Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all, we've been testing chat functionality on the forums. Should we keep it? There is a trade-off. Due to the real time nature of chat, there is a high server load. That means the forums will be slower with chat enabled. Let us know if you use it!

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I use the chat very rarely, so I could live without it.

Maybe you could have a stand alone chat room, rather than a live program eating forum resources for those who want it.

Reactions: Michael

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

To be honest didn't know there was live chat nor do I know how to get to it. I'm not much of a computer guy sorry so where do you find chat, I'm sure it will be obvious once someone points it out to me :laughing:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've never found chat to work with my slow typing. By the time I'm ready to hit "send" the conversation has moved on, and my post irrelevant or out of the flow. I know a lot of folks like it, and on a car forum I'm on, there are people who use the chat but never participate on the forum.

One thing about chat is that it is nearly impossible to moderate unless you have a slew of moderators with a few on at any time. I doubt that would be a problem here with our smaller active user-base, but might with a lot of growth. It is a huge problem on the youth-based WRX forum.

That said, if there are people who use it regularly, I don't want my "No" vote to take the option away.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've used it once or twice. One of those times was actually talking to you about the chat feature. I could do without it.

WJ - Firefly

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Casey County, Kentucky
First Name
David
Last Name
Goodyear
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KL7JKC
I have just never been a very 'chatty' person. I have had chat accounts in the past, but seldom used them. One of the more annoying capabilities of cell phones is text messaging (SMS introduced in MSAs in the mid 90s), which is one of the top reasons I gave up my cellphone earlier this year, even though I have had a portable phone (MTS and IMTS) attached to me since 1985. Since giving it up I have not missed it. In fact it is kinda nice having the electronic leash undone.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I pop in when I am at my computer with nothing to do, but there is rarely anything going on. I would use it if there was anyone to talk to, but if it will be this infrequently used then we might as well get rid of it.

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I rarely use it. I don't care either way. Servers can always be faster. :0)

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

That said, if there are people who use it regularly, I don't want my "No" vote to take the option away.
Bingo.

I agree and didn't vote.

I've never used it and probably never will. I have limited time quite often and just bounce in a few times a day to pick up a good idea, look at the pictures, froth, covet and see what you're up to............

Then I plot and scheme.

Whoops, gotta go........

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I think it is a great concept, but I don't use it. The few times I have tried to use it there has been no one active. I vote to remove it and clear up some server bandwidth.