This rig needs an OverlandBound Emblem....

• HTML tutorial

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

I'm sure we all love checking out other Overland built rigs to see what is being done for mods, and what we might be able to best implement on our own rigs... but step back in time and see how our "new tech" compares to some old school overland mods.

I've got a full blog post up on my site here for those interested in reading more and seeing more of the photos too.

Otherwise, enjoy a few photos:

Scruffy the Nash 450 Overland Rig by e j, on Flickr

Check out those "rotopax-style" containers on the front bumper.. and who needs a roof top tent. This fellow just brings the entire bed - the bed rails and the mattress on the roof!

Break a wheel while "off road"? No worries, pull out the pocket knife and just whittle up a replacement!

People always like to make fun of the "lights before lockers" thing... but you know what, some good ditch lights (well, these ones need some repairs it seems) can have you spotting trouble ahead to keep you from being stuck in the first place.

I love having a tailgate table on the VagabondExpedition Jeep... and you can see where the inspiration for these tables comes from. If it was good enough for an Overlander in the 1930's it's good for today's use too!

This beauty sits parked in an indoor museum in Calgary Alberta. If you're ever roaming through the area - the Historical Village (and museum) is a must see location - if you're into history that is. This Nash Overlander is a great reminder of keeping things functional - out of necessity for the most part so the story goes in this case.

Again, more on the blog - link below:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Absolutely Awesome!!!

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB
Can anyone say Grapes of Wrath? Strait out of my family's history. Overlanding by necessity. Lol

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That's a handsome ol' rig. Love the little red wagon on the back on top of the chuckbox.

Wasn't as old as this car, but I remember riding in the car my old man had, out from El Paso to somewhere, going through miles and miles of desert. We had one of those canvas water bags hanging from the front. He'd soak the bag, pull out the cork, then fill it up and proudly hang it off the front like they used to in the 30's. People still used them regularly in the desert in the early 60's when we were there, but we didn't really need it.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

The water bag is great! I’m too young to remember it, but on some of my early camping trips my dad had a water bag hanging on the bumper!

I don’t know, but I think too many of us today think we are coming up with great stuff for overlanding. More often than not, a lot of it has been done before! My father and grandfather are probably laughing at me from beyond seeing what I have done and want to do!

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk