Contributor II

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Gaytán
Member #

Need some tire advice fellow Jeepers!

I'm on the lookout for robust tire options to replace my current set. I've been running on NITTO Ridge Grappler tires (35 X 12.50 R17) and they've been real champs both on and off the trail. But it's about that time to switch things up, and I'm curious to know: What tires do you swear by for your off-road adventures AND daily drives?

Any tire brands you recommend that can handle the rocky paths and still be whisper-quiet on the highway? I'm all ears for suggestions that can tackle the challenge! ⛰️

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
If you spend any time in the Mojave, make sure you have a good sidewall. Nittos do well, KO2's. I'm running Falcons right now and they seem to be holding up to my abuse very well.
Your tire should be based on how and where you drive. See what others in our area run and look to those.

Reactions: JeepingMike

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
2010-2018 - Tyres we used in South America on our X Trail T31 then Montero:

Dunlop Grandtrek AT3 - good tyre on the highway, OK offroad
Pirelli Scorpion AT - similar to the Dunlops
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - the best of these three - good on the highway, more capable offroad.

2017 - In 2017 we made a "big trip" through Africa and had BF Goodrich T/As on our vehicle there (LC80) - they were a little noisier on the highway, however better than all of the previous tyres offroad.

2019 - In 2019 we made a "big trip" around Australia and at that point had the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on the vehicle. When we needed to replace one we found that the nearest shop had BF Goodrich T/As and we asked them to put one on the vehicle, however they recommended a Toyo Open Country AT as being as good as the BFG at a lower price. We took their advice and when we subsequently replaced two more tyres put on two more Toyos, which we have on the vehicle now (in South America). The Toyos are excellent - quiet and capable on the highway, and good offroad. So, I'd recommend Toyos.

2022-2023 – In 2022 we acquired another vehicle – it was way too expensive to ship our Montero to North America so we bought a Wrangler JK LWB and took it 24,000 km around Western/Northwestern Canada. It came with Michelin LTXs and although we were initially concerned at their capability they proved remarkably capable on tarmac, gravel, and “offroad”. We did experience 2 punctures, which we fixed, however it should be noted that on this section of the Dempster we helped fix a lot of punctures on other vehicles (as many as 3 simultaneous punctures on one vehicle in one case!), so having only 2 was not bad. Later in the trip we replaced the tyre which had experienced 2 punctures with a new Bridgestone Dueler A/T and put the spare on the rear axle. The choice was partly owing to the fact that the spare tyre was a Dueler and the tyre workshop in Fort Nelson had one available. We ended up with 2 x Dueler A/Ts at the back and the Michelin LTXs at the front and as the spare. If we had needed to replace all of the tyres on the Wrangler we’d have gone for the Toyos. The tyres on the Montero are Toyos now, with one Geolandar left.

So – Toyos are our recommendation.

I've seen a lot of recommendations recently for Falken Wildpeaks, however have no experience to offer.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Not a Jeeper…But I just put Falken WildPeak AT3W’s on my 4Runner a few weeks ago. I previously had Nitto Ridge Grapplers, LT285/70R17 C. Both are pretty quiet when new, but I think the Falkens seem a bit smoother on the highway. My decision to change was based on the [allegedly] better handling on wet pavement due to more abundant siping, not any failing of the Nittos. I can’t yet report on the offroad capabilities of the Falkens, but I like them so far.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Swore by BFG KO2s on multiple vehicles for years, including my JK. Switched last year to Falken Wildpeak AT3W on the JK, not whisper quiet but quiet enough, and have met my daily driver plus off road demands, including wet and snow/ice. Rocky Pennsylvania forest roads, but no extreme rockcrawling for me. Only 18 months on now, wearing very well so far. (I like them enough, I just put AT4Ws on my Ram.)

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I went with a hybrid tire (Baja Legend EXP), so it has mud lugs outer tread and AT lug center tread.
They're reasonably quiet, louder than ko2s and much quieter than KM3s. The music on low volume is enough to drown them out. My wife hated my KM3s, but she's not bothered by the baja legends. I'm at 25k and plenty of tread. I offroad about once a week, usually camp, but sometimes a day trip.
They handle great on most terrain, except deep snow/slush. Depends on the snow, we get slick snow sometimes, due to the sun popping up a few days between snow storms. Iced roads are fine, rarely use 4hi.
Also they're not the best for hard-core rock crawling, as they are a load D tire.
I've driven on plenty of shale or granite roads, and no chunks missing, or at least very minimal and not noticeable.
20231126_163501.jpg

Reactions: JeepingMike

hey_poolboy

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peoria, IL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Maximus
Second vote for Nitto Trail Grappler. We moved to them last time and plan to stick with them. They've been great on rocks. I hate mud but they've performed well enough in it.

No sidewall issues so far. I rotate them regularly but they don't seem to need it as often as some others we've run. (Milestar Patagonia M/T)

Reactions: danwyandt

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Kenda Klever RT
Cooper RT
Cooper St Maxx

Kenda Klever mt2
Firestone mt2
Cooper Stt pro

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I went from BFG KO2's to Nitto 315/75-16 Trail Grappler. While the BFG was far better in the snow and quieter, there is no comparison in rough or muddy trails. I regularly air down to 16 psi, and have run them at 3 psi in deep mud. At 16 you can barely tell any sidewall bulge.
My rig weighs in at 6800-ish loaded.
Rotations are at about 5k miles. On my 3rd now and still measure 14/32 out of 20 on tread depth.

And if you're wondering about the 3 psi, I do run beadlocks.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Only problem with KO2s is it seems they're phasing in the KO3 and it's going to get harder to find them as they release more sizes. It's the only tire I ran for years but it was definitely a consideration for me recently because I'm not a fan of mismatched tires no matter how similar they are. Ended up trying out the new Duratrac RT instead.

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Always surprised why Firestone Destination XT remain a little under the radar. They are a newer compound and among the lightest LTs on the market. Mine have been abused in the Owyhee and PNW desert, dirt and rock and mountains. Great traction, no chips, quiet. I’ve got C load 255/75/17 on my current gen Ford Ranger. Other tires are more trendy.

Reactions: MidOH

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I run BFG KM2 and KM3's. I really like the tires. KM3s are a mixed bag (what I currently run). They are GREAT...in mud. In snow and rain? Not so much. Very durable however.

A better all around option is the KM2 All-Terrains.

Reactions: danwyandt

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Always surprised why Firestone Destination XT remain a little under the radar. They are a newer compound and among the lightest LTs on the market. Mine have been abused in the Owyhee and PNW desert, dirt and rock and mountains. Great traction, no chips, quiet. I’ve got C load 255/75/17 on my current gen Ford Ranger. Other tires are more trendy.

That's what I used on my previous work truck.

Good tires. But not armored. Much like the Duratracs.