Thinking about buying this rig. Any advice?

• HTML tutorial

Rando489

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ridley Park, PA
Member #

It's a '99 with the 4.0 6 cyl. 120k. Just rebuilt after an accident. Seller is a buddy of mine and wants 6,000. I know the XJ has solid engine. Think it would be worth the buy? Would be my daily and overland vehicle.

Reactions: Mike G

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

That's a slick setup. $6,000 is a bit steep, but I know he's trying to recoup some money for the upgrades. I would be more comfortable with $4000 to $4500 especially since you are working with a rebuilt engine of unknown reliability. But that's just my 2 cents worth. If you know more about the history and the quality of the rebuild, then maybe go as high as 5k.
Otherwise, that's a great turn-key setup!

Reactions: Rando489

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

$6K for a rebuilt XJ is very steep in my opinion. I had one and found that some will run forever on neglect and spite, others are absolute lemons. Chrysler's inconsistency means you are rolling the dice.

They are not the most rigid chassis either, mine flexed like a soft cheese on a warm day. I even wore the paint off the body where it flexed and hit the doors. Lots of XJ guys end up welding steel to the unibody to give it more strength.

BuddyLe3

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cannelton, Indiana
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Gilmore
Member #

6k is a bit steep. In that condition I wouldn't go past 4-4k. I had a 2 door until I got my 3rd gen 4runner and it was a sweet rig. It handled everything I threw at it. Things I would look for area rust, main seal leaks in the 4.0, oil filter adapter o-ring leakage and valve cover gaskets. You have your normal sh×× like sagging doors, rear hatch pistons not holding up...typical older truck stuff, but those were the ones that gave me the biggest hassle. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Rando489

ce4460

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Washington
First Name
Will
Last Name
Campbell
Member #

Service Branch
Army

It's a '99 with the 4.0 6 cyl. 120k. Just rebuilt after an accident. Seller is a buddy of mine and wants 6,000. I know the XJ has solid engine. Think it would be worth the buy? Would be my daily and overland vehicle.
$6k is kinda steep but it looks to be in great shape. It's easy to find these rigs for less $ but you'd also expect a few dings+. Yours looks straight which is becoming harder to find, so it might be worth paying up for it if the interior looks as good as the outside and you're comfortable with the condition of the 4.0.

J-Mah

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Whitehorse, YT, Canada
Member #

So the consensus appears to be that 6k is to steep. However if it is in as good of shape as the pictures would lead a person to believe and you feel you are getting value for your money then I would say do it. the only caveat would be to have a reputable shop do a full mechanical prior to the final sale so both you and your friend go in to is with eyes open as to not risk your friendship.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I don't like buying from friends because of all the potential hang ups, price negotiations, if issues arise shortly after purchase, etc. but if you're proceeding I'd stick closer to $5k on that Jeep.