough to carry a firearm, you have to practice with them and have a 'what if' Plan. Stay safe.

QDman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alpine, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
GIBSON
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB6JJR
I’m with @472HemiGTX , Lock everything, and carry what you train with. Most people on the trail are there to enjoy it like us.

I carry a small arsenal with me because my family likes to shoot.

One trip I had a spooky experience...
Well, that's just terrifying. Sometimes I consider going out on my own for an overnighter, but this kind of thing makes me think twice. Thanks for sharing.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Well, that's just terrifying. Sometimes I consider going out on my own for an overnighter, but this kind of thing makes me think twice. Thanks for sharing.
You're in Alpine. You're never too far away from a bunch of guns there lol.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

I travel the North American continent widely and regularly, going backcountry for weeks and months at a time and don't carry any weapons that need ammunition. My knife collection, though, is something else.

Too many state and national borders to cross, too many border checkpoints, and too many places that don't allow that kind of weapon. A lot of this is habit from decades of traveling when national parks did not allow guns, rifles, or shotguns.

In my experience--somewhere over 600 nights out in the last two years and many more in the decades previous--weapons are needed for security far more in urban areas than on the trail.

I agree but I am still going to carry. It only takes one time to be dead and I seem to have a bunch of one times in my life.

Reactions: KA7USA

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I bought a Maverick back in '90, cut the barrel back a hair and have it strictly as home defense. Haven't shot a whole lot thru it, but it shoots well and is pretty well made. Of course that was 30 yrs ago and I can only assume they are still built to the same specs. It doesn't feel as well made and as robust as my 870, but good enough for what I need it for. Its my go-to for shooting moccasins around the house.
View attachment 135616
Nice, I used one like it for many years with the stock barrel length. It was a great dove and quail gun, never jambed or misfired. Mine was a 16 ga.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The shooting culture in Cali was great when I was stationed there. I shot competition a lot at a range in Alpine (Lemon Grove Rod and Gun Club) and did a ton of shooting in the National Forrest and BLM areas out in the desert east of Alpine. I had far more shooting freedom there as far as where I could shoot than I've ever had in Texas. Our gun laws are better but our public access land is crap.

Reactions: Brewbud

seansmd

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

The shooting culture in Cali was great when I was stationed there. I shot competition a lot at a range in Alpine (Lemon Grove Rod and Gun Club) and did a ton of shooting in the National Forrest and BLM areas out in the desert east of Alpine. I had far more shooting freedom there as far as where I could shoot than I've ever had in Texas. Our gun laws are better but our public access land is crap.
That is only because it is BLM land, if it was in Cali hands it would be locked down.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Your just in the wrong part of Texas . I have never not found areas I couldnt shoot anywhere in Central Texas westward. I've never lived in East Texas , but I can tell you I have never met a rancher who wouldn't let you shoot on his property depending on where his cows are. Texas has many public shooting ranges as well. Some of the best shooting experiences have been along the Rio Grande in the many corn and maze fields and anywhere in the Big Bend area. I have never had a farmer complain about my being on his land but if I can find the land owner I will ask his permission first. The usual time to hunt bird is after the harvest so you don't damage any crops by tramping through them to hunt birds. The ranchers love to have you come and shoot ground hogs that damage their fields with holes that cripple their animals. Some farmers will pay you to come shoot and get rid of Feral pigs that are taking over the state. Damn good eating too !

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
In 40 years, just two instances isn’t bad... just be aware of your surroundings and ready for anything... give others the benefit of the doubt, but don’t let them into your standoff zone.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Your just in the wrong part of Texas . I have never not found areas I couldnt shoot anywhere in Central Texas westward. I've never lived in East Texas , but I can tell you I have never met a rancher who wouldn't let you shoot on his property depending on where his cows are. Texas has many public shooting ranges as well. Some of the best shooting experiences have been along the Rio Grande in the many corn and maze fields and anywhere in the Big Bend area. I have never had a farmer complain about my being on his land but if I can find the land owner I will ask his permission first. The usual time to hunt bird is after the harvest so you don't damage any crops by tramping through them to hunt birds. The ranchers love to have you come and shoot ground hogs that damage their fields with holes that cripple their animals. Some farmers will pay you to come shoot and get rid of Feral pigs that are taking over the state. Damn good eating too !
I lived about 2 hours west of Fort Worth up till I was about 18 then again for a few years a few years when I was stationed in Fort Worth, then moved to East Texas after I got out of the military. Which Hunt County is barely considered East Texas. Any rancher/farmer letting people shoot on their property is a huge liability risk for them. If they're willing to take it good on them. I got lucky growing up and had 10 acres to shoot on so it was never an issue.

So if you can't find the land owner you just shoot on someone else's property anyway? Seems dangerous along with a good way to get a Class C misdemeanor trespass charge at the very least.

That is only because it is BLM land, if it was in Cali hands it would be locked down.
Absolutely, but since the BLM manages 15.5 million acres of land in California (15 percent of the state), and National Forrests cover about 21 million acres (20 percent), that's largely a non issue. Between those two California, and many places "out west", blow Texas off the map for #1 public land accessible for the type of travel and recreation many on this board enjoy doing and shooting since we're talking specifically about that in this thread. You have far more opportunity for non "square range" type shooting than anywhere in Texas.