Toyota Tundra Registry

• HTML tutorial

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

Curious to see who all has Tundras on here, weather it be a first, second or third gen. There isn't a lot of them around in the overlanding scene from what I have noticed. Post up some pictures with details!

I'll start,
I have a 2004 Double Cab.
4.7l V8, 4x4, SR5
It is stock with the exception of all terrain tires and a canopy with a drawer system in the bed.
How it currently looks.

How it looked when I bought it a year and a half ago

Tundraoverland1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas
Member #

Hey there
This is my 15 tundra crewmax TRD 4x4 just starting overlanding and the build
Details of build so far and future plans are in my signature

20160902_145014.jpg 20161205_163254.jpg

Reactions: Steve G

Steve G

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Richmond, VA
Member #

Just joined the overland bound community and first post I see is about some Tundra love! That's a good sign. I like your drawer system, that's on my to-do list.

Here's mine,
2010 Rock Warrior Doublecab

tundra.JPG
tundra2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RaggedViking

Quattro

Rank 0

Contributor I

I've got a 2006 Double Cab. I'm torn on how to build it though as I've got a 99 Tacoma as well. I'm on pavement a ton with the Tundra is why. Decisions Decisions!

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

When I worked for Thule, I hand-picked a 2010 Tundra SR5 for my work truck. I loved it - and I loved the job - but as all things do; that came to an end and I begrudgingly handed over the keys when they let me go.
Sigh. Anyway, I posted a shot of it in the "Full Size Trucks" thread yesterday. It was cherry. Rode like a Cadillac.

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

Hey there
This is my 15 tundra crewmax TRD 4x4 just starting overlanding and the build
Details of build so far and future plans are in my signature

View attachment 11524 View attachment 11525
Nice truck! I love the white! I'm glad there are some fellow Tundra owners on here. I think the Tundra is often overlooked as an overland rig. Keep posting pictures of your build!

Reactions: Tundraoverland1

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

I've got a 2006 Double Cab. I'm torn on how to build it though as I've got a 99 Tacoma as well. I'm on pavement a ton with the Tundra is why. Decisions Decisions!
Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat as you. My Truck, like many others here, is my daily driver so I need to keep it very roadworthy. But the temptation to modify is so strong haha.
Do you have any pictures of your Tundra?

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

Just joined the overland bound community and first post I see is about some Tundra love! That's a good sign. I like your drawer system, that's on my to-do list.

Here's mine,
2010 Rock Warrior Doublecab

View attachment 11533
View attachment 11534
That is a great looking truck!
Welcome to OB. Where are you located in VA? I'm in Portsmouth, VA.
What are some specs on your rig?

When I worked for Thule, I hand-picked a 2010 Tundra SR5 for my work truck. I loved it - and I loved the job - but as all things do; that came to an end and I begrudgingly handed over the keys when they let me go.
Sigh. Anyway, I posted a shot of it in the "Full Size Trucks" thread yesterday. It was cherry. Rode like a Cadillac.
I saw your post over there. Looked like a great rig.

Reactions: RaggedViking

Tundraoverland1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas
Member #

Nice truck! I love the white! I'm glad there are some fellow Tundra owners on here. I think the Tundra is often overlooked as an overland rig. Keep posting pictures of your build!
Thanks man! Ya the white is so clean always wanted a white truck. And yea they are plenty capable as an overland rig.
Of course I will. I should have some big changes coming after the 1st of the year

Sent from my LG-H900 using OB Talk mobile app

KTempletonTX

Rank 0

Contributor I

New to the page here. Here's my new to me Tundra. Pretty solid platform to build from. Will be a DD / Family Adventure Mobile. I've had 2 Tacoma's and was a little bummed to see the lack of aftermarket support for this model after picking it up. Oh well, Work with what ya got! Look forward to stalking some of the other rigs on here.

Attachments

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

New to the page here. Here's my new to me Tundra. Pretty solid platform to build from. Will be a DD / Family Adventure Mobile. I've had 2 Tacoma's and was a little bummed to see the lack of aftermarket support for this model after picking it up. Oh well, Work with what ya got! Look forward to stalking some of the other rigs on here.
Great looking truck!
What size lift and tires do you have?
I've been researching like mad to find the right combo I want to put on my truck.

Steve G

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Richmond, VA
Member #

That is a great looking truck!
Welcome to OB. Where are you located in VA? I'm in Portsmouth, VA.
What are some specs on your rig?
Thanks, I'm in the Richmond area. My truck has OME613 front and rear suspension which gave it about 3.75 lift in the front and 2.5 in the rear, Exp-One Bumper, Cooper ST/Maxx 285/70/r17s, ARE CX shell. Dressed up for expo, I add my smittybilt RTT, foxwing awning and tagalong tent. Here's some shots from Expo East this year... this was just before I installed my bumper and suspension.

P1030777.jpg P1030779.jpg P1040121.JPG

KTempletonTX

Rank 0

Contributor I

Great looking truck!
What size lift and tires do you have?
I've been researching like mad to find the right combo I want to put on my truck.
Right now it's got what I believe to be a 2" spacer up front. And an add a leaf in rear. I'm going to replace the front suspension since shocks are shot. Hope to gain 1-2 inches from where I'm at now. Coils are shot. So I think I'll get more than I expect.

Tires 285/75/16

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: TXKid71

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

This thread could be good for me. Ive been living the good life having my beloved 1995 4runner to putt around in while my wife mainly uses our Tundra as the family rig. Well now she is wanting a family SUV to use instead of our 07 DC Tundra. If we get her something, then I'm left feeling like I need to let one of them go... but I love 'em both!
Letting go of the 4runner would be brutal, because of nostalgia and it's more prototypical "overland". But seeing some guys make their Tundra into fun machines makes me think I could (maybe) still be happy even without my old friend the 4runner.
My heart says 4runner, but my head says Tundra! I might need therapy, thinking about parting with one of my 4x4s [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

KTempletonTX

Rank 0

Contributor I

This thread could be good for me. Ive been living the good life having my beloved 1995 4runner to putt around in while my wife mainly uses our Tundra as the family rig. Well now she is wanting a family SUV to use instead of our 07 DC Tundra. If we get her something, then I'm left feeling like I need to let one of them go... but I love 'em both!
Letting go of the 4runner would be brutal, because of nostalgia and it's more prototypical "overland". But seeing some guys make their Tundra into fun machines makes me think I could (maybe) still be happy even without my old friend the 4runner.
My heart says 4runner, but my head says Tundra! I might need therapy, thinking about parting with one of my 4x4s [emoji24]

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app
I was always a 4runner/tacoma guy. Went to test drive a 2016 tacoma and the size difference wasn't much at all from the DC. I wanna say we are just 3"-4" wider

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

Thanks, I'm in the Richmond area. My truck has OME613 front and rear suspension which gave it about 3.75 lift in the front and 2.5 in the rear, Exp-One Bumper, Cooper ST/Maxx 285/70/r17s, ARE CX shell. Dressed up for expo, I add my smittybilt RTT, foxwing awning and tagalong tent. Here's some shots from Expo East this year... this was just before I installed my bumper and suspension.

View attachment 11950 View attachment 11951 View attachment 11952
That sir, is one nice set-up. I could move out of my house and live in that thing full time! Who needs a house or apartment when you could have THAT?!?

Reactions: K6VCC and Steve G

Steve G

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Richmond, VA
Member #

That sir, is one nice set-up. I could move out of my house and live in that thing full time! Who needs a house or apartment when you could have THAT?!?
Haha! All I need now is to get my fridge/solar setup going and that might be a very tempting scenario.

Steve G

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Richmond, VA
Member #

@raundhaus throw a cap on the back of that tundra and tell the wife to enjoy her new "Sequoia"... :smilingimp:

I almost traded in my Tundra for a more "accepted" overland vehicle (tacoma, 4runner, landcruiser, rover, jeep). Since I'll be overlanding with my family of four, I decided to just use my Tundra since it was paid for and only has 45k miles on it. I looked at the spec's it wasn't all that much bigger than a tacoma. That said, specs seem misleading a bit... b/c my '10 tundra just feels way way bigger than my friends '13 Tacoma, inside and out. With a family in mind, more interior and cargo room was a must. If it was just the wife and I... I'd go with something smaller with better mpg.

Here's some 2017 model specs.. I don't think it's changed much in the last few years...

Tundra, compared to Tacoma is: (double cab models)
5.4" taller
4.7" wider
16.6" longer overall
18.3" longer wheelbase
1.2" higher ground clearance