Tire suggestions?

• HTML tutorial

ASNOBODY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate II

Detroit, Michigan
Member #

I have/had both a set of KO2's and KM2's. I've been using the KO2's (285/70R17) as my daily driver for the last 12 months and have no complaints. They have about 11k miles of trails and 20k miles of regular road use on them. They have performed flawlessly in all conditions except deep mud and sand sometimes but have been especially good in the snow. I'm going to keep them for winter tires. I took off and sold the KM2's as they were louder than I wanted and didn't provide the grip I wanted in the rain. Great tires though.

That said, I just ordered 5 of the very very handsome General Grabber Red Letters in 35x12.50R17 to use this summer…wish me luck!!!

Reactions: 1derer and BobG

AaronP

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

Clemmons, NC
Member #

An underrated tire I ran was Mickey Thompson MTZs in 35's. If rotated properly and ran on correct tire pressure they were great. Replaced with Cooper Discoverer ATs. Not much reduction in off-road grab apart from slop. On-road very good manners. Most people over-inflate on-road and then complain about uneven wear. Proper inflation and a chalk test is always a good method for any tire you choose. Picking tires is like picking between blondes and brunettes. Its all about your preference and how/where you plan on riding them. :wink:
Thanks,
A

Reactions: BobG

300WMTUCK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roseville
Member #

Here's my 2 cents. Since 1996 I've ran BFG AT's or Mud's on Jeep, Toyota, GMC, Chevy and Dodge. I've run them on 1/2 to 1 ton trucks and on a couple Score Lite Racers. It is downright boring how consistently they have performed on road and off. I have run other tires but I always end up back with BFG's. I never worry about what I spend on BFG's because they have always performed.

Reactions: khorsa

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
I've got Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Jeep too. Love how quiet they are, great road manners. Just have to get off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Asking about tires is like asking about women. What works for you and makes you happy may not be a turn on for others. A loaded question. But hey, I have used Cooper At, ATR, and AT3 for over a decade, love them and blondes.

syck

Rank 0

Traveler I

Philadelphia, NY
Member #

I use Wrangler Duratracs on my daily driver/expedition explorer. On all my tacomas and tundra, previous to this jeep Ive run duratracs. When i bought the jeep the only off road tire i could find for the size i had was a 225/65R17 KO2. I personally didnt like em. they were loud on the pavement and a bit stiffer than the average tire. Once i found out a 245/70R17 would fit without rubbing I went and bought some duratracs again. Snow/Mud rated, I have the P rated 4 ply (LT rated is 10 ply and 40-50lbs per tire). Quiet on the road and in my opinion a better ride for off road/snow/trail conditions.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I have really been a fan of the Dick Cepek Extreme Country tires. For an MT they are not too loud just slightly more buzz then KOs they replaced. 2 Ply relatively low weight for less rotational mass. Really surprised how well mannered they are on the pave as well.

Reactions: BobG

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

I think it just comes down to preference. I've had Super Swampers on my daily driven 80 for both daily and off-road trips. Got less than 10k miles out of them!! I currently run 33" Duratracts for the street and 35" Bighorns for off-road/Overland trips. I dont mind (actually enjoy) the hum of MT's on the road. Two sets of tires seems to work good for me, kinda best of both worlds. But to be honest, I prefer MT's the best. Stopped caring about gas milage a long time ago as I built the rig up. But, if your looking at milage, wear, noise, weight, cost, then maybe AT's might be your best choice. There's really no right or wrong way and trial n error just might be the way to learn. Cheers!

Reactions: TnK1 and BobG

Traveler I

Raleigh, North Carolina
Member #

In agreement with @CalTexMex , think it comes down to personal choice and terrain you're covering. I'm running General Grabber AT2 for about 15K miles now, I've rotated them once at 10K and they still look new. Friend of mine got about 50K out of them with mild off-road use. Road noise is minimal and the ride is much smoother than the stock Bridgestone Dueler tires that lasted until 18K....very disapointing tire, won't every buy Bridgestone again for any car I own. I like the BFG KO2's and considered them as well, but I'm just not sure it is worth paying the premium, when you can great performance from other tires out there for half the price.

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Like others have said, personal choice and your application.

For me, its mud tires. I don't like looking at a section of trail and wondering if my A/T rubber is just going to become a mud doughnut and leave me stuck in a puddle.

I'm saving for a set of Procomp Xtreme MT2 tires in 33x12.5-15 right now. I don't mind some road noise (it makes your chest hair grow you know) and the 40,000 mile tread wear warranty is awesome.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Tires are always an interesting topic. I've spent a good portion of the past 25 years researching tires, cost, and happiness/cool factor, reputation, and did I mention cost? So, to the OP, here are my results using 50,000 miles as an average.

Cost: 1250 for a set of 5 BFG KOs. I kept them on, as I do all tires I purchase new for 50,000 miles. That works out to 2.5 cents per mile. However, I sold the previous set of four BFG tires ( 315s) for $500 that had 50,000 miles of wear on them, bringing the cost per mile down to 1.5 cents per mile.

Ten months ago after 60,000 miles I bought four new KOs and kept an older tire for a spare. Then I sold four of the KOs for another $500 and started the process all over again. This time however, the set of four cost $960 bringing the cost down to just over 1 cent per mile. Nonetheless, I've been using this monetary method to keep excellent tires beneath me for about 20 years. I do the same with my wife's daily driver. It seems to me that there are four major manufacturers to choose from that this equation will work. BFG, Goodyear, General and a bit late to the long miles game, Cooper. There are many more other brands on the market, however, discount prices generally means lower effective tread wear, weak sidewalls, and excellent performance only for the first 10,000 miles or so. At 40 or 50,000 miles they are junk that you are paying your tire guy to dispose of. On the other end of the spectrum are the really expensive designer tires that not many people care to afford. I'm sure I've dissed someones favorite tire, I certainly don't mean to do that, I'm just passing along my experience with the true cost of operating a given tire. Just over a penny a mile spent on the big tires we run is very cost effective. So, the next time some one remarks to you, " wow, those are expensive tires" just wink to yourself and let them think that.

I find myself doing this with a lot of things, including complete automobiles, computers, lawn mowers, furniture, appliances, etc etc. It drives my wife nuts. LOL

Reactions: 1derer

Traveler I

Raleigh, North Carolina
Member #

Tires are always an interesting topic. I've spent a good portion of the past 25 years researching tires, cost, and happiness/cool factor, reputation, and did I mention cost? So, to the OP, here are my results using 50,000 miles as an average.

Cost: 1250 for a set of 5 BFG KOs. I kept them on, as I do all tires I purchase new for 50,000 miles. That works out to 2.5 cents per mile. However, I sold the previous set of four BFG tires ( 315s) for $500 that had 50,000 miles of wear on them, bringing the cost per mile down to 1.5 cents per mile.

Ten months ago after 60,000 miles I bought four new KOs and kept an older tire for a spare. Then I sold four of the KOs for another $500 and started the process all over again. This time however, the set of four cost $960 bringing the cost down to just over 1 cent per mile. Nonetheless, I've been using this monetary method to keep excellent tires beneath me for about 20 years. I do the same with my wife's daily driver. It seems to me that there are four major manufacturers to choose from that this equation will work. BFG, Goodyear, General and a bit late to the long miles game, Cooper. There are many more other brands on the market, however, discount prices generally means lower effective tread wear, weak sidewalls, and excellent performance only for the first 10,000 miles or so. At 40 or 50,000 miles they are junk that you are paying your tire guy to dispose of. On the other end of the spectrum are the really expensive designer tires that not many people care to afford. I'm sure I've dissed someones favorite tire, I certainly don't mean to do that, I'm just passing along my experience with the true cost of operating a given tire. Just over a penny a mile spent on the big tires we run is very cost effective. So, the next time some one remarks to you, " wow, those are expensive tires" just wink to yourself and let them think that.

I find myself doing this with a lot of things, including complete automobiles, computers, lawn mowers, furniture, appliances, etc etc. It drives my wife nuts. LOL
Good call on the resell...I think a lot of people just forget about that and let the tire shop get rid of tires with 30%+ tread left.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: MOAK

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I have been running the General AT2 on the 04 GC Overland with much success. I cannot believe the offroad traction. They do well in the Florida Muck . I have about 10K on them and very little wear.

I run on the BFG KM2 and they are great offroad. On road they are terrible. In the rain they have no grip. They are decent on dry roads but have developed a vibration at 55 nd 70, They run small for a 35 and bottom line there are better options

Reactions: Affinity_Overland

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I recommend Toyo Back Country Mud Terrains. They are the same spec as the Cooper Discovery SST Pro. Great on the trails and not too much road noise while on Tarmac. The Coopers are actually made from the Toyo spec.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have been running the General AT2 on the 04 GC Overland with much success. I cannot believe the offroad traction. They do well in the Florida Muck . I have about 10K on them and very little wear.

I run on the BFG KM2 and they are great offroad. On road they are terrible. In the rain they have no grip. They are decent on dry roads but have developed a vibration at 55 nd 70, They run small for a 35 and bottom line there are better options
Not sure what a GC Overland is but I have learned from many drivers that BFG and General Motors vehicles do not mix well. I don't run KMs simply because of noise and MPG factors.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

Not sure what a GC Overland is but I have learned from many drivers that BFG and General Motors vehicles do not mix well. I don't run KMs simply because of noise and MPG factors.

04 Grand Cherokee Overland edition.