Towing a trailer in CA sucks

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Because my wife is from Southern California, we frequently travel there and every time I am reminded how much it sucks to tow a trailer. With a posted speed limit of 70 mph, autos towing trailers are limited to 55 mph. The one time I had my CDN M101 trailer with me I got a ticket in Azusa for going 64 mph in a 70 mph zone. I was in the far right lane and traffic was blowing by me like I was standing still. People often ask if there are any disadvantages to having a trailer and this one is at the top of a very short list.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Yup and you are limited to the 1st 2 lanes of a highway, bridge toll really sucks they charge a lot for that 3rd axle. 55mph with modern rig and trailer is just stupid sure 30 years ago it may have been a different story now it just seems dangerous.

Reactions: Isaac Garibay

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Yup and you are limited to the 1st 2 lanes of a highway, bridge toll really sucks they charge a lot for that 3rd axle. 55mph with modern rig and trailer is just stupid sure 30 years ago it may have been a different story now it just seems dangerous.
After moving to California from Chicago, I was always surprised at how fast everyone drove. Now, after adjusting to it, I drive much faster than I used to. I'm a bit shocked at how the law somehow thinks that having large trucks going 55 mph when everyone else is going 75 is safer. When I was in driver's ed they always taught us that, on the highway, ignore the speed limit and go at the same speed as traffic. The theory was that you're far more likely to be involved in an accident by going much faster or much slower than traffic. That being said, everyone in California needs to work on their following distances!

The problem is that many people don't tow safely (e.g. they follow too close thinking they can stop just as fast, they are way over their GVWR/towing capacity, loads aren't balanced, etc.). I suppose the law was established decades ago when 55 mph made sense and they left it that way due to individuals' behaviors.

Mikeyleigh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

they do thatmostly to give them one more reason to be able to pull the big rigs over for little things and run them through inspections.
as a truck driver being viewed as a professional driver gets to pay three times what any car driver gets fined for the same offence. so it is mostly fiscal. but if you see a truck going down the grapvine at more than 25. get out of his way. it will hurt when he gets to the bottom if he gets to the bottom.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I just got back from the CA Central Coast to the Central Valley and will be towing my overland trailer this weekend. I was just thinking the same thing on the way back home....I am going to get run-over going up Highway 99 going 55!! Not fun!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
It is just one of the many joys of living in this state.

And of course, it is a large state to have to cover. Slowly.

This speed limit is definitely a factor in trip planning, and several times has been the factor that drove our decision not to take the trailer.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
It's not because of the Jeep, it's CA law. You can't go above 55mph. However, I often pace Tractor Trailers, 5th wheels and other trailers going 70+ just to try to stay up with pace. If you even go 60+ with a trailer juat to pass someone, that's not fast enough for the 1st/2nd lanes....and you will get tailgatted, sped by or worse. And now with Tractor Trailer typically using the 2nd lane to travel.....it creates all kinds of issues for passing, pacing and just plain not losing your nerves!!

Mikeyleigh

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clarksville Va
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Conner
Member #

It's not because of the Jeep, it's CA law. You can't go above 55mph. However, I often pace Tractor Trailers, 5th wheels and other trailers going 70+ just to try to stay up with pace. If you even go 60+ with a trailer juat to pass someone, that's not fast enough for the 1st/2nd lanes....and you will get tailgatted, sped by or worse. And now with Tractor Trailer typically using the 2nd lane to travel.....it creates all kinds of issues for passing, pacing and just plain not losing your nerves!!
the biggest reason us big trucks run the middle lane in the city areas is to give room to the cars going on and going off at the ramps. to many california drivers just expect us to be able to move out of the way and then it is usually them that get hurt, either trying to crowd the big truck over.. which if he can he usually will. or they dont speed up enough to get out in front of him. and A either slams on the brakes creating a problem for others on the ramp behind him. or B nails it and either barely makes it. or gets slammed by the big truck wich cannot and will not stop in time. i saw it all the time when i drove there in the course of 6 years in and out of cali.. i am not saying it is just threre either. it is like that in every major city in the nation. in the city if i do not have to get off a a ramp or interchange i will get in the second lane and sit there all the way through the town. it may take a little longer but i dont have to keep my head on a swivel quite so much. they still cut me off and they still give me the bird cuss me out play the very dangerous game of brake checking me because i didnt get out of his way fast enough. if i have on a full load of steel. i gross just at 80,000 lbs. the wheels and tires on that rig weigh in as much as most cars. if you slam on the brakes in front of me. ill hit the brks but you can be sure i most likely wont stop in time. and that truck im rolling in. will crush you. and there is nothing i can do to stop it other then pray and hope for the best. then except the ticket that i will get 99% of the time. because that state can and will get more money out of me then it will the car operator. and the car operator if he survives. if i do not have film and witnesses to back me up will likely get a large chunk of money from my company. and from me and to top it off. i damage the truck i hurt someone i damage the load. you can guarantee i lost my job and will not be hired at another good company for a long long time. thus losing my livleyhood because of someone elses mistake. believe me i dont think all truck drivers are saints. but we do try to stay out of the way most of the time unless we cant.
sorry for the rant. and i dont mean to demean anyone with what i wronte. a lot of people don understand what those things drive like or handle like and especially understand if you stop in front of my truck and i am at highway speed. you will in all likely hood. die unless i can get the truck off to one side or another in time .
peace all

Reactions: SGT. and ArmyofMike

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

Its funny how many people complain about California laws and regulations but on the flip side love to vacation here and take advantage of what our state has to offer. I agree it is a little silly with the 55 mph thing but I don't see that changing anytime soon. I tow all the time and try to abide by the law. There is always the other option of not coming to California. I guess I am tired of hearing people complain about how strict California is yet at the same time those same people who always complain come here in droves clogging up our highways, parks, and other attractions. Summer is the worst here tons of tourists on top of the millions of people who live here. This small venting is not directed at anyone in particular as I may just have a bad case of the Mondays..haha

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Its funny how many people complain about California laws and regulations but on the flip side love to vacation here and take advantage of what our state has to offer. I agree it is a little silly with the 55 mph thing but I don't see that changing anytime soon. I tow all the time and try to abide by the law. There is always the other option of not coming to California. I guess I am tired of hearing people complain about how strict California is yet at the same time those same people who always complain come here in droves clogging up our highways, parks, and other attractions. Summer is the worst here tons of tourists on top of the millions of people who live here. This small venting is not directed at anyone in particular as I may just have a bad case of the Mondays..haha
My turn to vent... Well, my wife works for a company in LA and moved to Vegas 12 years ago to open another business for her boss. We met a few years after she got here and that business has now disbanded and her boss would really like to have her move back. She has been very honest by telling him there is absolutely no way we can move to CA because of me.

I will grudgingly spend a few days in CA to visit friends and family, but definitely feel like a fish out of water. Almost every firearm I own is illegal by California's ridiculous gun laws. Living in a relatively free state (NV), I feel the oppressiveness of the overwhelming legal and regulatory environment that infests every part of the state. And the common thread I see among all my CA friends and family is complaining about the system, but not willing to do anything to change it.

And if you want to talk about the problem of tourists, CA has nothing on Vegas.

HudsonZRoamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington, USA
First Name
Harley
Last Name
W
Member #

My turn to vent... Well, my wife works for a company in LA and moved to Vegas 12 years ago to open another business for her boss. We met a few years after she got here and that business has now disbanded and her boss would really like to have her move back. She has been very honest by telling him there is absolutely no way we can move to CA because of me.

I will grudgingly spend a few days in CA to visit friends and family, but definitely feel like a fish out of water. Almost every firearm I own is illegal by California's ridiculous gun laws. Living in a relatively free state (NV), I feel the oppressiveness of the overwhelming legal and regulatory environment that infests every part of the state. And the common thread I see among all my CA friends and family is complaining about the system, but not willing to do anything to change it.

And if you want to talk about the problem of tourists, CA has nothing on Vegas.
Nothing on Vegas???? California is the most visited state in the entire country. We have this little city here called Los Angeles you may have heard of. haha
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-popular-us-states-for-tourism-2014-10

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Reactions: ArmyofMike

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Back to original point....

Stay safe out there when towing. Plan ahead to drive for a longer timeframe and keep a safe distance from those in front of you. Also, have some compassion for those of us who ARE towing and let us over when we signal and don't ride our asses!

FeralBoy

Rank 0

Traveler I

Indiana
they do thatmostly to give them one more reason to be able to pull the big rigs over for little things and run them through inspections.
as a truck driver being viewed as a professional driver gets to pay three times what any car driver gets fined for the same offence. so it is mostly fiscal. but if you see a truck going down the grapvine at more than 25. get out of his way. it will hurt when he gets to the bottom if he gets to the bottom.
A effin men. I used to be an owner operator in CA. When I was not constantly getting harassed for being the brown driver of a 30 year old pick up truck because I didn't want to get the stains and damage of owning a dump truck into our brand new $50,000 car, they were constantly harassing anybody they thought could afford the ticket. It's hard to keep a full load of dirt going less than 67 on a downhill but there they were clocking us on the bottoms of grades. Meanwhile their fellow law enforcement, off duty, could blow by with boats at 85 miles an hour in the three quarter tons with the surgically clean beds that've never seen a drop of dirt ,and they look the other way...
I can get Mountains in Tennessee I can get Beach in Virginia ,Alabama and Florida I am never going back there...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk