Enthusiast III

California, St. Mary's County, Maryland, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

Howdy, ya'll!

Joined OB about a year ago but have owned my ZR2 since 2020. I've since fallen in love with the notion of adventure travel, and experiencing the beauty outside from behind the wheel of this capable rig. But of course, like ALL aut enthusiasts, I have some...additions I'd like to make to perfect the ZR2 for my uses.
Just getting started, expecting the build to take a few years, but hoping the community enjoys me using this thread to log the evolution as it comes.

Here she is bone stock when I bought her in 2020. Follow-on posts to show the progress to date!
Timber-and-Clay_3.JPG
Timber-and-Clay_7.JPGHaspin-08.jpg

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

In 2021, first thing I did was replace the terrible halogen excuses for headlights with LEDs. Later that year, added some better recovery hooks to the from of the rig. Partially for looks...but they really did make hooking up shackles a lot easier than the recessed ones from the factory.
Morning Glory-1.jpg

Reactions: El-Dracho

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

Finally, my most recent mod is to add shock skids to the rear end. One of GM's major design flaws with this truck was to place the shocks so close to the center of the vehicle, away from the wheels, making them a much higher likelihood of impact than the differential in some cases. I went with the Rago Fabrication ones because they had the most coverage); took about an hour to install! Next up, an AEV Differential skid, and next year, the installation of a Prinsu roof rack!
20230319_201615750_iOS.jpg

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Nice truck, you may want to consider the Trifecta Tune. It makes the truck so much more drivable with improved throttle response and transmission shifting is greatly improved. I also prefer using the bed for sleeping. I have a Softopper over the Decked drawer system. My 6' bed gives a bit more sleeping room.
0920222B.jpg

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

Nice truck, you may want to consider the Trifecta Tune. It makes the truck so much more drivable with improved throttle response and transmission shifting is greatly improved. I also prefer using the bed for sleeping. I have a Softopper over the Decked drawer system. My 6' bed gives a bit more sleeping room.
View attachment 265070
See I considered the softopper too! But I wasn't sure how it would be keeping bugs out when sleeping. What's been your experience with sleeping in it? Any mesh mods you've made along the way?

Love the gold striping on your 'Rado, friend!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
See I considered the softopper too! But I wasn't sure how it would be keeping bugs out when sleeping. What's been your experience with sleeping in it? Any mesh mods you've made along the way?

No issues with bugs or water intrusion. Thought about adding some thin insulation, I don't know how it would effect how easy the top folds down now. The Best Top brand has mesh inserts for the sides and rear, both Best Top and Softopper are owned by the same company for the past 2-3 years.

I use a SlumberJack Roadhouse off the end of the bed, it has bug netting if I want to use it.

Here's a friends Colorado with the Slumberjack.
20190615_200700.jpg

Mr_Mnml_Engnr

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Trombley
Member #

No issues with bugs or water intrusion. Thought about adding some thin insulation, I don't know how it would effect how easy the top folds down now. The Best Top brand has mesh inserts for the sides and rear, both Best Top and Softopper are owned by the same company for the past 2-3 years.

I use a SlumberJack Roadhouse off the end of the bed, it has bug netting if I want to use it.

Here's a friends Colorado with the Slumberjack.
View attachment 265108
Thanks for the ideas, friend!!