Topper Shell vs. Pop-up Truck camper

• HTML tutorial

Gmanf150

Rank 0

Traveler I

So I am sure this has been covered, but here I am asking. Truck topper shell or to get a truck bed pop-up camper. So here is the layout, 2013 F150 6.2L with the Max tow package and 6.6 bed. I don't really own much camping gear at all and my overall goal is to start getting away from the hustle and bussel of everyday life and to simplify a bit. The cost of a matching topper is about $2500. I live in Montana and want to go to places like Moab, the western coast, and some really amazing mountain hikes. Advise away please.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Fun dilemma.

One thing you might want to look into is how we do truck camper winter there.

I know winters in Bozeman we're always hard on my grandparents campers when I was a kid.

That was a long time ago and materials are a lot better these days.

Sent from my "Smart Phone"

Reactions: Gmanf150

Stix

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Member #

So I am sure this has been covered, but here I am asking. Truck topper shell or to get a truck bed pop-up camper. So here is the layout, 2013 F150 6.2L with the Max tow package and 6.6 bed. I don't really own much camping gear at all and my overall goal is to start getting away from the hustle and bussel of everyday life and to simplify a bit. The cost of a matching topper is about $2500. I live in Montana and want to go to places like Moab, the western coast, and some really amazing mountain hikes. Advise away please.
So you really cant go wrong either way here. Speaking from experience I prefer the topper, only because you can use it to camp and it can also give you much more dry storage area. You can keep all your stuff in the bed and it'll be dry, giving you more room in the cab of the truck for people or whatever. Plus down the road ou may want a RTT or just a roof rack and you can add it to the shell. I think you'll be pleased either way. Good luck and keep us posted!

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I guess it depends on where you see yourself going, how long you want to be out in the wilderness, what level of comfort and convenience you want/need, and what is your budget.
A truck canopy and a pop up off road truck camper are really completely different things.
We just took possession of our new Four Wheel Camper Hawk. It has pretty much everything a regular camper or RV would, just more compact, and a lot lighter. We have a queen size bed, a dinette, sink, stove, fridge, 20 gallon fresh water tank, 6 gallon hot water tank, furnace, outside shower, solar, and a porta potti.
Their would be a substantial weight difference between our camper and a truck canopy, and we'll.... the cost isn't in the same arena. But again, it really depends on what you think your needs are, where you want to travel, how long you plan in being on the road, and what creature comforts and amenities you want along on your adventures.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Love to see some pictures of that

Sent from my "Smart Phone"

Marshfly

Rank I

Contributor III

Houma LA
I've had both. If it's just you and one other person traveling the popup camper is way awesome since you can use the back seat of the truck for storage. Add a kid or two in the back seats and you have zero room for stuff. I sold mine soon after we had our first kid to upgrade to a hard side Lance then sold that soon after we had our second because we were out of room. I fly fish and that stuff takes up a ton of room by itself. Now we tent camp and are looking for a mid 20ft travel trailer to use as a base camp. I have a Leer topper on my Ram 3500 SRW now and it's the best mod I've done to the truck by far. Weatherproof storage for everyday use and traveling is simply awesome.

GoodShot

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Arizona
First Name
MaRiane
Last Name
Kooistra
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good Shot
I guess it depends on where you see yourself going, how long you want to be out in the wilderness, what level of comfort and convenience you want/need, and what is your budget.
A truck canopy and a pop up off road truck camper are really completely different things.
We just took possession of our new Four Wheel Camper Hawk. It has pretty much everything a regular camper or RV would, just more compact, and a lot lighter. We have a queen size bed, a dinette, sink, stove, fridge, 20 gallon fresh water tank, 6 gallon hot water tank, furnace, outside shower, solar, and a porta potti.
Their would be a substantial weight difference between our camper and a truck canopy, and we'll.... the cost isn't in the same arena. But again, it really depends on what you think your needs are, where you want to travel, how long you plan in being on the road, and what creature comforts and amenities you want along on your adventures.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Have you taken you Four Wheel Camper out yet? I am thinking about getting one for my F150.

GoodShot

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Arizona
First Name
MaRiane
Last Name
Kooistra
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good Shot
King Ranch.jpg
My King Ranch. Just put a re-manufactured engine in it. Started at zero miles again. Sooo happy I got my truck back

Reactions: Majorbacon8r