Trail Blockages

• HTML tutorial

Clear a downed tree or leave it to the professionals?

• Total voters

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Here is a proposed situation:

You are driving down a trail and maybe it's a favorite trail that you frequent all the time, or a new trail you have never been on before. You notice a downed tree that is completely blocking passage, and there is no alternative way around or over the tree.

1. Do you turn around, head back and do nothing?
  2. If you have the necessary tools to clear the downed tree from the trail, do you attempt to do so?
  3. If you choose not to take any action to clear the tree, do you at a minimum mark on your map where the downed tree is to inform the proper authorities? ( i.e. Forest Ranger)

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

In the Spring, we carry a well used chain saw, ratchet straps, trucker straps, pulaski, heavy-duty gloves... I have cleared lots of downed trees, trying to determine if I can get in to streams, prior to snow-melt.

If you don't have the tools, or experience - simply DON"T! We had a friend go out "cutting firewood" - he split his leg open, with ZERO help, he tried to use his belt to stop the bleed, BUT he bled to death, in less than 10 minutes. It's very hard for me to chat with his Widow. I have no words, that I can use to comfort her, and his children! He loved his family... Had I been with him, I could - slow down the bleeding, properly stop the shock, show down his breathing and determine if I need to put a tourniquet on. Had I been with him, he might still be alive... This hurts the soul, I am a boy scout, an EMT, a Wilderness Rescue volunteer. This event has changed my behavior - I no longer Fly-fish in the wilderness, without a friend or the Mrs. - Period, I can't replace me. I never, ever, thought that I could accidentally, kill myself. The lose of a friend, has changed my perspective. Humbled - DG

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

If I have the tools, I am clearing the obstacle. Might even take some firewood with me.
@vegasjeepguy

True that, we have cleared a couple trails ourselves.
Just remember and this is from the best of my knowledge that I can recall is that most places are okay if you take the firewood.
However depending on where you are, it is illegal to try and sell it for monetary value.
Also just because of how "protected" and "regulated" National Parks are I would leave it lol.
I have been told by a couple National Park Rangers that if you have to think about it possibly being the wrong thing to do, its probably not allowed, and just be safe, don't attempt it lol.

Reactions: sabjku

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

In the Spring, we carry a well used chain saw, ratchet straps, trucker straps, pulaski, heavy-duty gloves... I have cleared lots of downed trees, trying to determine if I can get in to streams, prior to snow-melt.

If you don't have the tools, or experience - simply DON"T! We had a friend go out "cutting firewood" - he split his leg open, with ZERO help, he tried to use his belt to stop the bleed, BUT he bled to death, in less than 10 minutes. It's very hard for me to chat with his Widow. I have no words, that I can use to comfort her, and his children! He loved his family... Had I been with him, I could - slow down the bleeding, properly stop the shock, show down his breathing and determine if I need to put a tourniquet on. Had I been with him, he might still be alive... This hurts the soul, I am a boy scout, an EMT, a Wilderness Rescue volunteer. This event has changed my behavior - I no longer Fly-fish in the wilderness, without a friend or the Mrs. - Period, I can't replace me. I never, ever, thought that I could accidentally, kill myself. The lose of a friend, has changed my perspective. Humbled - DG
@David C Gibbs

Wow.... Thank you for sharing the story of your friend, and yes situations like theses are unfortunate.
The things happen and as sad as they may be they happen. But like you said, you have to weigh the risk against the outcome. Also as you have said, never go it alone if that's the case.
Solid advice and once again thank you for sharing!

Reactions: David C Gibbs

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
It would depend on if I could remove the blockage safely and without any possibility of environmental damage. If there was any question about this then I would turn around and head back.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

@slomatt

Good thought process!

We should all definitely keep in mind what damage we might being doing to the environment.
However with that being said, the "professionals" who would be coming along later on to clear the fallen tree are probably going to do some "kind"
of damage to the area immediately surrounding the fallen tree.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

@David C Gibbs

Wow.... Thank you for sharing the story of your friend, and yes situations like theses are unfortunate.
The things happen and as sad as they may be they happen. But like you said, you have to weigh the risk against the outcome. Also as you have said, never go it alone if that's the case.
Solid advice and once again thank you for sharing!
Thank You... I actually regret this post. But - it's important to know, am I properly equipt, do I have enough drinkable water for this leg of the trip? Are my tires in good shape? Do I have spare fluids, filters, duct-tape, etc. I have written over and over again, that the reason we bought the 62 Series LandCruiser in 88 (brand new) was to get us home safe. I am thankful for those who assisted us in training, rescue, and planning. That 30-year-old LC has 300K+ original owner miles on her. We are humbled that we have put almost a million miles in 3 different vehicles, have gone, done and been. Returned home, more in awe of seeing, doing, being. Michael states "Adventure is Necessary!" - I normally end some posts with "GO, BE, DO!"

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Clear and keep moving, also helps people who do not come prepared for that situation.
I agree. I just had to do this last weekend, in National Forest property.

Once the tree is down, it’s dead, more or less. This tree had just falling after a very heavy rain and wind storm ripped through. The tree was blocking an access road, and cars could barely squeak by using the ditch on the side.

Fortunately this didn’t require a chainsaw, although it would have been much easier[emoji16] I had my large Gomboy folding saw and even though it took a bit of time to clear it the two other vehicles that approached were more than happy to help clear it as well.

Thinking positively, we saved the NFS a bit of money[emoji16]

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have dragged a tree off the trail, but I didn't have a means to cut it up. It was only maybe 10-12" around at the base and about 20' long. I used my winch, but Id gave probably just used a tow strap if I were in that specific situation again.

Reactions: Horse Soldier

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I clear it.
The trails I go down there are no "authorities".

I have the proper equipment and training to use it.

The above post about the tragic chainsaw accident is a horrible thing to happen to a man and to the people that love him. I've come close and subsequently I wear chainsaw chaps now. Hopefully someone can learn from the above story and prevent more tragedy.

I've forgotten to bring my saw one time and had to clear a large tree with a hand saw and mostly my winch on the FJ and a snatch block.