Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I think most have a tire plug kit but how many get a set of Colby Valve stems? I've damaged valve stems more often than puncturing a tire.

Reactions: sabjku

2boverlanding

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

1/2 breaker bar, I carry a large c clamp for fixing stuck brake calipers (rescued more than one buddy on the trail this way). Complete set of 1/2 in drive metric regular and deep sockets. A set of 3/8 inch drive sockets. An good quality all in one screw driver, a set of torx bit sockets, a set of Allen wrenches in metric, electrical and duct tape, zip ties, fuses, electrical connectors, multi meter, a good set of pliers, various sized sockets that are not included in the sets that work for my vehicle. Extensions for the sockets. A large socket to take the bearing hubs off the front of the jeep in case of a broken front axle. (Did this once on the trail on a winter snow run for a buddy, able to limp him out in 2 wheel drive and a tow strap). Various size hose clamps from 1/2 inch to 2.5 inch. A spare oil filter, filter wrench and oil. Extra gear oil, a razor knife, Crimping pliers for electrical wiring. A bottle jack. Jumper cables. I carry two wrenches of some of the sizes as it just makes life easier when wrenching on my vehicle in the driveway. Extra inserts to put my fenders back on as tend to rub them off on rocks and trees when im off road. Carry spare bulbs and lights for the vehicle and the overland trailer.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

A roll of tie wire and good set of lineman pliers. It will do about everything zip-ties can do but stronger & heat resistant. It can be used to replace broken hose clamps in a pinch, keep damaged body parts from flopping or dragging, lace up ripped canvas, hang a tarp, twist around threads of bolts to keep nuts from backing off......... The list of uses is endless.

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
So I used to carry TONS of tools, like nearly enough to overhaul an engine on the side of trail. The single biggest thing I have found that is useful, is simply maintaining your rig. The only times I had issues is when I neglected something, or was so incredibly stupid that things were guaranteed to go wrong. Anymore I dont carry anything beyond a spare tire and tools to change that. Now granted part of this is because I dont go to way removed places anymore, but honestly no amount of tooling and spares in the back country will substitute good maintenance and a cool head on the trail. Also one thing I always did and continue to do, if its too far to walk out make sure theres another rig with you.

Reactions: sabjku and max.grun