Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, Alberta
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Fuller
Member #

I decided to go with a snorkel just for the added protection from the occasional water crossing but mostly for clean air. But I also increased a couple of miles per gallon in fuel economy which I wasn't expecting, my Jeep doesn't compare to a Prius but every little bit help haha. The good thing with the Jeep JKs is it's a hole in the hood so if it had to be removed then I just swap the hood, that's a little easier than a quarter panel.View attachment 32136View attachment 32135 View attachment 32137

Also... "Just a hole
It's mounted to the A pillar and two factory holes on top or the quarter panel inside the engine bay, the hood closes over top of it. View attachment 32201View attachment 32202

Oh ok, pics made it look like it was hard bolted to the hood, I feel like I can make something like that adapt to the sierra, intake is in the same location on the vehicle so it's just a matter sealing the air box inside the engine bay and then adapting the mounting hardware to my truck.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Crossing a lot of rivers during our Iceland Expeditions, requires a snorkel - simply not possible to cross theses rivers otherwise...

Fitting a snorkel to a Toyota Hilux was quite standard, but did require a hole cut into the side panel.

Toyota Hilux AT37 Neil.jpg

What needs to be emphasised is that a snorkel can only "hold out" for so long, when subject to water testing.
Unfortunately, a lot of folks believe once it is fitted, nothing can go wrong - but it can.
Always check the seals inside the engine housing, they can come loose / wear.

I think they add value to the styling - and clearly demonstrate your rig capable of a river-crossing....

You also need to remember to waterproof all your electric joints with appropriate hydrophobic electrical joint gel.
If not, the snorkel may work during a river crossing, preventing hydrolocking your engine, but you may short-out electrical circuits / fuses.

Here is a link to an excellent article about "Waterproofing your vehicle" from Pangaea Expeditions.
http://pangaea-expeditions.com/waterproofing-your-vehicle/

Matt_Lang

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've decided against snorkeling my jeep because I feel as though it would encourage me to do something stupid. Adding on to what Neal said about beliefs concerning "once it is fitted, nothing can go wrong" if you're driving a stick, you definitely don't want to touch the clutch when you're in a water crossing, you can get all the water and debris in between the clutch plate and really mess up the clutch from what I've read. I haven't experienced this and don't know anyone who has but I've read a lot about it which is why I tend to stay far away from deep water and deep watery mud which is quite hard living on the east coast.

Neil Q Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I've decided against snorkeling my jeep because I feel as though it would encourage me to do something stupid. Adding on to what Neal said about beliefs concerning "once it is fitted, nothing can go wrong" if you're driving a stick, you definitely don't want to touch the clutch when you're in a water crossing, you can get all the water and debris in between the clutch plate and really mess up the clutch from what I've read. I haven't experienced this and don't know anyone who has but I've read a lot about it which is why I tend to stay far away from deep water and deep watery mud which is quite hard living on the east coast.
Hei Matt

You are right not to fit one, if you have no intension of using it.
If nothing else, it won't encourage you to try something, you may regret later.

I have a stick-shift gearbox, and know the risks of gear change, whilst mid-river.
Sometimes it just has to be done, especially when you get stuck on a boulder - need to change down, etc.
But best avoided if at all possible.

River crossings are not for the faint hearted.
Every crossing is different.
Never get too complacent.
It's a great feeling each time, and highly rewarding after each successful crossing.

Here is an example of a nice smooth river crossing (Herðubreiðarlindir, Iceland).
Notice we drive in a curve upstream, to keep to the flatter riverbed (direct crossing is a lot more bumpy).

Reactions: French

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

I lost an engine in my 87 Silverado back in 2003. The water wasn't even over the door sills, but it waked up the broad, flat front of the truck and took out my 200,000+ mile 350. No hard feelings at that point, and insurance paid me good money to purchase and install a new engine myself. Since then, snorkels.

My next rig was a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. The conventional snorkel was a pain in the ass because sandwiched in inside the fender was - no, not Oreo filling - but the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. If you've ever looked under the hood on an XJ with a 4.0, space is at a real premium, making relocation more of a chore than I wanted to endure. I opted for modifying the stock air box and installing a cowl snorkel, which was a $19 universal tube from the local auto parts store and a $6 tube of high quality construction sealant from my window manufacturer.

With my FJ, I just used the conventional snorkel. I considered doing another cowl snorkel, but decided with it that I'd rather throw a hole in an easily-replaceable fender rather than above the firewall. I usually don't like the look of the big fender-and-A-pillar tumor, but clearly I am not going for aesthetics or aerodynamics with this build. Aeaeaeaeaeae.
I need to get some of the tubing for my subarus snorkel.

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Definitely snorkel, cleaner air on the dusty trail and you never know when you may need to do a water crossing.IMG_0147.JPG

Reactions: chithead

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I believe more people install them for the clean air then water crossings. Going slow in the dirt your fan will circulate all the dust the tires kick up under the vehicle and some will make it to the air filter. Will help make the air filter last longer.

So along this point:
I do not have a snorkel yet, but I do have an extra AEM washable air filter for my AEM intake. So when the one that is in the vehicle gets dirty I witch it out and wash it before putting it away. I may opt to put one on once I get the 4x4 conversion done.

Added note on river crossings - when in the Corp I was sent to a water proofing fording school. We had raised exhaust pipes as well, if you are crossing a deep water section as some have pictured and the engine dies for some reason. Water will fill your exhaust and more, also a full exhaust system might keep the engine from restarting.

Last edited:

BenjyP

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Shropshire. UK
Member #

Aside fron water crossings.
I've just upgraded my LR3 (with RAI) for an LR4 and deciding whether or not to go with a RAI this time round. I'm UK based so use it in Europe but want to go to Morocco. Should I install one before hitting the desert?

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Aside fron water crossings.
I've just upgraded my LR3 (with RAI) for an LR4 and deciding whether or not to go with a RAI this time round. I'm UK based so use it in Europe but want to go to Morocco. Should I install one before hitting the desert?
I think if you are in dusty conditions then it makes sense.

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I believe more people install them for the clean air then water crossings. Going slow in the dirt your fan will circulate all the dust the tires kick up under the vehicle and some will make it to the air filter. Will help make the air filter last longer.

So along this point:
I do not have a snorkel yet, but I do have an extra AEM washable air filter for my AEM intake. So when the one that is in the vehicle gets dirty I witch it out and wash it before putting it away. I may opt to put one on once I get the 4x4 conversion done.

Added note on river crossings - when in the Corp I was sent to a water proofing fording school. We had raised exhaust pipes as well, if you are crossing a deep water section as some have pictured and the engine dies for some reason. Water will fill your exhaust and more, also a full exhaust system might keep the engine from restarting.
Yeah, I agree with the ability for this system to work on an extreme water crossing, but I noticed it did give the truck a little more torque, Semper Fi

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Pros: cleaner colder air, water crossing capability, 3 extra gpm on my diesel, a couple of extra hp( my butt dyno says 3-5hp) its peppy taking off now. Cons: the only cons ive had is when getting groceries or gas everyone wants to talk to me about it and alot of people take pics

Attachments

French

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Irvine California
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Frechette
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Pros: cleaner colder air, water crossing capability, 3 extra gpm on my diesel, a couple of extra hp( my butt dyno says 3-5hp) its peppy taking off now. Cons: the only cons ive had is when getting groceries or gas everyone wants to talk to me about it and alot of people take pics
Nice Z71 looks great with the snorkel!

solgardener

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

North GA
First Name
William
Last Name
Brown
Member #

I want a snorkel with a built in cup holder spot. Just like an ARB bumper, the flat spots become prime real estate and one is always hanging about at the front of the truck.

The cup holder doesn't have to be a pocket, just a round, ribbed spot sized to the bottom of a cold beverage can.

I have snorkels on two vehicles. Other than the hole that gets cut, and all of the people asking "what's that thing stick outta yer hood?" ( to which I answer- "It's how you can tell its a boy!") there are no downsides.