• HTML tutorial

geoff

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bakersfield, Ca
Member #

Hey all,
I am new here and to the overland fun. Camped my whole life but mostly in campgrounds with toilets. I was wondering what everyone has found to be the easiest and cleanest way to handle #2 without leaving a mess? Also if momma is with you I am sure they would like some privacy and was wondering what everyone uses?
Thanks!

Reactions: TNoutdoors

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

I have seen people use the 5 gal bucket with a pool noodle around the rim. For me, it's easier just to dig a hole and squat, easy cleanup and don't have to find an area to discard it. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Here's a link to the hitch mounted seat on Amazon. Even if you're not remotely interested in the product, do yourself a favor and go and read the first two reviews. You'll thank me. :)

http://amzn.to/1TrYdMJ
Hahahaha

I use this. Sturdy comfortable. Folds up small no mess. I bring some kitty litter too

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Lugable loo with some bags I got from Emergency Essentials. It's a bucket with a seat. You get these bags that are like opaque super-duty double seal ziplocks, I side each one is a larger bag with a powder in the bottom that neutralizes odor and turns liquids into a gel. Unfold the inner bag and put it over the bucket like you would a trash bag, then put the seat on, proceed to answer the call of nature. When you are done, the inner bag with the ... contents goes back inside the attached super-ziplock, which then goes in the Trasharoo to be disposed of when you can empty the trash.

I used this rather cheap system on a couple of trips and it works very well and is nice and hygenic. I have never had a bag leak or break.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Pack it out is the best choice, but not always the easiest. If you dig a cat hole, there should be at least 6" of dirt on top, and if you are near water, at least 200' away. I like the 5 gallon bucket, detachable seat (with folding lid) and wagbags route. A short walk to some trees or rocks is usually enough privacy. Go to a store and test out different privacy shelters. I have one ordered online that is almost impossible to zip shut there's so much tension between the door panel and wall. The Trasharoo really makes it easy to transport your "stuff".

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
I just pulled the trigger (after whey to much research) on this gem form austinkayak.com. $66.00 for Reliance Fold-To-Go Portable Toilet and Cleanwaste GO Anywhere Toilet Kit - 12 pk Wag Bag, good review son both.
You can legally dispose of them in the trash also. I almost purchased the luggable loo and I did not care for the bucket, takes up to much room.
Oh and that was with free shipping.....I just can't dig a hole and leave it in the wild...

Reactions: WTAGP

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I use this portable toilet... with a wife and 2 little girls this has worked very well. It's a bit low to the ground, which makes the bowels happy... but standing up after requires some core muscles, lol. We tried the 3 legged version and it was way too unsteady.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/3037/hassock-portable-chemical-toilet

After being eaten alive by black flies one spring (I found those little bastards EVERYWHERE) we invested in this.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/67614/browning-privacy-shelter

Which is also handy if you have unexpected guests boat or quad up to your wilderness camp site... no more penguin walking around a tree required, lol.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Nice FJ!!!
Loved the "penguin walking around a tree" I looked at that also "but" I did not like size size. I'm going to give my new setup a shack down Cruz. Hopefully will report back without misfortune....

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
WOW Winterpeg, I was curious if you were on FJCF and to my surprise, That's allot of posts, and impressed with the status.
Now I know who to ask!!!!! anything FJ....

Reactions: ASNOBODY

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Nice FJ!!!
Loved the "penguin walking around a tree" I looked at that also "but" I did not like size size. I'm going to give my new setup a shack down Cruz. Hopefully will report back without misfortune....
My requirements for any tent is the ability to peg it down and have multiple guy wires. This one met that requirement. One problem with it was the vertical poles are steel (weight isn't an issue so that's fine), but the poles going across the top are fiberglass.... had a heck of a storm and a top pole busted piercing the top rain fly. We've replaced it now and plan on putting that back into the bush a bit more to protect it from the wind.

WOW Winterpeg, I was curious if you were on FJCF and to my surprise, That's allot of posts, and impressed with the status.
Now I know who to ask!!!!! anything FJ....
That just means I don't have a life.... lol.

I am still no expert but would be more than happy to answer any FJ related questions. That forum is a pretty good resource for all things FJ and a quick search can turn up lots of answers.... the internal search bar isn't as good as Google with "fjcruiserforums.com" added into the search criteria.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Agreed, Most of the info is a great resource, but some of the "I have this noise what do I do" just gets me. Or you get the person trolling to buy one and they complain about viability, I personally have never had ANY Problem with the FJ, amazing and very costly engineering went into these. That includes all the FJ series vehicles. I would love to have an 80 with the magic switch but, I live in Ca and I don't gold mine either.
I have not picked up a potty tent yet. I'm going to check for an Ozark trail one at Walmart cheap and try it.
FJCF mmn

Reactions: Winterpeg