Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
To everyone that has had BFG A/T KO's and didn't like the performance in snow:

BFG, have engineered the new A/T KO2's to have significantly better siping to assist in improved traction in wet and snowy conditions. They claim to have the same or similar traction as dedicated snow tires. They've also significantly improved mud traction, sand traction and rock ejection.

For those of you that don't know what siping is:

"Siping is a process of cutting thin slits across a rubber surface to improve traction in wet or icy conditions. Siping was invented and patented in 1923 under the name of John F. Sipe. The story told on various websites is that, in the 1920s, Sipe worked in a slaughterhouse and grew tired of slipping on the wet floors."

Video on the improvements over the KO by BFG:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My Cooper Discoverer AT/3 have made it past 55,000 miles. They don't seem to balance very well (common complaint) but otherwise have been pretty darn good. My next set of tires will be the Cooper STT Pros. Also get excellent reviews with a stronger sidewall but not all of the weight of a mud terrain tire. 5 lbs more each than my current ones. So if I drop 20 lbs off of my waist I'm even money. :)

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

I took the word of a trusted redneck I know, and a set of Toyo open country AT2 should be ariving in a day or three.
I like my toyo open country at2 so far on my fj i was torn between them and bfg ko2s. Ended up with the toyos cause i couldnt find the size i wanted locally for the bfg.

Pippinized

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

I like my toyo open country at2 so far on my fj i was torn between them and bfg ko2s. Ended up with the toyos cause i couldnt find the size i wanted locally for the bfg.
I had started to check out different tires and do some research, but a screw found its way into my sidewall that popped my time table for research. I ordered the open countrys primarily because of $120-something a tire. Running around without a spare doesn't sit well in my gut.

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

My choice of Tire is the Cooper ST Maxx! Im still running the same set of Coopers that I used on my 2015 Arctic road trip through Alaska Yukon and Northwest Territories. They survived all the big dirt highways easily and I'll run them on our Continental divide trip in July

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: BobG

Rynus311

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Grand Junction, CO
Member #

I run Goodyear MT/R's on the Jeep. They work surprisingly well and have been wearing great. On my heavier vehicles I have had great luck with the Goodyear Duratrac. This year I strayed from the 7 sets or so of Duratracs to try the Nitto Ridge Grappler. So far so good... Only 10k on them so far though.... Too early to tell.

BobG

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Angier, NC, USA
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Gravelle
Member #

I run Goodyear MT/R's on the Jeep. They work surprisingly well and have been wearing great. On my heavier vehicles I have had great luck with the Goodyear Duratrac. This year I strayed from the 7 sets or so of Duratracs to try the Nitto Ridge Grappler. So far so good... Only 10k on them so far though.... Too early to tell.
Thanks, I think I'm going with the BFG KO2's. A buddy of mine has them and took me for a ride, they're surprisingly quiet for such an aggressive tread. He said that they handled well in the snow and on our local trails.

Reactions: Rynus311

JeepersForVets

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary, AB
First Name
Steve
Last Name
E
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6EVL
On my YJ I have the BFG KO tires (33x10.5). They always seem pretty good in the snow, but the YJ is so light I think that helps. On-street, they're relatively quiet and on the dirt they're fantastic.

On the Liberty, I have Cooper Discoverer XT/4s that replaced some blah Firestone "all season" tires. The Coopers are only 235's - the plan was to think about a small lift when I figured out overall weight, and then get new tires, but a brutal winter with heavy snow and nasty cold temperatures forced my hand when I had to head out of town for work several weeks ago. The 235s were available "that day", so that's what I went with. The price was excellent and I have to say they have been awesome in the snow and on the icy highways. The XT/4 has the M&S rating, but with the "snowflake" winter designation so I'm planning on running these year-round. I have heard these are only available in Canada ("developed for Canadian winters") but I assume there's an equivalent tire south of the border. The A/T3 versions seem to rate pretty highly in reviews for overlanding / adventure tires.
http://ca.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-X-T4.aspx

The best winter tires I've ever had where the Nokian Hakkapelitas, which were siped and studded. I had those on an old '88 Suburban and they made a huge difference on that old beast in the winter. (I also had them on my winter mountain bike. :) )

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s

Pros: Massive tread blocks, came from the factory with 19/32 of tread depth. Tough sidewalls, mine are load range Es too so.... 50,000 mile warranty. fifty....thousand...miles on an aggressive all terrain. They have side biters, which are useful if you need to air down. Mickey Thompson designed these tires to be a hybrid between mud terrains and all terrains, and they did it very well!

Cons: expensive! I have 285/70/17s (33x10-17) and they were $280 a tire. They also tend to flat spot if you let the truck sit for a week in one spot. They also start to hum at 30. (I dont see this as a con, ive got a loud truck without the tires though)

With all the BS said and done, I've had these tires for a year and a half now, I've got 40,000 miles on them and theyre no where close to bald. Had them on all terrain types from the muddy trails in Eastern Oklahoma (where the sidewalls proved how tough they were to sharp river rocks) to the rocks and sand in Southeast New Mexico. Ive even had them on iced over pavement. I would not and will not give them up for anything else.

Reactions: BobG and Rynus311

Anon

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

If you don't want quite an AT but somewhere on the line of MT, I run 33x12.5 Hankook Dynapro MT's on my daily driver. They have very little road noise in my 94 F150. Are awesome off-road. Not to good in snow though, but it is doable. Been driving with them on in the snow here in AK now for about 2 months. They were cheaper than buying the KO2's in the same size. They've gotten rave reviews and have had 2 buddy's who swear by them. They wear well, do great off-road, and will easily last thousands and thousands of miles [emoji1303] See pics for comparison
compared to the BFG AT KO's.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Hapkijo

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

I'm running BFG KOs and will most likely replace them with KO2s. I understand that the KO2 has improved sidewall protection. So far I have enjoyed them and only heard good things about them. They would be my pick.

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I've had Nitto Terra Grapplers on my F150 for years and loved them.
When I bought the Jeep I got a screaming deal on Toyo Open Country ATIIs and 20k later I really like these.
We had a pretty snowy winter up in Tahoe this year and they performed like a champ every time we went up. Even with a foot + of new snow on the ground...

Reactions: TnK1