Ghosting

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Pendleton OR
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Haug
Welcome to the group, got an pictures of the cruiser? What's the plan for the build?
The folks I bought the rig from had driven it to Tierra del Fuego and back, living out of it for about three years. They are moving to France, so they sold it to me including a lot of the gear from their trip. Here's a link to some of their info on the rig: All About Wilbur

It came with OME suspension (I think they have the lift set to a little under an inch, but it could be adjusted higher), ARB front and rear bumpers (as well as a couple jerry can carriers), ARB drawers in the back and a custom platform in lieu of center-row seats, an extra battery, two 100w solar panels, an Engle fridge, and the name "Wilbur". We kept the name in honor of the Iron Pig we had back in the 1990s, which got me excited about Land Cruisers.

Since we got it, I've made a number of minor changes to their setup, including re-installing the second-row seats (I had to disassemble the ARB drawers and move them back a couple inches so the seats would fit). They had a custom storage box hung between the jerry can carriers, but it scraped them up allowing for a lot of rust. I spent part of this weekend sanding them down and repainting them (leaving a lot of drips... live and learn). I bought a second-hand roof rack from someone on IH8MUD, which should be here next week. I've already taken off the solar panels, and I'm trying to decide if I should re-install both, or just one to leave room for other storage on the roof (shovel & traction matts... etc).

For the time being that's it. I figure I need to get it out and see how I use it. I took it for an easy trip through the WA Cascades a couple of weeks ago, and slept in the back (pictures here: Northwest Walks). That worked pretty well for me. I'm planning to head down to the Steens and Alvord Desert in mid October. We'll see how that goes as well. After a couple more trips I should get some idea of what's working and what needs to be tweaked.

Any suggestions would be great!
DBH00263.jpg0903201303_HDR.jpg0927201039_HDR.jpg

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

The folks I bought the rig from had driven it to Tierra del Fuego and back, living out of it for about three years. They are moving to France, so they sold it to me including a lot of the gear from their trip. Here's a link to some of their info on the rig: All About Wilbur

It came with OME suspension (I think they have the lift set to a little under an inch, but it could be adjusted higher), ARB front and rear bumpers (as well as a couple jerry can carriers), ARB drawers in the back and a custom platform in lieu of center-row seats, an extra battery, two 100w solar panels, an Engle fridge, and the name "Wilbur". We kept the name in honor of the Iron Pig we had back in the 1990s, which got me excited about Land Cruisers.

Since we got it, I've made a number of minor changes to their setup, including re-installing the second-row seats (I had to disassemble the ARB drawers and move them back a couple inches so the seats would fit). They had a custom storage box hung between the jerry can carriers, but it scraped them up allowing for a lot of rust. I spent part of this weekend sanding them down and repainting them (leaving a lot of drips... live and learn). I bought a second-hand roof rack from someone on IH8MUD, which should be here next week. I've already taken off the solar panels, and I'm trying to decide if I should re-install both, or just one to leave room for other storage on the roof (shovel & traction matts... etc).

For the time being that's it. I figure I need to get it out and see how I use it. I took it for an easy trip through the WA Cascades a couple of weeks ago, and slept in the back (pictures here: Northwest Walks). That worked pretty well for me. I'm planning to head down to the Steens and Alvord Desert in mid October. We'll see how that goes as well. After a couple more trips I should get some idea of what's working and what needs to be tweaked.

Any suggestions would be great!
View attachment 171623View attachment 171624View attachment 171625
I do believe based on Wilbur there that I told Mr. Wilson incorrect sticker colors, apparently it is blue and white stickers that add HP :) Nice 100 Series, looks like a great start on the build already.

• Haha
Reactions: Ghosting

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi." I'm in Pendleton, and just bought a 2001 Land Cruiser. I'm pretty inexperienced with overlanding, and looking forward to getting out and learning.
Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet some of you on the trail at some point.
Welcome!

Reactions: Ghosting and M Rose

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
A meet up sounds great! Hopefully I can make it if something gets organized. I am working the second and third weekends in October...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@garrett.goodwin4320 there are quite a few 3rd gens on Craigslist right now. I’ve been looking for a first gen for my daughter.

I finally have the engine and transmission out of the Bronco. I should be picking up the engine today and starting to get it ready to drop back in.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

@garrett.goodwin4320 there are quite a few 3rd gens on Craigslist right now. I’ve been looking for a first gen for my daughter.

I finally have the engine and transmission out of the Bronco. I should be picking up the engine today and starting to get it ready to drop back in.
She'll be a bucking Bronco again in no time, or at least hopefully before the snow starts.