Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Have any of you seen Sandpoint Steve’s invite for a trip in his neck of the woods in a couple weeks?
No. I am not sure who he is.
Steve used to be very active in the community. Still is some but not bear as much as he used to. He is in the coeur d’ alene area but has always seemed to have some nice trips. Haven’t been able to meet him in person but hoping I can finalize something and get out this year. Here is a link to the RSVP: Inland Northwest - Coeur d'Alene National Forest overnight Inland Northwest - Coeur d'Alene National Forest overnight - Overland Bound

Reactions: Ceg

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
He did the weekly sunday night call, really nice and knowledgeable guy.

I saw this, and unfortunately am working that weekend.

Reactions: Ceg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Have any of you seen Sandpoint Steve’s invite for a trip in his neck of the woods in a couple weeks?
No. I am not sure who he is.
Yes I did,

@Ceg, @Sandpoint Steve is the Northern Idaho/Northeastern Washington Member Representative. He also hosts a monthly conference call on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 7:30 pm Pacific time.
Inland Northwest Monthly Conference Call

As @G.Goodwin announced,Steve is also putting on the Inland Northwest - Coeur d'Alene National Forest overnight trip on September 11th and 12th (Covid Vacations are required)

Inland Northwest - Salmon River Beach Bonanza September 18th and 19th in Lewiston Idaho.

Lastly we have the Idaho Panhandle Overland Rally October 1st through 3rd in Sandpoint Idaho.

For more information about the above events click on the links to view the Rally Point Details.

Reactions: G.Goodwin

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Steve still does his calls on Sunday Nights, but has brought it down to 1 call a month… the other member Reps (myself included) have gotten distracted with other activities on Sunday’s.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

I was looking for them in the rally points and wasn’t being very successful. As you stated, it’s been very busy. I think everyone is on the same page

Steve still does his calls on Sunday Nights, but has brought it down to 1 call a month… the other member Reps (myself included) have gotten distracted with other activities on Sunday’s.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Small update on the “Adventure Machine”

for those that don’t know, the Adventure Machine is my 1989 Full Sized Bronco that I have been wrenching on for the past 2 some years and has gone through a major transplant.

I finally have the Adventure Machine road worthy again. I’ve been driving it around town for the past 3 weeks with a couple of slight issues. The idle is kind of wonky until it gets warmed up. What I mean by wonky is that if I plug my Idle Air Control Valve in, my idle hovers just shy of 1500 RPM, and if I depress the throttle the idle hangs indefinitely at 3000 rpm. This happens either warm or cold. If I unplug the IAC, the idle stays at 450 rpm until the engine reaches normal operations temps and then the idle smooths out to about 850 RPMs. I think I have it narrowed down to either a vacuum leak at the throttle body shafts, or a faulty Coolant Temp Sensor. First r the next couple of weeks I’m going to live with it.

Next up; my shifter was sloppy… so sloppy I couldn’t find the right gear while shifting. A shift tower rebuild kit with bushings, and about 20 minutes fixed this problem.

So now that most of the mechanical stuff is fixed, I went and did some fun stuff. Last night I spent a couple of hours putting in my Lido Mounts for my tablet, cellphone, and HT. I still need to fabricate a bracket to mount my Icom IC7100 and Kenwood TK-790H faceplates above the cell/HT mounts.
33D355E5-E11B-4E0E-984E-62C2D288204E.jpeg

I Today I’m going to start laying down the groundwork to install the mobile radios and build a HF screwdriver antenna.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Another great trip opportunity in the inland northwest.

-Steve

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Another great trip opportunity in the inland northwest.

-Steve
Im hoping to make this as well. Should know by the end of the week. Trying to figure out my schedule for the month.

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Here are the links to the many photos of this weeks overland trip:

2xAGM114

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Kendall-Skyline update: Saturday 28 August 2021
Drove from the Spokane area to Dayton, WA to begin the trail north to south. I had called ahead to both ranger districts and the incident command for the Green Ridge Fire to get the status of the road and was told the K-S trail was open (it forms the western border of the Green Ridge Fire closure area). About 20 miles out of Dayton, we hit closure signs and had to turn around.

Plan B was to drive to Walla2 and attempt to access the trail from the south via Mill Creek Road / NF-65. Made it all the way to Table Rock and knocked out a SOTA activation. The Fire Lookout spotter told us the entire K-S trail had just opened hours before and to continue north. He also gave us an epic campsite recommendation, which we used. The next morning, unable to find water at any of the springs, we continued north to NF-64 up to Godman campground and hit road closure signs. A firefighter there told us miscommunication had been a problem, with the new incident command team not understanding what was open or closed. We had to turn back and leave the trail via the NF-46 road back into Dayton.

Kendall-Skyline is still closed in segments.

Reactions: Ceg and MrWilsonWJ

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thanks for the heads up. I usually try to run this once a year and have been wonder if it was open. Any news if it's open from the Mill Creek access south to Tollgate?

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Kendall-Skyline update: Saturday 28 August 2021
Drove from the Spokane area to Dayton, WA to begin the trail north to south. I had called ahead to both ranger districts and the incident command for the Green Ridge Fire to get the status of the road and was told the K-S trail was open (it forms the western border of the Green Ridge Fire closure area). About 20 miles out of Dayton, we hit closure signs and had to turn around.

Plan B was to drive to Walla2 and attempt to access the trail from the south via Mill Creek Road / NF-65. Made it all the way to Table Rock and knocked out a SOTA activation. The Fire Lookout spotter told us the entire K-S trail had just opened hours before and to continue north. He also gave us an epic campsite recommendation, which we used. The next morning, unable to find water at any of the springs, we continued north to NF-64 up to Godman campground and hit road closure signs. A firefighter there told us miscommunication had been a problem, with the new incident command team not understanding what was open or closed. We had to turn back and leave the trail via the NF-46 road back into Dayton.

Kendall-Skyline is still closed in segments.
Thanks for the update. Looks like I will have to wait until next year since to do the Blues Trip.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Naches Ranger District lifted the closure orders for Little Naches.
Cle Elum Ranger District lifted the closure orders for the Manastash Area Roads.

We are doing a backroads trip in both those areas this weekend. If you would like to go you can find more info at
EWE Labor Day Weekend Camp Out & Backroads Trip - 9/3-6/21

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

A while back I bought a Baofang UV-82 and I was wondering if someone would be willing to lend a hand in getting it programmed? I can buy a cable but if I remember right @JL Lou and @PNW EXPLR had a cable handy. Thanks for any leads

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A while back I bought a Baofang UV-82 and I was wondering if someone would be willing to lend a hand in getting it programmed? I can buy a cable but if I remember right @JL Lou and @PNW EXPLR had a cable handy. Thanks for any leads
If you get the cable and download Chirp, I have the whole PNW file I can send you. Or if you want to try a hand at it yourself, I can walk you through the steps to populate Chirp and load your own program into your radio… which would be better for when you upgrade later on.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hey, yeah I have a cable. It might be in my RV in Oregon though. I will look. You plan on using Chirp to program?

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Hey, yeah I have a cable. It might be in my RV in Oregon though. I will look. You plan on using Chirp to program?
Haven’t got that far. If that’s what most people are using then yes

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Haven’t got that far. If that’s what most people are using then yes
Yes! Its easy. There are some good tutorials on YT