Tough truck decisions, help?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Hey guys, need some help deciding between a couple vehicles and trims.
I’m currently a senior in high school and own a 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, but after this coming summer I’ll be driving to Montana to start my first semester at MSU. It’s about a 20hr drive, and luckily freshman are allowed to keep cars on campus.
I’ve already decided that i can’t take the Bimmer to Montana, 80in if annual snow in Bozeman(200in further north) and the terrain would eat up my car. So I’ve decided on buying a truck to take with me to school.
I came up with a few ideas right off the bat, and i used to be convinced that i wanted a full sized pickup like a Silverado, but I’m starting to realize that silverados ain’t too nice in my budget.
I’m working in around a $12k budget. My brother owns a 2000 4Runner and has been talking me into Toyota’s lately.
I’m in between a 4Runner like he has(either 2nd or 3rd Gen) and a 2nd Gen Tacoma.
V6 is a must in either vehicle, in the Tacoma because i couldn’t live with a 4cyl through the mountains, and V6 in the 4Runner because i need the fuel economy over the V8.
I’m undecided between getting a manual or auto, i daily a 6 speed and can’t imagine not kicking that clutch, but if i get another manual then most nobody else will be able to drive my truck in case i can’t. Also a 20hr drive would be rough driving stick.
With the Tacoma I’d prefer the quad cab. The Tacoma in my opinion seems like it’s more of a capable truck, and the 4Runner seems more like a natural over landing vehicle. I’m not going to be going far on either end of the spectrum, no huge overlanding trips and no intense off roading.
I know it’s a lot but I’m just trying to express my situation to the best of my ability. Hope you guys can weigh in on this. Any help and advice is appreciated!
- Preston

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

All I can say is good luck and whatever you get, post a few photos of it.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I think an argument could be made for the full time 4wd system available in 3rd and 4th gen 4Runners, given that you'll be in the snow. They use a torsen center locking differential, so in 4hi and unlocked you're essentially in awd.

I'd try and drive both, you may like the secure storage space the 4Runner affords, but pickups are always handy.. you'll make friend's quick because they'll want your help moving stuff!

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

My vote would be 2005 or newer Xterra Off Road (Rear factory electric Locker) also aftermarket is decently priced. They did come with a manual but very rare. For the $ I think they are one of the best bang for the buck!

Reactions: Michael

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

My vote would be 2005 or newer Xterra Off Road (Rear factory electric Locker) also aftermarket is decently priced. They did come with a manual but very rare. For the $ I think they are one of the best bang for the buck!
That is an excellent idea, lots of aftermarket support too. I'm a big fan of full-time 4wd but the value is hard to ignore with the Xterra.

Reactions: Michael

SNJTundra

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I think both the taco and the 4runner would be excellent choices for what you are looking for so it will really just depend on your budget and personal preference. I do love the 4runners, but after having a truck I couldn't imagine not having a bed. Whatever you decide post pictures. Safe travels getting to school and good luck.

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

You mention fuel economy . Interesting Chevy is usually the most efficient. The v8 Silverado is probably more efficient then the v6 Toyota. If your looking for fuel efficiency look at the Chevy Colorado ! Excellent all around truck.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
For a all terrain/all weather vehicle any of the mentioned will work well. The question is more about what you can find available and afford. Also remember to check the cost on the back end. What does it cost to maintain the vehicle, what will the tires cost, and MPG. With all that being said I am a truck guy and I always go the truck route. But it is just what suits me. I like the idea of a large cargo space that is separate from the main cabin. And if you want dry storage tonneau covers and camper shells are easy to acquire.

alaskan.lad

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Hurt
Member #

12,000 is a good budget, you can do a lot with that. My experience with the 89-95 toyotas and runners are that if there isn’t a good maintenance history and responsible ownership it’s better to stay away. That being said they have tons of longevity, and character. Not the fastest vehicles on the road, by any means, and average 12-16 mpg. If you do go with this gen, go for the manual, as the auto transmissions rob tons of Hp and drivability.

The 98-02 4 runners are choice because you can get the locking rear diff, plus the 3.4 motor which is updated in tons of good ways. Same story here with maintenance and a history of care.

Last thing I’ll say is stay away from rigs that have been lifted, factor in major maintenance and tires into your final price. Better to save a couple grand than spending your whole budget on something that is gonna need more money in the long run.

Craigslist Seattle/Portland is your friend. Let us know how it goes!

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

We have family in Bozeman I would suggest a used Subaru. Winters in Bozeman are rough on cars get something cheap and already beat up body wise.
Save your money for other things, lots on nice places to camp not far away.

Reactions: squishware

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

The problem with a Tacoma for ME would be your budget. The Tacoma holds it's value better than ANY truck, so for the same money you could probably buy a different Brand truck several years newer with FAR less miles on it. And I like a V-8.

I guess one could argue that the Tacoma's have legendary reliability, so an older one with more miles wouldn't matter.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
Do they salt the roads in MT? I would get a 4WD 10th gen f150 97-03. Cheap to buy, cheap parts, rock solid with the 4.6 motor and spark plug change. Let the salt eat something cheap. Get a Toyota when you get out and start getting paid. PS: I do not claim objectivity.

neverclean

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Indiana
I drive an 06 4Runner with the v8 on 32" tires, and I previously drove a 12 Tacoma (v6). The difference in MPG is insignificant, if you hammer the gas pedal your MPG will suck regardless. I'm averaging about 19MPG in my T4R and the engine is significantly better power wise. I am much happier with the 4R than I was with the Taco even though it is 6 years older. I picked up the Ltd for the heated seats (mostly for the wife, but I like them too) and spent about $12k. Even if you get the v6 in a 4Runner, it's the same engine as the Tacoma. Unless you really need the truck bed (I didn't) I advise a 4Runner.

Keboh

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Kansas City
Member #

If you are thinking you want the bed for a specific reason, grab the Taco. If you can't really think of anything specific you'd want the bed for, having your cargo space covered and out of the elements is nice... Especially because you'll make friends there with trucks you could take advantage of.

Also, the weight over the rear wheels might be an ever-so-slight bonus in the runner.

Reactions: alaskan.lad

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

+1 on the Subaru. Unless you plan on going off roading a lot the Subaru will give you all the service you need with plenty of space for all your worldly possessions. I drove a 66 VW Bug in college and never had a problem. Also don't get hung up on the snow I drove a 2WD Chevy long bed truck for years in Maine and never had a problem, just trough on some studded snow tires and a little extra weight in the back. And my wife drove a Crown Vic with the same set up. Never got stuck.