thoughts on Land Rovers

• HTML tutorial

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lately been interested in Land Rovers and building up a new rig. From the little research I've done, the defender and disc 1 would be the best platforms. and with the price of disc 1's on the market i think this is what i would be leaning toward as my base.

However, Ive heard alot of talk about land rover reliability on trail. Mostly wondering thoughts from those who are experienced with them/own them.

Also, I'm aware all rigs/vehicles have their issues/downfalls. Maintenance is expected with any rig used often

Thanks!

Reactions: Graeman

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I have no issues with Land Rover reliability, it all comes down to maintenance and quality of parts.
As with any vehicle, stay on top of it and it'll serve you well.

I built my Defender 130 up from a rolling (just) parts vehicle. Loads missing and loads needed to be done to get it on the road AND reliable. Some 30,000 miles later and I'm just starting to service stuff for the second time (apart from the normal services every few thousand miles).
I get my parts from a guy who runs his own LR parts and accessories business and has been in the LR trade for over 30 years, so he knows his stuff and won't sell rubbish unless you specify a certain supplier and even then, he'll argue the toss with you. Buy cheap, buy twice. If it needs to keep fluids in (engine parts/gaskets, brakes, steering, axle seals etc... etc..., or has any wear surfaces (brakes, clutch, etc..., buy genuine, or good, long term manufacturer (Bearmarch for example), otherwise, for "inanimate" parts, pretty much any supplier on the market should be OK. Do not buy anything hydraulic from Br**part, I've seen too many wheel cylinders, master cylinders etc.. etc... fail, sometime right out the box, or within a few miles - for some reason, the quality control on far Eastern supply chain isn't brilliant.

I may be slightly biased, but go for Defender over Disco 1. Most Disco 1s will be rotting quite badly around the rear end by now, unless it's been in a really dry location for most of it's life. Having said that, Defenders can rot too. But, if you can get a good Defender, it will only gain value as the years go by and as you build it into a capable overland truck. There is something to be said for them as an investment, as long as you can dig deep to start with. I paid £5,000 for mine just over two years ago, and yes, I've put a lot into it (don't really want to think about that for too long !!!), but it's worth around £15,000 or more now as an overland truck, and I probably haven't spent any more than I would have building something else, that wouldn't be worth as much. You'll never loose money on a Defender, except the cost of the build and servicing.

There's more room in a 110 than a Disco, and load capacity is better too.

Reactions: Horse Soldier
Hi James,

Ive had my disco 1 for 12 years and love it. in that time it only let me down once, the auto box dropped all its oil! answer convert to a manual,
owning a landRover can be fun parts are cheapish but avoid bottom end of the market as it will only end in disappointment, a disco will always be cheaper than A defender But it will be a dam site cheaper to buy and to be honest a lot more comfortable. virtually all of the running gear underneath is interchangeable from disco to Def, the main difference is -10 inches or +10 inches on the rear prop shaft. As the disco is on I 100 inch chasse

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

From the research i did it said the defender was the most solid built followed by the Disco 1. After that they started leaning toward road comfort and less offroad based. Hence leaning toward the disco 1. I currently have a jdm delica van so I'm used to parts being a little harder to get but hoping switching to land rover will give me more options for build outs. Just wanted something for capable and hefty

I have no issues with Land Rover reliability, it all comes down to maintenance and quality of parts.

I built my Defender 130 up from a rolling (just) parts vehicle. Loads missing and loads needed to be done to get it on the road AND reliable. Some 30,000 miles later and I'm just starting to service stuff for the second time (apart from the normal services every few thousand miles).
I get my parts from a guy who runs his own LR parts and accessories business and has been in the LR trade for over 30 years, so he knows his stuff and won't sell rubbish unless you specify a certain supplier and even then, he'll argue the toss with you. Buy cheap, buy twice. If it needs to keep fluids in (engine parts/gaskets, brakes, steering, axle seals etc... etc..., or has any wear surfaces (brakes, clutch, etc..., buy genuine, or good, long term manufacturer (Bearmarch for example), otherwise, for "inanimate" parts, pretty much any supplier on the market should be OK. Do not buy anything hydraulic from Br**part, I've seen too many wheel cylinders, master cylinders etc.. etc... fail, sometime right out the box, or within a few miles - for some reason, the quality control on far Eastern supply chain isn't brilliant.

I may be slightly biased, but go for Defender over Disco 1. Most Disco 1s will be rotting quite badly around the rear end by now, unless it's been in a really dry location for most of it's life. Having said that, Defenders can rot too. But, if you can get a good Defender, it will only gain value as the years go by and as you build it into a capable overland truck. There is something to be said for them as an investment, as long as you can dig deep to start with. I paid £5,000 for mine just over two years ago, and yes, I've put a lot into it (don't really want to think about that for too long !!!), but it's worth around £15,000 or more now as an overland truck, and I probably haven't spent any more than I would have building something else, that wouldn't be worth as much. You'll never loose money on a Defender, except the cost of the build and servicing.

James,
Nick is right in all his points the backend on the discoveries are renounced for rotting but if you should get a good one you will pay a lot less than a defender and as Nik has said avoid Sh**part at all costs as they build quality is dire. but the discovery will always beat the defender for comfort

James,
Nick is right in all his points the backend on the discoveries are renounced for rotting but if you should get a good one you will pay a lot less than a defender and as Nick has said avoid Sh**part at all costs as they build quality is dire. but the discovery will always beat the defender for comfort

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

James,
Nick is right in all his points the backend on the discoveries are renounced for rotting but if you should get a good one you will pay a lot less than a defender and as Nik has said avoid Sh**part at all costs as they build quality is dire. but the discovery will always beat the defender for comfort
Agreed, disco is more comfortable.
Lost track of how many boot floors and rear chassis legs I've replaced for Disco 1 and 2 owners. But the same for Defender rear cross members.
Yup, those blue boxes can be a whole load of problems. But, to be fair, a lot of their gear is OK and reasonably priced. Just don't expect them to keep fluids in for long.

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

So out of the discovery series which would you say is the best platform to build from? I had assumed the 1 but i really wouldnt know otherwise

The Series 1 with a 300TDI is pretty much the best choice as this is still one of the most common engines however I very basic series 2 TD5 Will also be a good choice but go for rear coil sprung vehicles, I see you are in the USA maybe A series 1 V8 is an option but you need to ensure that the engine is clean and running well as they can wear out quite quickly if neglected, try to avoid early series 2 V8s as in the UK of these were renowned for piston cylinder slippage and overheating.
as Nick has said the disco can be very comfortable however they do rot like there is no tomorrow if not looked after properly, do your home work and if in doubt walk away.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

200 or 300 tdi - both are good solid, strong engines, will take some abuse and will burn anything that resembles diesel :tearsofjoy: 300 is a bit more refined, robust and efficient, but 200 is a solid plodder.
Personally, for overland use, I'd stay away from TD5, unless you can carry and use diagnostics, as well as a few electronic spares.

We've have often discussed what LR would you build for long term overlanding. Must be reliable, simple, bullet proof and easy to get parts for, for that reason, stay away from early LR electronics, given their origins by the Prince of Darkness. Anything with an ECU just makes field diagnostics and repair more difficult, not impossible, just more complex. The most common answer to the question ......... 200 or 300 tdi, R380 gearbox, LT230 transfer box, and if you can either afford it, or find it, Salisbury axles front and rear. Doesn't really matter what body is around them. Don't go daft with big lifts, or hybrid suspension kits - you'll just end up waiting for longer for the more expensive parts, just when you need them.

Stick with stock, or near stock. One of the theories behind my 130 build is that whatever goes on it can be replaced with a stock item off the shelf, or it can be returned to stock easily, so no major mods.

Back to ECUs, why, oh why, LR, did you put the TD5 ECU in the drivers seat box (Defender) or foot well (Disco 2), not a good place for a vehicle that could be wading deep- oh yea, so you can charge a fortune for the wiring harness extension .....

The V8 (origin in Buick as you probably know) can be a strong engine and a real lazy cruiser, can have good low rev torque, but unless waterproofed properly, will cough at every puddle, let alone river crossing. Built right, they make a good choice - probably why so many competition builders use them.

Reactions: Jimmy Schantz

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Here in the US, you will have a very difficult time even finding a Defender, much less an affordable one. Your best bet would be a Discovery and if possible purchase it from the southwest to avoid any rust damage that the snowy states have done to the bodywork. Most all of the Disco's will be soccer mom mall shopping vehicles that have never been off road and with maintenance being your main concern look for 1 owner vehicles.

BWR1975

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I have an LR3 and a RRC. Both of which have their benefits and downfalls. I will say, that the RRC gets the most looks, compliments, and nods. Jeep guys are amazed by her articulation. And she's pretty reasonable to work on and maintain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Graeman

ndamico

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
D'Amico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TBF
Are you in the US or elsewhere?

If you're in the US then be prepared to pay a pretty penny for a Defender. I have to Range Rover Classics which I would say are much more similar to a Defender than a disco. You need to ask yourself what you actually want. Do you want something that is moderately comfortable to drive to the trail or do you not care at all? Will you be carrying kids or other passengers with you or do you just care about the load space?

Most of the trips we do are pretty long. Driving a Defender hundreds and hundreds of miles full of kids is not my idea of a pleasant journey to the trail. Yes you can make a Defender quiet and comfortable but it all depends on your budget.

Disco's are dirt cheap right now and at least here in California it's not too hard to find a rust-free one. Classics that started going up in price over the last couple years.

There are many differences between the three and it really just comes down to personal preference and what you are looking to do with it. Running gear is more or less the same on all three. You're talking gas engines here in the US they are very similar as well as the transmission and transfer cases. Those classic owners will ditch the viscous BorgWarner in favor of the stronger lt230.

As I said I'm not sure where you are geographically located. That will obviously come into play quite a bit.

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

HellsAngler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Im in the bay area. I really think the disco is what I would want for size and comfort. Just using the defender as comparison really.

and yes their price right now is what has me interested in a build

ndamico

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
D'Amico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TBF
Im in the bay area. I really think the disco is what I would want for size and comfort. Just using the defender as comparison really.

and yes their price right now is what has me interested in a build
You should check out our Whatsapp Rover group. We post lots of good finds if you are looking to score a good deal. We are in sac/bay area

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: HellsAngler

Bodge Garage

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Millwood WA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Sss
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7YI
Service Branch
Firefighter/EMT
As far as NAS spec trucks are concerned a DI will be a better value in my opinion. Disco's rust in the cargo area and defenders rust in the bulkhead. The Discovery is a great size for 2 people to overland. The 90 can get a bit crammed and the 'rare' 110 can be a lot to haul down the road if you don't need the backseat. If you are not in the NBA you can sleep in the back of a Disco with the rear seats removed. It is a huge cargo area with the seats out. The Discovery and Defender share most if not all important parts underneath, and what is not the same is a bolt on swap if desired, vented front brakes for example. What you get for the extra $30-$40K+ is a different body, lower highrange gearing, less space, higher insurance premiums and a ton of cool factor. Another thing that bothers me is with the skyrocketing price of Defenders they are a target. Fully kitted out you could have a $90,000 truck that you may not feel good about leaving along in the woods or your driveway for that matter. Just my thoughts on the comparisons of the two. A Land Rover of any sort is a good truck if you know what you are getting into. Carry a few key spares and know you rig. In my tablet I use for navigation I have the entire factory service and ETM manuals for reference.
In the end the most important thing is to get outside!
Kris

ndamico

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
D'Amico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TBF
In my tablet I use for navigation I have the entire factory service and ETM manuals for reference.
In the end the most important thing is to get outside!
Kris
i do the exact same thing. Rave manuals are a must-have.