The Ultimate Overland Checklist

• HTML tutorial

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I just discovered some totes made by ziplock that have 6 latches and a foam seal. They’re clear, so I use them for stuff inside my rig but they stack well and so far I’m impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: John D.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Love lists...I have been a back country backpacker for decades. Lists are your friend and I find I go over them a lot weeks, days and hours before a trip...nothing like hiking 15 mile into camp and forgetting your propane canister. On the other hand my girlfriend has always gone glamping and she has nothing that would fit into the uber-light category...so when we go we pack a full crew cab truck to the nines with equipment. I must say we have a great outdoors kitchen setup and friends feel pampered with my short order skills. Now that we have the Jeep we want...mainly me...to tone some of the gear down. @Michael you have put together a great list for our overlanding rig...at least I can say look honey overlanders don't bring so much stuff with them when we are going over the checklist.

Xplorer48

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, WA
Member #

Thanks for the list, meal ideas, etc. Since we have a pop up truck camper,we can pack more. It does t mean we do, but items are more readily accessible. Also, we have two dogs so it’s like packing for twin toddlers. I found a great lantern while shopping that is built tough and lots of light. Don’t know if I can name it, though so message me for info. Our list has been fine tuned over the years but more and more we travel to remote areas, so have more self-extraction gear and what if scenario items.

Ivan Montano

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Playas de Rosarito, Mexico
Member #

Excellent List Micheal, I will definitely get the cases you have, they seem really good and affordable. Looking forward to comparing your list to mine and add more stuff to our camping checklist, Thanks for the info.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Haha,
Haven't heard any call TP,"mountain money" in long time. Brought back many fun memories of some good times! Benz.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Hi again, another great article, but even though I'm logged in, I don't see a download button ..... all I see is:

Subscribers can download the checklist here:
You don't have permission to access this content
Sample Page

texascascio

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Denton Texas
Member #

Please detail recommended "truck tools". Thanks -
I am a Master Mechanic and would like to put my 2 cents here for you with what I bring with me ( I tend to bring a bit more seeing as I have the skill to help others in need and have the room). In my opinion, I would at least bring the following.

1. A test light for any electrical issues to trace down. Even if you are not familiar with them I'm sure someone around you while out on the trail would be and they will love you for having it if they try and help. You can pick up a cheap one that will do the job for under 5 dollars.
2. Just your run of the mill automotive toolkit with sockets, screwdrivers, and such. They are small and compact like the ones you can find at Home Depot, Walmart, Sears etc..
3. Jumper cables.
4. An inexpensive air compressor that you can plug into a cig lighter/power outlet for airing up tires and a tire plug repair kit. You can repair a nail hole, or puncture repairs on the trail safely.
5. Duck Tape - millions of uses, I even used it once to make a fan belt for someone on an old Chevy to get to town and it worked!

I would say water, hammer, First Aid kit, and some other items but I think they fall under what you should already have for camping in general.