Timbren Axleless Suspension

• HTML tutorial

B-R

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL, USA
Member #

I do not have it on an overland trailer but have it on a dual axle car trailer and absolutely love the quiet smooth ride it gives

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have the long arm 2500 lb that is the same as the 3500 lb but with a softer rubber cushion. Both control arms have bushing failure causing the axle to be out of camber and caster. The fix is costing about $550 and will replace the entire control arm. No more than 12,000 miles on the axles.

Off road they are great, we have put them through some very rough terrain in the Sierras and in the desert at high speed over washboard. Really a great ride and handling.
IMG_6772 3.JPGIMG_6773 2.JPG

Last edited:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I have the long arm 2500 lb that is the same as the 3500 lb but with a softer rubber cushion. The both control arms have bushing failure causing the axle to be out of camber and caster. The fix is costing about $550 and will replace the entire control arm. No more than 12,000 miles on the axles.

Off road they are great, we have put them through some very rough terrain in the Sierras and in the desert at high speed over washboard. Really a great ride and handling.
View attachment 166684View attachment 166685
Wow, that is not a good review. Have you talked to the company about what may have caused this?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Wow, that is not a good review. Have you talked to the company about what may have caused this?
Actually the product works extremely well when off road. No one knows why the failure happened and since it was not normal use the only thing to do is replace them and keep an eye on the new ones.

Reactions: Boort

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

I have the long arm 2500 lb that is the same as the 3500 lb but with a softer rubber cushion. Both control arms have bushing failure causing the axle to be out of camber and caster. The fix is costing about $550 and will replace the entire control arm. No more than 12,000 miles on the axles.

View attachment 166684View attachment 166685

I have an off-road trailer with timbren axeless. I have it about 2 ish years and have done mild off-roading. It is looking very bow legged now, so it seems I might have same problem. What part was the failure at and did you source part from Timbren?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have an off-road trailer with timbren axeless. I have it about 2 ish years and have done mild off-roading. It is looking very bow legged now, so it seems I might have same problem. What part was the failure at and did you source part from Timbren?

There is a bushing that is part of the control arm, The arrow in the picture is pointing to it. Contact Timbren on line and they will make sure you are getting the correct part. I purchased the parts through etrailer.com
1597340566833.png

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

One of the guys on my recent Utah Backcountry Discovery Route trip pulled a rented trailer on Timbren suspension behind his 2017 Tacoma, and it was great. The trailer did a great job of staying level and pulling smoothly. Of course, without the axle he cleared everything on the trail easily.

It was such a good experience for him that he's planning on buying one.

I got to watch it a bit, and was impressed with its performance.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
One of the guys on my recent Utah Backcountry Discovery Route trip pulled a rented trailer on Timbren suspension behind his 2017 Tacoma, and it was great. The trailer did a great job of staying level and pulling smoothly. Of course, without the axle he cleared everything on the trail easily.

It was such a good experience for him that he's planning on buying one.

I got to watch it a bit, and was impressed with its performance.
The performance is really great

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I bet the bushing failures are a case of them under sizing the pivot bushing to streamline production, or under estimating the requirements of said bushing. Honestly stuff like this happens a lot, engineers say this off the shelf part will work, then it doesnt in the real world. Anyway I can understand why that would happen, the way the suspension is built puts a lot of stress on that busing. That one bushing does the job that 4 bushings do in a leaf spring suspension. I would look into upgrading that pivot, like run a busing from a Chalmers walking beam torque rod, or look into going to a greasable brass bushing or hell even a flat roller bearing.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Has anyone run the Timbren Alxeless Suspension on an overland trailer. Do you like it? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4X Overland did a video on You- tube about them on his channel. Basically if you run them on trails,...aka.....'tracks', they will eventually fail. They are good on paved, or improved dirt roads, but are susceptible to failure when used in rough continuous conditions. I would watch what he had to say, and consider with a grain of salt, what type of conditions you plan to use a trailer in and what type of weight it will be, as heavier trailers put more stress on the suspension.

PS)......I mis- read the question, unless the Timbren is a torsion type axle, which would be what I was thinking of.

PS 2) Heres the video I was thinking about, that addresses rubber torsion type suspensions (4xOverland .
4x4 camper trailers, off-road caravans are NOT FOR ME | storyTIME

Last edited: