Tires seem to smell of Rubber Burning... is it that or something else?

• HTML tutorial

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
For the past year and a half I've run BFGs Ko2s T265/70R17 on my 2016 5th gen 4Runner with 2" lifts. Everything was good until we started smelling a rubber burn smell coming from the rear wheels for the past several months. We just got the rig back from the Toyota dealer today where I had them check breaks/pads, rotate tires, and check the wiring harness that runs above the exhaust pipe..... tires good, breaks/pads little wearing at all, Wiring harness detached and slightly melted from touching the exhaust pipe....hmmm not good and being replaced.

The tech said the smell could be from the "beefier" tires are somehow rubbing on the wheel well...which made no sense to me since they are no bigger than the stock tires I replaced. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not a car guy.

Anyone have a similar issue that you can lend a suggestion on where to look (or Smell) for another reason for this? Thanks

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
You would see wear marks on the tires and the wheel wells if they were rubbing that much. Did you happen to check the spare tire to see if it was getting too much heat from the exhaust?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
You would see wear marks on the tires and the wheel wells if they were rubbing that much. Did you happen to check the spare tire to see if it was getting too much heat from the exhaust?
There seems to be no wear on the wheels the rear tire is away from the exhaust. I took the rig out on a trail yesterday and there was no smell when I got home so I'm thinking the broken wire harness that causes the wires to slip down.

Reactions: Cort