First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Koenig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UQW
Hello,
I first came to OB by searching YouTube looking for vids on First Aid/Trauma kits and have been hooked ever since, watching many videos and living vicariously through these adventures.
I was very reluctant to join as a member because my rig is not really worthy. However, I read the thread introduction and felt I would be accepted as Michael has made me feel welcomed through every video, so I happily joined - Member 29159.

Background:
I am a 55yr old, QA Manager (formerly worked as a Mechanical Engineer on Space Shuttle hardware) and have experience as a former Electronic Tech, and have self-taught auto repair skills. I have hated the constant rat race that life has been for many years after my wife and I had kids. Our 2 girls are finishing college and we need to start living again. As Michael says, adventure is necessary, I could not agree with him more, and am at a point where we need to make a change. The outdoors is food for the soul. Have done camping before and have all the gear minus a new tent - something I would love to do again - currently in discussion with family.
A few years ago I became interested in the whole prepping thing and started by putting together a home bug-out-bag, extra pantry and paper item storage, a vehicle get-home-bag. My focus has been on the get-home-bag, vehicle tools, and vehicle first aid/trauma kit. I was a former EMT and have a passion about carrying a good vehicle first aid/trauma kit - I will most likely be posting about my FAK thoughts in the future.
To link in with the prepping mindset, I recently obtained my Technician HAM license - KD2UQW, which I now realize could be useful in an overlanding a group.

Home is Northern NJ, about 9 miles west of NYC. I have had some off-roading experience with the terrible roads and potholes my poor vehicle has to routinely endure, lol. It takes a good drive to get away from people and really get into nature from where I live. 3 yr plan is to sell house and move to FL, that's a story for another day.

Rig
Current rig is a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS with 134k miles (bought with 35k for $4k) that needs some suspension work (shocks/bushings), where I do almost all of the repairs myself. Running Goodyear Wrangler 235/75R15 105S (seems adequate for everyday drive and weekend stuff). I do not think I will be upgrading the vehicle to make it a true off-roader (water crossings and narrow mountain roads scare me terribly), so a moderate trail would be the limit. Have a brush guard and need to install the nerf bars I bought last year. Upgraded radio with integrated GPS maps and rear camera. Plan on adding power panel to back of vehicle, similar to Michael's "Power in the Back" video.

Future Plans
I am trying to convince the wife to go camping again, to get back into nature. Trouble is having to take 2 girls in 20's who don't like bugs, dirt, and weak or non-existent WiFi!!! Other options are to look into nature trails with some hiking when the summer kicks in. Desperately have to get out of town, tired of seeing the same roads, supermarkets and Walmarts. There is definitely more to life than this.......

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Welcome to the sandbox from So. Cal.
I would talk to the family as to what they want or expect for a weekend trip, wifi, bathrooms, showers, driving times, hiking trails whatever. Plan a short trip based around their needs. The goal is for them go, have a good time and want to go again. You can work up to longer, bigger adventures they get on board. Maybe use a developed campground starting out. If the girls don't want to go let them stay home, no use everybody having a tough weekend. Make sure the wife has a good time, cook, do the dishes, bring her favorite drink. Sleeping comfortably is a must. If your to spend money, do it on a comfortable nights sleep.

You rig is fine, just go! A tent is nice, I don't always use one here in So.Cal. because of our lack of rain. You'll figure out what upgrades you want as use what you go. All the stuff you see people sporting isn't required. if your wife doesn't like tent camping rent a Motor home.

Some of us need to get away for our well being. I would travel solo if my wife didn't want to go sometimes.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Omg, you don’t have a brand new taco with a 12” lift on 44s? You can’t be a “real” overlander.

now, back in the real world, welcome aboard! i had a 97 explorer for a long time, it would have been plenty capable for the stuff I’m doing these days. My current overlanding rig is a cop car.

Reactions: gjkoenig

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Everybody brings something to the table.

Sometimes it's that nasty green jello with coconut that grandma used to make and I don't want any, but everybody brings something.

Welcome, and "run what you brung" I'm a self professed gear queer but that doesn't mean I'll think any less of you if you eat out of a cat food can and sleep in a trash sack.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hello,
I first came to OB by searching YouTube looking for vids on First Aid/Trauma kits and have been hooked ever since, watching many videos and living vicariously through these adventures.
I was very reluctant to join as a member because my rig is not really worthy. However, I read the thread introduction and felt I would be accepted as Michael has made me feel welcomed through every video, so I happily joined - Member 29159.

Background:
I am a 55yr old, QA Manager (formerly worked as a Mechanical Engineer on Space Shuttle hardware) and have experience as a former Electronic Tech, and have self-taught auto repair skills. I have hated the constant rat race that life has been for many years after my wife and I had kids. Our 2 girls are finishing college and we need to start living again. As Michael says, adventure is necessary, I could not agree with him more, and am at a point where we need to make a change. The outdoors is food for the soul. Have done camping before and have all the gear minus a new tent - something I would love to do again - currently in discussion with family.
A few years ago I became interested in the whole prepping thing and started by putting together a home bug-out-bag, extra pantry and paper item storage, a vehicle get-home-bag. My focus has been on the get-home-bag, vehicle tools, and vehicle first aid/trauma kit. I was a former EMT and have a passion about carrying a good vehicle first aid/trauma kit - I will most likely be posting about my FAK thoughts in the future.
To link in with the prepping mindset, I recently obtained my Technician HAM license - KD2UQW, which I now realize could be useful in an overlanding a group.

Home is Northern NJ, about 9 miles west of NYC. I have had some off-roading experience with the terrible roads and potholes my poor vehicle has to routinely endure, lol. It takes a good drive to get away from people and really get into nature from where I live. 3 yr plan is to sell house and move to FL, that's a story for another day.

Rig
Current rig is a 2001 Ford Explorer XLS with 134k miles (bought with 35k for $4k) that needs some suspension work (shocks/bushings), where I do almost all of the repairs myself. Running Goodyear Wrangler 235/75R15 105S (seems adequate for everyday drive and weekend stuff). I do not think I will be upgrading the vehicle to make it a true off-roader (water crossings and narrow mountain roads scare me terribly), so a moderate trail would be the limit. Have a brush guard and need to install the nerf bars I bought last year. Upgraded radio with integrated GPS maps and rear camera. Plan on adding power panel to back of vehicle, similar to Michael's "Power in the Back" video.

Future Plans
I am trying to convince the wife to go camping again, to get back into nature. Trouble is having to take 2 girls in 20's who don't like bugs, dirt, and weak or non-existent WiFi!!! Other options are to look into nature trails with some hiking when the summer kicks in. Desperately have to get out of town, tired of seeing the same roads, supermarkets and Walmarts. There is definitely more to life than this.......
Hey welcome, Glenn!

That's a great intro of experience, situation, and aspirations.

Looking forward to your suggestions in FAKs, especially.

If you're ever up Maine way or see that I'm on the road somewhere near where you may be adventuring, feel free to holler and see if we can meet up for a fire.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Welcome and enjoy.

A good overland vehicle is well maintained and reliable, pure stock is often the most reliable since mods, upgrades including bigger tires add stress to all the rest. If the girls are in their 20s, I'm betting they soon won't be holding you back. Sounds like you have a great plan, first aid, comms, camera. Get that tent and go.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hello,

Background:

Rig

Future Plans
Welcome to Overland Bound
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the East Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative to you is @diabetiktaco
Your Regional Director is @Nomadik Nova
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
You might be interested in our Friday night Ham Net;

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I'll add my voice to those saying that your vehicle is fine (with the suspension fixed; you could drive to Argentina and back with no problems (shipping it to get across the Darien of course)). Have fun!