Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I agree that the 5 gallon bucket route is kinda bulky, but you can save some space by storing all of your WagBags, TP, wipes, etc. inside the bucket when not in use. Always pack extra WagBags too. There seems to be one or two people who didn't pack enough. Or, sometimes, there's a box in a privacy shelter, and I'll just replace one that I use with one I brought.

Another good thing about the WagBags is that they can hold a lot of liquid. When base camping, I find one bag can last for a day's worth of action. Large Gatorade bottles are also good for those "there's not enough time to get dressed, and grab a flashlight" moments.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

Rob GoVenture

Rank III

Advocate I

We go the 5 gallon bucket route.
Toilet seat lid that I bought at a local sporting goods store.

I pack a few grocery bags worth at the bottom with absorbant or kitty litter. We "go" in these bags that fit in the bucket , at seal up for disposal. I can't remember the name but they are available at most sporting goods places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
The one demand my Wife made when we started in on this overland adventure travel, was the inclusion of a proper throne for herself.

I here you and mine had the same concern. We have one of these. and use WAG bags.....upload_2016-9-6_19-21-5.png

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Anybody have issues attracting critters with the porto-toilet/bag systems? I've always used the "dig a hole" method, but when I do that, the hole is usually quite a ways from camp.

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Anybody have issues attracting critters with the porto-toilet/bag systems? I've always used the "dig a hole" method, but when I do that, the hole is usually quite a ways from camp.
My personal preference is pack it out if you can. There are ecological and biological issues with animals coming in contact with human waist and paper left behind. Many articles with varying opinions...

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

My personal preference is pack it out if you can. There are ecological and biological issues with animals coming in contact with human waist and paper left behind. Many articles with varying opinions...
FWIW, I always pack out paper waste, even with the hole method. I was just wondering how effectively the wag bags (etc...) seal, since that's a lot more stinky matter than just paper. All the product descriptions indicate no odor, of course, but I'm curious about first hand accounts.

My ultimate goal is to eliminate any/all solid waste leftovers, hence my interest in the portable toilet option.

ETA- I definitely need a Trasharoo, either way.

Reactions: mmnorthdirections

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
FWIW, I always pack out paper waste, even with the hole method. I was just wondering how effectively the wag bags (etc...) seal, since that's a lot more stinky matter than just paper. All the product descriptions indicate no odor, of course, but I'm curious about first hand accounts.

My ultimate goal is to eliminate any/all solid waste leftovers, hence my interest in the portable toilet option.

ETA- I definitely need a Trasharoo, either way.
I have had no odor problems at all and the bags seal very well. I do double the trash bags in the trasharoo and had zero issue....

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I'm a number of hours WAAAY into the bush when we camp. We use the bag system. We have never had any issue with critters wanting to be anywhere near the privacy tent we have the toilet set up in. The privacy tent has a removable floor and would not be difficult for any type of critter to get into if it was the least bit determined.

Re: odour. We let the bags fill for a few days and then replace them. The durable ziploc bag that the black bag is inside works pretty good and has a double ziploc closure. It closes pretty good and stays closed. We actually use the bag system with the toilet.... and after a few days take that way back away from camp and dig a hole and empty it into the hole. So all that I take back is the empty soiled bag. Way better than packing back over 15 lbs of human waste (there's 4 of us and we stay out there for quite a number of days). I have never seen any critter dig up a hole that I've dug to get at my crap. I guess the critters in the USA are a bit more desperate?? I dunno, lol.

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I'm a number of hours WAAAY into the bush when we camp. We use the bag system. We have never had any issue with critters wanting to be anywhere near the privacy tent we have the toilet set up in. The privacy tent has a removable floor and would not be difficult for any type of critter to get into if it was the least bit determined.

Re: odour. We let the bags fill for a few days and then replace them. The durable ziploc bag that the black bag is inside works pretty good and has a double ziploc closure. It closes pretty good and stays closed. We actually use the bag system with the toilet.... and after a few days take that way back away from camp and dig a hole and empty it into the hole. So all that I take back is the empty soiled bag. Way better than packing back over 15 lbs of human waste (there's 4 of us and we stay out there for quite a number of days). I have never seen any critter dig up a hole that I've dug to get at my crap. I guess the critters in the USA are a bit more desperate?? I dunno, lol.
Thanks Winterpeg- You answered another question I had, which was whether or not each bag would tolerate multiple "deposits"...

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Thanks Winterpeg- You answered another question I had, which was whether or not each bag would tolerate multiple "deposits"...
The last trip out we used 3 bags for 10 days... (2 adults and a 12 and a 10 yr old). Definitely take more bags than you think you will need though for a little pee-s of mind, lol. Just keep the lid on the toilet to keep out the flies. Admittedly we made the first bag stretch a bit longer than typical though, lol.

Oh, and no amount of odour eliminator powder or anything else will make that privacy tent smell pretty after the first day, lol. Zip open windows are handy, lol.

And... peeing in the toilet was discouraged... of course with girls in the family that of course happened.... but at least they weren't filling it with pee all day long.

AZ_Overland

Rank III

Advocate II

We have used several different toilets in the past but currently we are using a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out and we dig holes under the toilet. We also use TP that digrades quickly. And to be honest I work in the waste water industry and TP is basically broken down before it hits our plant. But digging a minimum of 12 inches down is important.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
PETT/Wag Bags for the win! Have been using one for years and recently purchased a second. We have the full blown kits with backpack and tent. We place our hat on the top of the tent when using the PETT - a good sign to others to stay away :) We also always leave a fresh wag bag setup for the next person - its nice to be able to sit in a hurry if the need arises... When we strike camp the unused wag bag gets resealed and redeployed at the next camp. We keep used wag bags in a separate trash bag on the far edge of camp and smell has never been an issue. Nice thing is that you can just throw the used wags away when convenient. We also utilize the "single serving" method - one sitting one bag...

Best PETT memory? Looking up from my throne and seeing a beaver in a stream 10 feet away looking at me.
Funniest PETT memory? Watching each person carrying their warm bag of waste from the PETT to the trash :)

+1 for baby wipes at the toilet. They are a special treat on frozen mornings ;)

Last edited: