Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

Looks very cool the questioni have iscan the app handle large area down loads. I would be willing to pay for a reliable app that. Can handle a whole state. The old lowrance dedicated gps you could state wide coverage At a decent zoom level. I have not been able to find anything that offers the entire state let alone the western states on a single map with zoom capabilities to level. 15. That’s the game changer for me and I would pay for it if it worked seamless ly. Even better if it could projected on to my Uconnect in the jl

midwesttrekker

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

O'Fallon, MO, USA
First Name
Galen
Last Name
Sinkey
Member #

My thoughts, take them with a grain of salt...

Looks like it will need a lot of data bandwidth and processor. Which isn't necessarily a problem.

Based on the preview the video, a lot of functionality is still going to require a data connection to your mobile provider (Verizon, AT&T, etc), which isn't possible a lot of places. So, still going to need a SatCom device like Garmin Inreach and probably a Ham radio as well. Depending on how much is downloadable for offline use, it could be a good competitor to GAIA and dedicated GPS devices. The 3D and AR (augmented reality) doesn't really do much for me though when I'm bouncing down a very remote 2-track. To replace GAIA and a dedicated GPS, definitely focus development efforts on the basics -- map display, GPX track recording, route navigation, and routing itself.

Wanderer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Carlsb CA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Jeffery
Member #

All I really want is a 8 or 10 inch screen with the entire USA or at least zones. (Time zone areas) preloaded on decent 7.5 minute quads with the ability to zoom in. Maybe a couple of different map origins say usgs and forest service. The ability to track yourselves ona map. Save the trail. And drop way points for navigating to get there. Is that really too much to ask for.
I don’t want to share everyone’s trails, photos, dinners, etc. just maps. Simple easy accurate. NUff said

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Such pulling emotions. Sure tech is wonderful and without a doubt it opens opportunities, it expands accessability.... I'm not sure about the advantage there tho. Overlanding is about challenging abilities, this ap makes it more like a cruise ship. I am fascinated by what our tech today can do, but it seems like I can do it from the couch.

Overlanding to me is exploring. A guided trip misses the point. Looking for what the other guy saw rounding a turn... and missing the iguana crossing the road is retarded. Sorrynbut this ap is very depressing.

I overland to go there and discover alone.

Reactions: Road

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

following, this looks like a game changer.
yes it might be

how depressing

soon you can "overland" easier than twitter,.... until it snows or ....... depressing but driven by the market.

oh well, looks like a crash and burn.. yea hah !!

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
yes it might be

how depressing

soon you can "overland" easier than twitter,.... until it snows or ....... depressing but driven by the market.

oh well, looks like a crash and burn.. yea hah !!
These comments are depressing. You're not required to use it. Not your cup of tea, your welcome to navigate by the stars. Nothing wrong with being a purist. Just like nothing wrong with enjoying some new tech. You do you brother.

Aricjm15

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL, USA
First Name
Aric
Last Name
Miller
Member #

For someone starting out an app like this would be amazing. Finding area's where I can go and not get arrested for trespassing is amazing. Being able to share something I find with others, amazing. Having something that can tell me "going this way probably isn't the best because its a 40 foot cliff and you will die" seems pretty useful.