Tracking an overlanding trip

• HTML tutorial

Babyruthless

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Florida
Hey everyone. I’m new to overlanding and was curious about tracking my trip. I am winding if there is an app or a something like that I can use to track my trip so that I can go back and see on a map exactly where we went.
As I’m sure all of you experience there isn’t great cell service in a lot of the places we drive so a lot of times we can’t see exactly where we are. Thanks.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

If you have an android device MyTracks is free. It uses the devices gps chip to track, even when no cell service it logs the gps tract. Once you get somewhere and have cell service or when you get home it overlays Google Maps. It has a record and stop button for when you want to start logging the trip. I used it allot before I discovered Gaia. Now it's on my navigation tablet.

Reactions: Babyruthless

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
The Garmin InReach can record your track, send it to others so they can watch your progress real time, and you can download it when you get home. Oh, and you can send text messages/emails when you don't have cell coverage, get the local weather forecast, bluetooths its gps to your tablet/phone, as well as call for rescue when you really screw things up bad. But it ain't free.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
What's nice is to have a mapping program on your home computer as well. I've used a bunch of programs over the years and now I just use Gaia. I log the track, then drop it on my home system. Now I can review it and possibly modify it adding stopping points or other variations if I go back to the area.
I found the easiest way to learn a new program is, program your trip to work into it. Get use to making a track and reviewing it. I do small trips to store and work then look at it at home. Now once you go on a trip somewhere you know where everything is and you don't have to figure it out once your there.

Scott

Ghost patrol

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cumming, Ga.
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Porter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4WAP
I agree on the GAIA app. The wife and I used it to map some trails in North Ga. Great app and I didnt have to buy a $300 GPS. I have it on my wifes ipad.

BAJAJULIO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

32.0546665,-116.8793335
Member #

The Garmin InReach can record your track, send it to others so they can watch your progress real time, and you can download it when you get home. Oh, and you can send text messages/emails when you don't have cell coverage, get the local weather forecast, bluetooths its gps to your tablet/phone, as well as call for rescue when you really screw things up bad. But it ain't free.