Rank III

Enthusiast I

Metuchen, NJ, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Festa
Member #

I have a Viair 88P which I keep with me at all times. I also have an ARB twin portable (CKMTP12) which I take only when I know ahead of time that I'll be going off pavement. The Viair 88P works admirably when I need to air up once from a light off-pavement trip (i.e. airing up from ~30 psi to ~55 psi). The 88P is compact and tucks under my seat, but when the ambient temp is high, it overheats before I've inflated all four tires. To address this I'm considering one of two options for an always-with-me compressor.

1) Buy a second Viair 88P ($90) and keep **both** 88P's with me or

2) Replace my 88P with a single Viair 300P ($190). It's not as compact, but should inflate all four 33" tires without overheating.

Of course, I'll still take the toolbox sized ARB when I know ahead of time I'll be airing up/down repeatedly, but even with that I would want a small backup compressor like the 88P or 300P just-in-case. Recommendations? How do others deal with "opportunistic" off pavement adventures?

Reactions: ObiShawnKenobi

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Did the same for a long time with two Slime air compressors. They worked admirably.

Once I went on board it kept me from having to take more things.

I still have those Slime compressors in case I ever need them.
I have a Viair 88P which I keep with me at all times. I also have an ARB twin portable (CKMTP12) which I take only when I know ahead of time that I'll be going off pavement. The Viair 88P works admirably when I need to air up once from a light off-pavement trip (i.e. airing up from ~30 psi to ~55 psi). The 88P is compact and tucks under my seat, but when the ambient temp is high, it overheats before I've inflated all four tires. To address this I'm considering one of two options for an always-with-me compressor.

1) Buy a second Viair 88P ($90) and keep **both** 88P's with me or

2) Replace my 88P with a single Viair 300P ($190). It's not as compact, but should inflate all four 33" tires without overheating.

Of course, I'll still take the toolbox sized ARB when I know ahead of time I'll be airing up/down repeatedly, but even with that I would want a small backup compressor like the 88P or 300P just-in-case. Recommendations? How do others deal with "opportunistic" off pavement adventures?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've had a Viair 400 for around 10 years. Its mounted behind a panel in my Cruiser. Instead of buying another compressor, why cant you just bring your ARB?

Reactions: ObiShawnKenobi

kalinut

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Metuchen, NJ, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Festa
Member #

I've had a Viair 400 for around 10 years. Its mounted behind a panel in my Cruiser. Instead of buying another compressor, why cant you just bring your ARB?
The ARB compressor is too big to keep in the truck during daily driving. It's also a $900 investment that I'd rather not leave in the truck when it's not needed. The goal is to have something inexpensive but capable that fits in the space behind the back seat. Plus, I feel better having a backup compressor with me when I'm in a more remote location.

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

I love the speed and simplicity of my CO2 system. I build it out my self with tank and parts from Amazon, but installed the custom Power Tank mount on my driver's side rear roll bar of my JLU so that it takes up only typically unusable space in the rear of the rig. I weight the tank at the end of every trip to assess how much CO2 is left.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

Bama_Kiwi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

I love the speed and simplicity of my CO2 system. I build it out my self with tank and parts from Amazon, but installed the custom Power Tank mount on my driver's side rear roll bar of my JLU so that it takes up only typically unusable space in the rear of the rig. I weight the tank at the end of every trip to assess how much CO2 is left.
I've toyed with the idea of a DIY CO2 setup, as an off-the-shelf option isn't available in little ol' NZ. But, my Viair88P works just fine. First tire airs up from 18psi to 35psi in about 3 minutes, but the last tire takes about 8 minutes, and the little 88P gets damn hot by the end. But, it does the job.

If it ever craps out, I'll probably go with the ARB twin on-board.