Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mesquite, NV, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Tressel
Member #

Felt like there should be a master post for talking about Tire sizes and Lift kits we have on our rigs.

Currently My 78 has the stock ride height, and 235/85R16, I believe 31" tires.
I am doing research and gathering ideas for my first build project. Truck will be used as a trail rig, tow rig, and daily driver.
A 1965-1969 Dodge 1 ton Quad Cab 8' bed truck. Either a 2wd drive (D300) or 4wd (W300). If it is 2wd, I can swap front axles. Motor 400 4bbl. 40" tires on 17" 8 lug steel wheels.

So, what size tires do you use and are you using a lift?

20181114_212553.jpg

Last edited:

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

I am running 33's with a 2.5 inch lift. The reason for that -even though 35 seems to be the standard for JKU aftermarket tires- is that I wanted to just go up one size to avoid too much changed geometry in drive shafts, etc. and also in regards to the speedo recalibration. My current tire size seems to be one mile off at highway speeds from what the GPS shows. It was more important for me to have proper knobby tires that work in snow and other conditions - I ran the Cooper Discovery STT first and now some Dick Cepek MTs, both tires that I can recommend (even though they are heavy with load class E, which might be overdone for the Jeep).

Reactions: Buzzard13

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

Those old Dodge trucks are really neat vehicles!
My truck is still on the original stock springs, and I’m running 31 10.50 r15 tires. It had 235/75/r15 (29 inch) tires on it originally, so the speedometer is off by about 3 or 4 mph. The plan is for 33 10.50 r15 tires on a 2 or 3 inch lift, keeping it relatively low, and letting me use the original wheels and keeping my hubcaps.

Attachments