Took the solar dive, DIY install options?

• HTML tutorial

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

We only get one life to live so I bit the bullet! My solar system parts are ordered and I am awaiting delivery. After tons of reading and great eye opening advice here I ended up getting random parts. It seemed that all the "kits" had something I wanted to upgrade OR they were just ridiculously priced. I also wanted to leave my options open for expansion should my plans work out for our couple year tour of the entire continental US.

I digress, lol...
All I need to do now is install it in my 13' JKUR. I do not want a permanent installation , but I will of course need something that can handle the rugged roads less traveled "securely". Im thinking of maybe a dual battery box that I can somehow attach a panel to that will hold the controller and inverter. One unit but 2 pieces?

How do you guys mount your systems?

If you have photos of your setup I would love to see some for ideas !! :smile:

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Here are the parts that I am using...

100w Windy Nation Flex Monocrystalline Panel
100ah Windy Nation AGM Battery (x2)
Epever 20A MPPT Controller

AIMS 600W Pure Sine Inverter
30' Panel Cable Extensions
Cllena 12V Socket Charger/V Meter

51AAlMoLytL__SL1000_.jpg USB12V Power.jpg EPEVER 20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller Tracer.jpg windy nation 100w mono.jpg battery.jpg 30ft - 12AWG Cable Ext.jpg

Last edited:

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Whats funny I worked for Southern Cal Edison, for 35 years. All our trucks had 1000 watt to 6500 watt generator or a gen set to use in the field. or if needed a full on trailer gen set that could power a housing tract...........

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I never did anything solar but love the quiet of solar. Generators are loud on the job, I surely don't want to hear one in the wilderness.
I am trying to keep the cost down. Right now I am at $700 and am ordering one more battery I think.

Last edited:

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

I never did anything solar but love the quiet of solar. Generators are a nuisance on the job, I surely don't want to hear one in the wild...lol.

Kreiger is one of the better names I have been reading about and out of the better reviews I have read this one had more bang for the buck. I am trying to keep the cost down. Right now I am at $700 and am ordering one more battery I think.
You got that right, about the noise!!! That is one reason I am looking too. And I am done with having to fuel them too.........

Reactions: Glenn

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

Love that idea but $200...yikes ! Thinking of building something cheaper.
You can find the 1440s for under 150. Anther case manufacturer that's decent and less expensive is Plano. If you're thinking two batteries, have you seen this build? He uses a large Plano storage w/ 2 55AH, but I think it may fit two 100 AH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

You can find the 1440s for under 150. Anther case manufacturer that's decent and less expensive is Plano. If you're thinking two batteries, have you seen this build? He uses a large Plano storage w/ 2 55AH, but I think it may fit two 100 AH.

THAT is an awesome setup! Maybe I need to rethink the storage box again. A quality box like the pelican would definitely be the way to go. Planos are nice but it would need to be a heavy duty box. I do like the way that is done though. Thanks for that video :yum:

Last edited:

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

He did a great job w/ the fit and finish. Looks like a real finished product, in some ways, nicer than the LFPs.
Another option to consider is use a cheap marine battery case, but add Anderson ports so they would be gangable. Marine battery cases are abundant in the sub $20 range...

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

I agree with his quality. Cannot believe that is a Plano. Just looks heavier than that but his design? He had a great plan with placement.

kennedyma

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Going to be following this thread. Looks like a great setup you have there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk