Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looks good. I was thinking it was priced well too. Might look at doing a rear for my ram
I might have to decide to go this way with my Bronco. I can’t beat the price... and if they ever make the running boards for my Bronco it will go from maybe to heck yea.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Nice and shiny. How big over stock did you go? Cuz if you're doing the work of fixing things and replacing parts you might as well go bigger and badder. Did you figure out what the cause of the problem was? I know they have turbo issues do to soot buildup, I've always tried to limit idle time on mine and when I do have the rpm's bumped up a bit, also using the exhaust brake as much as I can. I hope sticking to those will extend the life but it seems pretty common to start having problems around 100k-150k miles.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Can this Spokane kid crash the party? Ill bring beer...
Sure, anyone is welcome and we like beer. It's kind of just an open BS session in here, no real topic. We actually had someone from Spokane ( @CurrentlyRockhoundin ) come down for our first meetup in December. We don't have a place in mind for February yet, but if you're free you're more than welcome. Our plan, weather permitting, is a potluck outside somewhere.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I might have to decide to go this way with my Bronco. I can’t beat the price... and if they ever make the running boards for my Bronco it will go from maybe to heck yea.
So I've always had this idea of building a convertible running board/ rock slider if I was ever to have a dd that I was also going to take off road. The idea would be to build a regular slider out of 2"x3" rec tube or whatever fits the vehicle for the protection of the bottom of the rocker. But rather then welding the round tube that normally comes up at an angle for body protection you would make it detachable with mounts to have it angled up for off road and angled down for daily use as a step. I know that having it detachable it won't be as solid as welded so body protection wont be as good, but really if it was also my dd I probably wouldn't be wheeling it as hard and the lower portion would still be a regular slider which is the more likely place damage will happen.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Nice and shiny. How big over stock did you go? Cuz if you're doing the work of fixing things and replacing parts you might as well go bigger and badder. Did you figure out what the cause of the problem was? I know they have turbo issues do to soot buildup, I've always tried to limit idle time on mine and when I do have the rpm's bumped up a bit, also using the exhaust brake as much as I can. I hope sticking to those will extend the life but it seems pretty common to start having problems around 100k-150k miles.
That was exactly what was happening. The crew that is doing the work, tends to focus on Rams. He said he has replaced turbos on 3 in the last month not including mine. He did a '17 with 70k that was sooted up. He did say the the remanned stock turbos are crap.
I went with a BD364. Good spoolup, and good for towing. I am not looking to make tons of power, I am satisfied with a touch over 500hp. While it's there, a few other parts will be falling off as well!

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I've always had this idea of building a convertible running board/ rock slider if I was ever to have a dd that I was also going to take off road. The idea would be to build a regular slider out of 2"x3" rec tube or whatever fits the vehicle for the protection of the bottom of the rocker. But rather then welding the round tube that normally comes up at an angle for body protection you would make it detachable with mounts to have it angled up for off road and angled down for daily use as a step. I know that having it detachable it won't be as solid as welded so body protection wont be as good, but really if it was also my dd I probably wouldn't be wheeling it as hard and the lower portion would still be a regular slider which is the more likely place damage will happen.
I like this idea. Could build it so that hitch pins would be used to lock it in position.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I like this idea. Could build it so that hitch pins would be used to lock it in position.
That’s how the big army MRAPS sliders work... in a way... this gets me to thinking... time to hit up my brother for some buzz box time

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Who is up for a February meet up?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Who is up for a February meet up?
It’s already in the works check out the following thread...

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Anyone who hasn't seen the thread over in the meetup section, RP has been updated with Feb details. Hope to see everyone there!

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Sorry I couldn’t make it. I had some issues come up while workin on my yard. But I’m looking forward to the next meetup.
We missed you. Looking forward to meeting you

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Anyone familiar with the green dot roads and their maps? I was looking at some and there are roads with winter closures and complete areas with winter closures but roads that go along them that are marked as open during "winter" I guess my question is, are the roads marked solid green but outside of the closed for winter areas open all year? This is the first time I've ever really check out the green dot maps and want to make sure i'm reading them correct. Also has anyone been to the area on this map?

Attachments

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Those in the whiskey dick area? I went there a few months ago. Spent a few hours exploring. It was really muddy, and not alot to hook a winch to, So I did one loop and called it.

Here is my GPX trail if you want it. it is a 13.8 mile loop~ish

GPX viewer

Attachments