Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Third gens are a nice choice for a build and good daily driver, harder to find one without a billion miles on it though. 3.4 is a reliable motor.
Hoping to find something with less than 250K miles. I found one for a good price that just had a fully rebuilt motor replaced in it and is in fantastic condition but I need to sell the truck first to be able to afford it. Time will only tell what happens.

As far as the 4runner goes it is a great rig to build. My thought was to get the landcruiser finished and built and then build the 4runner and use both. The wife could drive one and I could drive the other. If they both last a decent amount of time then the kid could drive it and me and the wife can be in the other. Just a thought.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Hoping to find something with less than 250K miles. I found one for a good price that just had a fully rebuilt motor replaced in it and is in fantastic condition but I need to sell the truck first to be able to afford it. Time will only tell what happens.

As far as the 4runner goes it is a great rig to build. My thought was to get the landcruiser finished and built and then build the 4runner and use both. The wife could drive one and I could drive the other. If they both last a decent amount of time then the kid could drive it and me and the wife can be in the other. Just a thought.
A good thought, that is kind similar to my plan. Wife doesn’t want to drive, but the kid has a couple of years until he gets his license. If I start now I could always have a second/chase/recovery rig on runs. Or just a back up rig in I do something really stupid out there.

Reactions: G.Goodwin

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

A good thought, that is kind similar to my plan. Wife doesn’t want to drive, but the kid has a couple of years until he gets his license. If I start now I could always have a second/chase/recovery rig on runs. Or just a back up rig in I do something really stupid out there.
Which is always a plus no matter how you look at it

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Couldn’t look at one more spreadsheet this week. Made a run from Rimrock Lake to Conrad Meadows and then around the back to Ahtanum Campground at the other end of my loop. Fall is turning the leaves now so if you can get out and play it is a good time to do it. Will throw my track and pics in their appropriate places later, but here are a couple of pics for now. The pretense of the trip was scouting new campsites.EAE262B9-C85E-4130-99A7-667A336F1F85.jpeg5FA04DF4-9C98-4E3E-B261-8848A5859FD4.jpeg

Ghosting

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Pendleton OR
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Haug
So... just curious what you guys are using for communication. I already have a Garmin Inreach Mini that I use for backpacking, but I'm trying to decide what I should settle on for radio. GMRS, CB, ... Ham? I'm curious about arguments for each, but probably more important: How common are the different systems among folks in this area?
Thanks.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Most of us are Hams, fallowed closely by GMRS, only one is running CB, but he is upgrading to Ham very soon.

if you’re interested in becoming a Ham, DM and I will get you in touch with the closest testing to you. There are testing sessions in Walla-Walla, La Grande, and Kennewick. I have pdf study guides that I loan out as well as a list of study apps.
So... just curious what you guys are using for communication. I already have a Garmin Inreach Mini that I use for backpacking, but I'm trying to decide what I should settle on for radio. GMRS, CB, ... Ham? I'm curious about arguments for each, but probably more important: How common are the different systems among folks in this area?
Thanks.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Thanks.
Guilty of GMRS only at this point, and oddly a section of my trail today requires CB channel 14 M-F, good thing it was Sunday. CB is going away slowly for overlanders generally it seems.

Reactions: Ghosting

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I’ve been talking with 3 new ham radio operators over the past two to three weeks that got their tickets because the Jeep Club they run with switched to Ham.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Thanks.
Our club uses CBs. A lot of them are Uniden 505, 510, & 520.

4Wheelexplorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Pasco, WA, USA
First Name
Bret
Last Name
Overbaugh
Member #

Thanks.
Price point, especially for new overlanders, is probably a factor in choice, many “serious” rigs will have all three types onboard. That is most often seen in dedicated rigs, those who use their vehicles daily or perhaps can’t keep their trail rig locked away safely may have reasons to choose specific types. Budget will play a part in any build. I think @M Rose and @Ceg have points for group use. I have a bad habit of being a lone wolf so my thinking may vary from theirs.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Any progress or ideas for an October meetup? I'll be gone this weekend and probably still harvesting the following, but the weekend of the 24 or 31 I should be free.

G.Goodwin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Any progress or ideas for an October meetup? I'll be gone this weekend and probably still harvesting the following, but the weekend of the 24 or 31 I should be free.
im in the same boat. This is my Saturday month. I’ll look to see what the 24th might look like.