Thoughts for the next build... (Family Build)

• HTML tutorial

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Happy Labor Day weekend to All! :)

So if the past few years adventures have taught me anything, its that we really need to consider a larger family sized rig. So I'm tossing around the following questions, in hopes that the OLB community might have a little more experienced input, that might help me decide on what rig would be best for our future larger family sized rig. Please feel free to attach a pic or two of your family sized rig! :)

1) What will my rig be used for primarily? Daily driver, weekend camping, week long camping, trails and moderate rock crawling.

2) What is your current rig build? 2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4x, with roof rack and OZTent. Dogs have to get boarded on longer trips to make space for extra gear.

3) How big of a rig do I really need? Something that will comfortably accommodate 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs (safely), with some breathing room for longer trips. Plus room for all gear, and an RTT on top.

4) What types of family sized rigs have you considered or have in mind? Tundra crew cab or similar sized pickup with shell, roof rack and RTT. Excursion Diesel with roof rack and RTT or even a Sportsmobile van conversion with roof rack if I found a reasonable deal. Have also tossed around the idea of an offroad trailer, but still not sold on the concept.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I had great luck with my first gen sequoia small lift and 33s , still get 17 mpg on the freeway and super quiet inside . and when needed the 3rd row seats actually had enough room for a adult but only used them 3 times thankfully they pop out real easy
00505_fopOZVmVAqQ_600x450.jpg

skip371

Rank 0

Contributor I

Your post is timely- I have an fj and after extensive travels this summer decided we need something larger.
Pretty much have settled on a first gen tundra double cab , shell. Maybe RTT?

Reactions: Obi-Juan

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
We
Your post is timely- I have an fj and after extensive travels this summer decided we need something larger.
Pretty much have settled on a first gen tundra double cab , shell. Maybe RTT?
We use to run a Tundra Crew Cab which was absolutely amazing! At the time I thought it was overkill, but now that we realized that we need a larger rig, I’m really missing all it had to offer.

Reactions: skip371

Dan B

Rank 0

Traveler I

ATLANTA,GA
Member #

Good Morning, I lost my mind last week and jumped on a 2019 Tundra TRD Pro! My thoughts were that it will provide me a lot of flexibility in the future if I want to tow a trailer ( Blackseries HQ19). For now I plan to get an AT habitat and some goose gear etc plus add the basic gear ( compressor,extra batts, tuffer bumpers etc)....If all that fails the resale is pretty high.
Have a great week Dan

Attachments

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I would imagine a Tundra, or perhaps even a Tacoma, would do you well. Obviously, you are trading space vs capability between those two.

But yeah, a quality campershell in the back would allow you to keep the back window open for the dogs to share the air, and obviously you'll still have plenty of room in the bed for gear.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
I would imagine a Tundra, or perhaps even a Tacoma, would do you well. Obviously, you are trading space vs capability between those two.

But yeah, a quality campershell in the back would allow you to keep the back window open for the dogs to share the air, and obviously you'll still have plenty of room in the bed for gear.
How you gonna fit 4 people and two dogs in a Taco? LOL The beds are fairly small, and I imagine people would recommend the 5 foot bad. Two good sized dogs would take all that room, there wouldn't be much room left for gear.

I think a Tahoe/Suburban or a first gen Sequoia would be a good choice. Sub will have room for the family, the dogs, the gear, and the kitchen sink. May be a bit tight on trails though, and by no means a technical tock crawler, if that's your thing.

Tahoe and Sequoia are kind of a tossup as far as interior room I think, though the Sequoia may be the better of the two offroad. Tahoe has a better engine though, IMO.

I'm thinking of the 00-06-ish GM trucks, btw. Not sure what your budget is, but it's that generation (GMT-800) that seems to get built the most.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

How you gonna fit 4 people and two dogs in a Taco? LOL The beds are fairly small, and I imagine people would recommend the 5 foot bad. Two good sized dogs would take all that room, there wouldn't be much room left for gear.
My two largish dogs (60 and 80lbs) have probably done 10,000 miles in the back of our 4runners, and had a blast doing it. A 5ft bed has almost double the space of a 4runner's cargo area. I could probably fit a month of supplies in that extra space and still have enough room for the dogs.

.30 Al

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I have to say a full size truck provides a lot of room. My F-150 Super Crew w/ 5.5' bed accommodates 2 adults and 3 kids with all our gear and kayaks. Imagine the Tundra would perform just as great. The Leitner Designs ACS created a lot of options for loading up all the gear.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I would not do a Tacoma. We had a tacoma with 2 dogs, and it was already feeling very very tight. Then we had a baby. And got a ton of fun new gear.
I can't imagine even a double cab long bed tacoma like we had working WELL and COMFORTABLY for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs.

I'd go crew cab Tundra. I've been saying this for a while, I love my 4Runner, and it works well for us, but if I could go back and do it again, I would get a newer crew cab Tundra with a rear locker, decked drawer system, and a short bedrack with a RTT. I've always enjoyed having a truck, and as nice as the interior space of the 4runner is, I miss the bed space of a truck. If you know you enjoyed a truck in the past, why not just go back to what you know works, rather than trying something else out?

For the excursions, I'll echo what others have said. Only buy a 7.3L diesel. The v10 gas engine in the excursion is a GAS GUZZLER (think like 6-10mpg at best), and I don't believe the 5.4L triton is one that really lasts super long. Even if it did, its honestly an underpowered engine for the superduty models. Those trucks are big and heavy. You can do a 6.0, but its got more complicated EGR systems that can be problematic, and unless the engine has been bulletproofed (google it) you're looking at expensive repairs down the road.

FWIW, I would pass on the superduty chassis altogether. I had a F250 with a 7.3 for several years, great truck, and pulled just about anything, but it felt like overkill and an extra expense that was unnecessary for everything I did. The crazy thing is, even though its 4WD, they are not NEAR as capable as a lighter vehicle like a tacoma or 4runner. The weight kills those chassis in terms of daily drivability, and offroad capability. Unless you're towing heavy weight, there's no reason to go up to a chassis and body that is that heavy and strong. They shine when towing and working, and if you're not doing that, you're spending money on diesel unnecessarily. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE diesels, and I wish we had the smaller vehicle diesel options that Europe has. But this is not that.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
I would not do a Tacoma. We had a tacoma with 2 dogs, and it was already feeling very very tight. Then we had a baby. And got a ton of fun new gear.
I can't imagine even a double cab long bed tacoma like we had working WELL and COMFORTABLY for 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs.

I'd go crew cab Tundra. I've been saying this for a while, I love my 4Runner, and it works well for us, but if I could go back and do it again, I would get a newer crew cab Tundra with a rear locker, decked drawer system, and a short bedrack with a RTT. I've always enjoyed having a truck, and as nice as the interior space of the 4runner is, I miss the bed space of a truck. If you know you enjoyed a truck in the past, why not just go back to what you know works, rather than trying something else out?

For the excursions, I'll echo what others have said. Only buy a 7.3L diesel. The v10 gas engine in the excursion is a GAS GUZZLER (think like 6-10mpg at best), and I don't believe the 5.4L triton is one that really lasts super long. Even if it did, its honestly an underpowered engine for the superduty models. Those trucks are big and heavy. You can do a 6.0, but its got more complicated EGR systems that can be problematic, and unless the engine has been bulletproofed (google it) you're looking at expensive repairs down the road.

FWIW, I would pass on the superduty chassis altogether. I had a F250 with a 7.3 for several years, great truck, and pulled just about anything, but it felt like overkill and an extra expense that was unnecessary for everything I did. The crazy thing is, even though its 4WD, they are not NEAR as capable as a lighter vehicle like a tacoma or 4runner. The weight kills those chassis in terms of daily drivability, and offroad capability. Unless you're towing heavy weight, there's no reason to go up to a chassis and body that is that heavy and strong. They shine when towing and working, and if you're not doing that, you're spending money on diesel unnecessarily. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE diesels, and I wish we had the smaller vehicle diesel options that Europe has. But this is not that.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience Ben. Yeah, I must admit, I do have a little bit of sellers remorse for letting my 2012 Tundra CrewMax go a few years back. At the time selling it seemed like the most practical decision for us and what our family rig needs were at the time, but as usual needs change. Before the Tundra I drove a 2002 4Runner for over a decade (love it!), and swore I would never drive anything else. That was until someone totaled it while it was parked next to a busy street in Glendale, CA. My current Xterra Pro-4x rig started out with the idea of building a more compact offroad trail/overlander, that would also be practical as a daily driver 5 days a week for a short drive to work. For the past few years it has been a blast, but like I stated in my original post, are current needs are forcing us to start considering the purchase of a full size again. We are in no hurry, just would like to find a new rig that suits our needs a little better. Thanks again!

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Ah, well if you have owned a Tundra before and liked it, then you probably do have a better idea of use expectations than I thought :) .

I only suggested the Tacoma not because it would be the most comfortable option, but because it would certainly be the most offroad-capable option. You mentioned in your post the potential for some relatively aggressive offroad uses. I also have a 2002 4runner in addition to my wife's 2016 TRDP, and while I am mot a hardcore wheeler, I am fairly confident a full-sized rig would have a relatively hard time making it through some of my regular trails without some body scars.

18_PowerWagon

Rank 0

Traveler I

Have you looked at the Ram Power Wagon? It is a full size crew cab with a 6.4 gas engine. Stock with 12,000 lbs warn winch,lockers front and rear with a 2 in lift and 33 in tires. Electronic sway bar disconnect. Not to mention a optional lifetime warranty from the factory. I just bought an new one and couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Ah, well if you have owned a Tundra before and liked it, then you probably do have a better idea of use expectations than I thought :) .

I only suggested the Tacoma not because it would be the most comfortable option, but because it would certainly be the most offroad-capable option. You mentioned in your post the potential for some relatively aggressive offroad uses. I also have a 2002 4runner in addition to my wife's 2016 TRDP, and while I am mot a hardcore wheeler, I am fairly confident a full-sized rig would have a relatively hard time making it through some of my regular trails without some body scars.
Yah, before going with our current setup, I strongly considered a Tacoma w/shell, roof rack including RTT setup. Now thinking back on it, if I would have went the Taco route, maybe I wouldn't be even considering a full size again now... who knows.... And I agree with you regarding full size and body scars/rash damage, which can pose a problem on some trails. I guess I'm hoping that the added comfort and available cargo space will somehow make up for its faults for being a larger platform. Oh, and I guess I should have mentioned that my Tundra (although very capable) was extremely babied and by no means built with the intention of extended trail use (ie.. overlanding). But man was she pretty! LOL :)

IMG_1493.JPG

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo

I think a Tahoe/Suburban or a first gen Sequoia would be a good choice. Sub will have room for the family, the dogs, the gear, and the kitchen sink. May be a bit tight on trails though, and by no means a technical tock crawler, if that's your thing.

Tahoe and Sequoia are kind of a tossup as far as interior room I think, though the Sequoia may be the better of the two offroad. Tahoe has a better engine though, IMO.

I'm thinking of the 00-06-ish GM trucks, btw. Not sure what your budget is, but it's that generation (GMT-800) that seems to get built the most.

I will second StuntmanMike's perspective.

Unless your dogs are Chihuahuas, you need more truck than a Tundra.

My solution to this dilemma is two rigs. I have the Cherokee ('96 XJ) for the fun trails (and The Bride doesn't do those trips) and then I have the Suburban ('02 8.1L) for the whole family and forest service type roads. Both vehicles are daily drivers. Having both cuts down on the number of compromises.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
I will second StuntmanMike's perspective.

Unless your dogs are Chihuahuas, you need more truck than a Tundra.

My solution to this dilemma is two rigs. I have the Cherokee ('96 XJ) for the fun trails (and The Bride doesn't do those trips) and then I have the Suburban ('02 8.1L) for the whole family and forest service type roads. Both vehicles are daily drivers. Having both cuts down on the number of compromises.
I think you meant to say "Tacoma", and not "Tundra"... Tundra's are huge. Yeah, I have actually consider the two rec vehicle option as well. Honestly, there are so many ways to go with making a family rig solution... I'm just looking for the one the that works best for us. Hopefully we'll be inspired by someone elses setup... hopefully

Reactions: StuntmanMike

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
You're right, but"huge"?

Imma gonna hafta suggest that is a matter of perspective.

This is my large truck:

Park a Tundra next to it and tell me again how the Tundra is huge. :wink:

Huge would be a 5500 series truck.

In all sincerity, once you put people in seats and then add dogs to the bed, you have to start to wonder where you are going to put your gear. Unless you can fit everything up on the roof you are going to need a pretty substantial footprint in order to find the cubic feet of volume needed to haul everything. That quad cab Tundra is probably pretty close to the mark.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
You're right, but"huge"?

Imma gonna hafta suggest that is a matter of perspective.

This is my large truck:

Park a Tundra next to it and tell me again how the Tundra is huge. :wink:

Huge would be a 5500 series truck.

In all sincerity, once you put people in seats and then add dogs to the bed, you have to start to wonder where you are going to put your gear. Unless you can fit everything up on the roof you are going to need a pretty substantial footprint in order to find the cubic feet of volume needed to haul everything. That quad cab Tundra is probably pretty close to the mark.
Yep, that is a huge truck you got there. I am only referring to the 2012 Tundra CrewMax version and up, since that is the only one I have had any personal experience with. It was no dualie, but it the added comforts of having 4 Doors and the amazing large backseats (that actually reclined), made it extra comfortable for rear passengers on long trips. I agree with you on the roof rack... which is why I am considering a custom shell with RTT and a roof rack over the cab. That way everyone is comfortable and most of the gear (not all) will will go on the roof.

The.Rocklander.Project

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Whatcom County, Washington, United States
First Name
Billy
Last Name
Slavens
Member #

Had a 2013 JKU then a 2016JKU and when i got re-married realized you couldn't camp a family of 5 out of them very well. Paid 12k got a 08 Z71 Suburban and really other than taking on too much water crossing the Mojave River it's been pretty great!

Pro's : Has lots of room. Can sleep all 5 inside in bad weather ( Owl Canyon below 30 and windy ) the 5.3 Vortec gets you where you need to go and the MPG is decent for the size

Con's : Does not do well with water crossings or tight trails

Attachments